Software
Houzz Logo Print
randi_holbrook

Are these roots normal?

9 years ago

My Carnosa Tri-color 'suberb' is coming out by the roots! It's almost as if the plant is too heavy for the roots. I will post pics of the roots so you can tell me if they're dead. Also, a pic of the whole plant. It doesn't look that bad, except that it's a bit more "wrinkly" for lack of a better word. Been in that light, small orchid mix (Gubler's) and maybe the mix isn't heavy enough? Added a thin layer of pebbles, but it's still trying to fall out of the pot, roots and all, no matter how deeply it is potted! By the way, it's two plants in one pot. Thanks!





Any suggestions?



Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago

    They look quite dark. The best way to tell is by the stem where they are attached. If it is dry and dead looking, they probably are not good. I would take a few cuts of the still good stems of the plant and reroot them now. Then take the remainder and soak it, and repot, and hope for the best. When you cut the stems, if you see sap, then the stem is good. If no sap and dry wood looking...it is dead.

    Randi Holbrook thanked mairzy_dotes
  • 9 years ago

    One stem where it attaches to roots is brown, the other is green.Okay, I just cut the brown one, and no sap came out. So I was left with just a short green stem with a few leaves on it. I soaked it and stuck it in orchid mix. We'll see what happens with the other one (green stem). I soaked it also. I guess I underwatered! All my other hoyas look fine, but I'm going to step up the watering frequency by a few days.



  • 9 years ago

    My KQ has the same "leathery" wrinkly leaves. I have checked the roots and they seemed ok, it's now putting on new growth in several places so who knows? I suspect I neglected it too much in the past and the damage is done now.

    Randi Holbrook thanked triffidmoss
  • 9 years ago

    Looks like something is preventing your plants from drinking, that's what the wrinkles make me think. Looks like it wasn't well rooted or potted deeply enough to drink.

    I'd try putting one of those in water to try to get t re-hydrated.

    When you pot them back up, I'd put some rocks on top of the cutting to hold it down securely.

    Randi Holbrook thanked lmontestella
  • 9 years ago

    I can't understand why all my other hoyas are fine, and they have had the same care. I soaked both and potted them back up, putting more pebbles on top, and I guess it's now just a waiting game to see if they make it.

  • 9 years ago

    could be that the roots have a fungus. i have roses and always have fungicides around. if if were mine I would do a drench of Clearys 3336 just to make sure. but would I run out and get the clearys? probably not. dipping the roots in cinnamon before planting would have been an option.

    good luck. things may just work out anyway.

    Randi Holbrook thanked Laura F (z9FL)
  • 9 years ago

    The plant is limping along. The other half died, now this one is not looking great. Is STILL trying to climb out of the pot! Almost no roots to anchor it. I put the pebbles on top, but it's still happening, and I have to keep burying the roots. I know they don't like that much handling and it's making matters worse. Things don't look good right now. . . sigh.

  • 9 years ago

    How is your "Lisa" doing?

    Randi Holbrook thanked tlbean2004
  • 9 years ago

    It lookes to me like you had early root rot. If it was a recently rooted cutting, I'd expect a small root system. But if it was already established, I'd expect a more substantial root system for a cutting that large.

    I will tell you that mine do well in the Gubler mix, no issues unless there is an actual plant problem, like a poor root system. Poor roots, of course, make a plant unstable and likely to fall out of the pot.

    I have my carnosas and pubicalyx potted up in a mix similar to Gubler (same ingredients, except plant charcoal chunks added). They require weekly watering until rooted, then I water every 10-14 days in the colder months, back to weekly when they go outside for the warmer weather.


    Randi Holbrook thanked aurorawa
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, tlbean. My Lisa is doing fine! Thing is, when I got the my hoyas, most were in soil, not the Gubler fine orchid mix. I didn't want to repot them, since it was already fall, so I left them in the soil. I shouldn't have because the tricolor got root rot. I hope none of the others do. I have four others that I haven't put into the lighter mix yet. The Lisa, thankfully, was one that I repotted into the Gubler mix, as its soil was EXTREMELY water retentive. Sounds as if I've been watering a bit too frequently if you only water every 10-14 days in cold months, and weekly in warmer months, aurorawa. I had been watering about every 4-5 days in summer. It's hard to find the right balance with watering for me!

Sponsored
More Discussions