Software
Houzz Logo Print
jsacks67

Need help with kitchen backsplash -- tile size

9 years ago

Hello houzzers, I need help deciding between a 3 x 6 tile backsplash or a 3 x 12 (actually, 75mm x 100mm). The house/kitchen is old (1924). I love traditional, vintage finishes, but our style is more transitional because we had to renovate over unfortunate changes from the 1970s. The counter is silver wave granite (see photo), the cabinets are inset shaker style painted off- white (BM Simply White). Cannot decide between 3x6 subway tile. There's a wavy one I like (see photos). However, the 3x12 tile with the crackle finish is a little less bright and better matches the white of the cabinets and the white in the granite. The tile is going to go over the windows, (see photo). Do you think this works, or is the larger format too modern? Too trendy? I'm planning on laying the tile 1/2 offset (running brick). If we went with the 3x12, the other issue is whether it would look


too long over the standard 30" stove. This photo is the 3x6.


This is a rough drawing of kitchen. The tile would go to ceiling under the hood and over the two windows to the right. (The wall naturally jogs out a 1/2" or so to the left of the hood, so that's where the tile would end.)

A separate issue: do you think tiling over the window is too much tile?