Software
Houzz Logo Print
frenchtarragon

Managing water around faucet base with butcher block countertops

9 years ago

Here's the issue: We have a butcher block countertop with an undermount sink and pull-out faucet. After washing, you use a wet hand to turn off the faucet and a little water drips from your hand onto the counter. Some water will also drip onto the faucet and then seep its way down onto the counter. The counter is sealed with a mineral-oil based product and water beads well on it, so we haven't had any problems with water-damaged wood. That being said, its easy to see how regular water drips could become problematic down the road. For now, we keep a small towel nearby and wipe around the faucet after each use, but I wonder if anyone else has found a more permanent solution?

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago

    A friend has a butcher block counter. Had it for years. They're no slouches, and try to keep it dry. But, there is a lot of caulking around the sink area. Maybe it's just inevitable with water and wood.

    frenchtarragon thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    IMO what you are doing works fine but you need to remember to apply oil there a lot more often than the rest of the counter .I usually use the style of sink like in this pic for wood counters so just be careful to use the oil more often , I know there is a product called water lox you might want to check out for that area , I don’t like it for the whole counter

    frenchtarragon thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    I have that problem and a splash problem with my sink and faucet. I've resorted to 9 x 16 microfiber drying mats on both sides of the faucet for daily use and when company comes I wipe up a lot. A slope would be genius as would guidance by salespeople regarding a splash problem.

    frenchtarragon thanked Anne Duke
  • 9 years ago

    I'm not a big fan of high tech solutions for low tech problems, but in addition to the previous post regarding additional application of oil being necessary, I would consider a touch-faucet. You simply touch the spout and the water turns on, touch again and it goes off. I also like the idea of rotating the handle to the front side, although I don't like the look as well as a side installation.

    frenchtarragon thanked billbarclift
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone.

    patricia coldwell consulting - we considered waterlox and did a lot of research on it. we ultimately decided against it because of the long cure time and some user complaints of a lingering smell despite adequate ventilation. that being said, it may be the perfect solution if we apply some just around the faucet base. we'll also be sure to regularly reseal.

    mspo - we considered caulking around the faucet base but weren't sure it would be enough to prevent water from sitting on the counter. since it worked for your friend, though, we'll probably caulk after we add the waterlox fro good measure

    jhmarie & billbarclift - we aren't looking to buy a new faucet since we spent a good deal on this one, but both of your ideas are fantastic and if we'd spoken with you beforehand, we would probably have bought a touch faucet (we considered it but didn't think it would be very beneficial, little did we know), or a single handle faucet with the handle on the side instead of on top like the one we have.

    anne duke - agreed, a slope would definitely fix the problem. with wood counters, its probably not even difficult to chisel the slightest slope in.

  • 9 years ago
    There are some drawbacks to touch faucets, for my purposes the use of batteries was the deterrent. Not easy to deal with for someone who has hand issues. Love the idea though.
  • last year

    We are considering applying a vinyl protection, similar to the waterproof vinyl used on vehicles. It is clear and hopefully will stick to the oil surface. Anybody tried this before?

  • last year

    You could consider foot pedal controls for your faucet. It is an add on that can be purchased from Kohler and works with many brands of faucets. I have them in both of my kitchens and love them. No more doughy hands on the sink handles