Software
Houzz Logo Print
alet03

Help me with my awkward rectangular living room :(

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Hey everyone! I really need help with decorating and furnishing ideas to fit this space! It is pretty much a rectangular room with the entry door at one end and the doors to the yard at the other end. It connects to the open kitchen and I am having so much trouble figuring out how to decorate it because I find that if I push the seating toward one end of the room, it's too close to the entry door, and if i push it toward the other door then I'm left with an empty space at the front that I don't know how to fill. Also, the wall is pretty long so I don't know if I should center the paintings above the sofa or fill the whole thing?? Right now the walls look pretty sad and only have two paintings kinda hanging there. Geez I have looked at sooo many ideas everywhere and can't seem to work this out! It's like a puzzle!

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    More photos from entryway and the empty corner behind furniture..
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much carfreak13 ! I've been thinking about placing a tall object in that corner too! I'll keep looking for the right thing!
  • 13 years ago
    I think the problem is a lack of color on the walls. You have a lot of great pieces and they are payed out ok. Also the chunky blinds look a bit disheveled and distract from the other clean lines in the room.
  • 13 years ago
    A narrow armoire to the right of the window may come in handy for additional storage.
  • 13 years ago
    These are great ideas! An armoire would be perfect for that empty corner and this house has barely any storage so that would come in very handy!
  • 13 years ago
    I love the idea of the armoire. I also think the addition of curtains will add a finishing touch to your space.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, yes - curtains!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    alet, your living room is very nice as it is. You have a good sense of color, balance, shapes, lighting, and space. If anything, I'd like even fewer things in it, not more. :) Enjoy the space. :)
    Modern Dream Home · More Info

    Dean Nota FAIA · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    looks to me that you have a good sense of design already ! are you sure you need help !!!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes I should probably replace the curtains(those don't even close all the way) but what color/kind should I get? Thanks so much for all your comments and compliments but I still see some empty spaces here and there and maybe i'm just torturing myself over it when actually less is more sometimes as some of you have said.
  • 13 years ago
    Perhaps a small narrow console table behind the white chair? I'm thinking that when you walk in the front door you wouldn't be confronted with the back of a piece of furniture. You might then put a large piece of artwork on the wall next to the window, perhaps with a bench under it. Tthat may create the sense of a small entry "room". If you opted instead for carfreak 13's suggestion, your tall object could be an interesting coat tree. You wouldn't have to actually hang your own coats on it so it wouldn't look messy. It would be a convenient place to hang a guest's coat. I think you have done a great job with the furniture arrangement, though. This is such a great forum to get ideas you would never think of! I hope you post a photo of the solution you decide on.
  • 13 years ago
    I like what you have also. I do think the problem is wall color. Or lack of. I think the right color would really tie everything together.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow these are great suggestions! It's always great when someone else sees the space with a fresh set of eyes! I live in Miami so a coat hanger will definitely ONLY be for decor purposes since it's never cold here! but I think it will give the empty corner something to complete it. I already have the floor lamp on the other corner and it looks great by itself. As for lack of color, I agree! The thing is, the big ivory couch was handed down to us and I really feel like it's so bulky and dull that it really needs wall color or throw pillows (i've added some) at least until we buy a new couch with better fabric choice.
  • 13 years ago
    Something like this for window treatments where you have the white blinds would be nice
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/3454851
  • 13 years ago
    A couple of coat tree ideas and a wall grid rack. Lots of luck