Software
Houzz Logo Print
tnischik

Inexpensive Kitchen Cabinets?

9 years ago

We are beginning the process of renovating our kitchen. We have a 1950's ranch with cove ceilings. Over the existing cabinets, the cove creates a soffit which is 14.5" deep. We cannot use Ikea cabinets due to their limited sizes and 15" deep uppers. I know there are other cost conscious cabinets available. I'm curious about other people's suggestions and experiences.

You should also know, the cove ceiling will not be removed.

Comments (10)

  • 9 years ago

    Cool cove. If the cabinet boxes are solid, have you thought about just resurfacing them and getting new doors and drawer fronts? That's what I did with the cabinets when I bought my house. You can veneer the frames and get doors to match.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, I love the coves too. The cabinets are from 1957. They are awful. They have only 14" of clearance from the countertops which is annoying. Also, they have a ton of dead space in the corners. Currently, I have to store food in with my dinnerware because we are out of space. If refacing were an option, I'd be all over it.

  • 9 years ago

    Kitchens are the hardest working rooms in a the home. Why anyone would do cheap disposable cabinets is beyond me. Buy twice and endure the renovations twice rather buying long term cheaper once than buying poor quality to begin with? That is nuts.

  • 9 years ago

    Right. I didn't say cheap cabinets. I said cost conscious. We would never get the money back on an expensive kitchen if we moved. For some people, money is no object. However, for some of us price is the difference between doing it and not doing it at all. There are plywood cabinets that are RTA. I'm asking people for their experiences.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Several options can work. You can purchase low cost pre-fab wall cabinets (better to go at least mid-grade) that are 12" deep. This leaves about 3" of exposed underside of cove. Depending on the method by which cove was framed, you can patch and paint the exposed underside of cove, install a crown or trim piece to cover it, or "furr out" the 12" cabinet from the wall so the face comes out to the cove edge (may need a filler under the wall cab).

  • 9 years ago

    Contact contractors who renovate larger homes in your area and let them know you're looking for good quality second hand cabinets. When we renovated our flooring and kitchen, a couple saw the trucks in front of our house and poked their head in to ask if we had any old hardwood flooring they could use. We asked for no payment but they removed the flooring themselves, saving us the cost of removal and saving the wood from the garbage bin. We also gave away our kitchen cabinets/door that were eventually refurbished and used in another home.

  • 9 years ago
    I'd like to suggest finding local cabinetmakers and get quotes. You may be pleasantly surprised.
  • 9 years ago

    Our local Habitat for Humanity (Tulsa, OK) Restore sells cabinets. A group of retired guys make them for the Habitat homes and make extra for the Restore. Well made at a great price.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Not a kitchen designer, but investigate Woolf or Bertch cabinets. Woolf is $. Bertch is $$, but ask about the countertops available with Bertch. There is a “program” which makes counters more affordable.

    Hope this helps.

    tnischik thanked JudyG Designs