Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmcd1701

Time for a change??

9 years ago
I am thinking of changing my slipper chairs (they are a little too big, I think) for canvas safari chairs. I'm not sure if it would look good as the style is pretty different from anything else I've got going on. Comfort vs style?? Advice welcomed.

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    I think the canvas chair could work well. I agree that the others are too big, in that the seat portion sticks out too far. Place the new chairs a little further from the wall so that both have clear leg room. However, the room is very eclectic already -- I think what sits most uncomfortably are the 'carver' chairs at the head and tail of the table. You might rethink those, too, and use something that matches better with the rest of the dining chairs. The rest of the room is more casual. The chandelier can work as a crazy bit of fun, but I'd tie those chairs in with the more relaxed vibe. They're just too shiny.

    I would also remove the feather decor and put it somewhere else -- I like it, but it's fighting with the picture gallery and over-filling the wall.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Rina. What would you use instead of the leather dining chairs? Any ideas? Could I get away with just slip covering them?
  • 9 years ago

    I agree that the chairs are fine, but would look better in a bright fabric.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Weber design. I had them angled and everyone told me to straighten them out! Lol. They actually work better angled as they then have a little more leg room. And I also kind of agree with you re: so close to the dining chairs, which is why I posted in the first place. Just wasn't sure if it would work or look too leggy. And I had looked into either reupholstering them, but it costs a lot! Will rethink. I do love the safari chairs, but thinking they could work as part of a breakfast nook in the kitchen.
  • 9 years ago

    I like the current chairs as-is. The safari ones are awesome, but if it ain't broke...

  • 9 years ago

    So nice to see a beautiful, fun room with some personality.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you guys!!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I like the slipper chairs and to me, the safari chairs don't look that comfortable. They would look better in a light color, perhaps something with a pattern.

  • 9 years ago

    Kathi, sorry I didn't reply earlier -- it's been overnight here, and the conversation is moving on. Yes, I think slip covering would work well.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Perhaps even one of the chairs below might work in your space? All of the photos are from our designs.

    Designer's Cottage: Interiors · More Info

    Designer's Guest House: Interiors · More Info

    Modern Farmhouse · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    The problem is not the slipper chair but rather that this room looks a tad crowded. How often are the two slipper chairs used? How often are the white chairs at the table used? If you rarely use all your chairs all of the time, I would do the following, which is free to try out:

    1. Remove one slipper chair and put a larger table next to it and angle it slightly.

    2. Remove zebra pillow and put a white pillow on slipper chair to have it tie in with the wall color.

    3. Remove the two white chairs at the dining table. Put the wood chairs one on each side of the oval table.

    4. Roll up the dining room rug and take it out of the picture temporarily. Nice rug but very busy and makes the space feel crowded.

    5. Or keep both slipper chairs and remove the rug and two white chairs. I think it is the competition of all these pieces that is the challenge.

    I think that all of these changes will give the room a much more spacious feel. I think the safari chairs look uncomfortable. Do you have space anywhere else in your home to put the extra pillow chair and/or the white chairs? If you can store a white chair in another room, you could always bring it out into the living room area if you are having a gathering.

  • 9 years ago

    @Betty. Thank you. I love the first and last white chairs that you posted. I tried clicking on the link for more information, but the links were not working. I am in Canada, so I'd be interested in price in CAD dollars and shipping costs. Thanks.

    @Kendrah: Thank you for your advice. I downsized considerably a year and a half ago and am aware that many of my pieces are meant for a much larger space. Having said that, there are ways that I could create more room. The table has a leaf and I could make it a round. But then there is just dead space between the living room and dining room and I only have about 500 sq ft between the two. I can't afford dead space. Also, 4 chairs may have worked a couple of months ago, but my mom has recently come to live with me as my dad passed away in December. Suddenly, I have siblings coming to visit every weekend. This is a 1200 sq ft townhouse. There are no more rooms to store anymore chairs.

    I went rug-less in the dining room for a year. I just purchased the rug, and while it was not expensive, I actually love the harder edge that it brings to the space. I am pretty girly and so are my daughters. I think the black and white accents balance that out.

    In theory, I love (really really love) an all white room. But in reality, I'm way more bohemian than I ever could have guessed.

    I really love my little townhouse. I have spent the last year fixing it up and making it mine. I ripped out the kitchen, replaced the flooring, painted, re-painted (more times than I will admit here) and I think I'm just so used to changing things up that I wanted to start on the furniture. Then I saw the safari chairs on Craigslist for an awesome price and really liked them. If I still had my 4000 sq ft house, I would've bought those too and found a home for them somewhere. As it is, even I realize that in this townhouse, I've visually maxed out and will consider editing where I can.

  • 9 years ago

    So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have made a comfortable space for you and your mom. Glad you are discovering your bohemian side! Given the frequent visitors, I would keep most everything as it is. Plus, it sounds like you enjoy a kind of dense look.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida