Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_greenberg21

Growing moss indoors?

First time poster, was very interested in starting an indoor moss plant. I think it is an underappreciated plant and has some of the most vibrant green colors. In my head I imagined growing it as a normal potted plant that could be left to the open air inside my apartment but from a brief search most articles indicate it should be in a closed container such as a mason jar. Does it really need to be covered?
Also I find the texture of moss soothing. Is touching moss or the oils on skin detrimental to it?

Thanks for any responses.

Comments (4)

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Different mosses would have different levels of toughness so it would depend on which one you had. You can always try experimenting but you're more likely to do better with constant higher humidity and less touching.

Jonathan Greenberg thanked tropicbreezent
  • theterrestrialman
    7 years ago

Perhaps the easiest moss species to grow inside a house is Sphagnum. It does not look anything like the little green carpet you may be imagining but it is a bryophyte and it can be grown in a cup of distilled water under good light and probably sitting on a moisture tray.

The various species that form carpets vary so widely you would need to know what genus it is in order to do justice to it. Most available on eBay from the Pacific Northwest would need cool temperatures year round and high humidity.

This you could do by growing in an uncovered aquarium in containers that you can move outside if you wish. These should be misted lightly daily.

Those on eBay that come from the eastern US probably would tolerate regular house temps except during winter when they would need to be kept cold.

Again grow in containers that can be moved outside. These could handle drier air but twice a week misting with distilled water is recommended.

For all growing in a container is best. I believe that for the low growing mosses

that a shallow container is best. Put a layer of felt in the bottom of the container and then use only river sand. No fertilizers of any kind, except for a very diluted fish emulsion (15%) which I think might be safe for most.

For the taller species such as Polystichum a shallow pot again with a felt layer in the bottom of the pot covered with a half inch of river sand and the moss set down inside the pot to grow.

Please keep in mind my recommendations are of a generalized nature. Mosses are unique and some quite exacting in their culture. But they are also tenacious and survive in places you would expect to find them, such as on rusting vehicles!!

Good luck.

This is a moss species from the state of Georgia. As with all my mosses I grew this species outside and it received about 4 hours of sun and was shaded the rest of the time. I watered it with reverse osmosis water daily either with overhead soaking or spraying. During harsh windy days I sprayed often.

A beautiful plant. Unfortunately I got sick several years ago with pneumonia and was so incapacitated for two months that I was not able to care for them as needed and lost almost all of my moss collection. But I have the photos!!

Jonathan Greenberg thanked theterrestrialman
  • siobhangmcnabb
    7 years ago

Hi ,

you mentioned good lighting to enhance and sustain the growth of Moss inside.

What kind of lighting is best? What sort of bulb, and how bright should it be?

thanks

• Jonathan Greenberg
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello all, its been awhile and thank you for the responses.

I have learned a bit after my first failed attempt. I am trying to grow Leucoryum glaucum or pincushion moss. My previous attempt ended with a stringy mold overtaking the pot so I had to through it out.

Thus far I have a small piece, about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch thick in an open glass container on top of potting soil. So far so good, it requires daily misting or it starts to look desiccated. It has not appeared to grow yet, but from what I read moss is very slow-growing. Over the weekend I overwatered it, and a few hours later I noticed these transparent worms moving around on top of the moss. After some research I think I identified them as nematodes, however the question is whether they are beneficial or harmful to the moss. I am guessing they were desiccated until I over-watered and revived them. I am not sure if I should leave them or remove them, they could be eating any fungal/bacterial growth which would most likely be beneficial to the moss.

Any tips or suggestions going forward? I've thought about maybe putting some seran wrap with holes over the top to help retain moisture but it seems like daily misting might be good enough.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor