Software
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Counter stools - need suggestions

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So my kitchen is done.

We had a bar height counter that we took down to counter height. I had these stools from years ago — they are cheapies - and just needed something temporary at the time we finished.

I don't really think they go with the space; but one thing we really like is that they swivel.

I need to have a back, as we sit here a lot.

Any thoughts? Should I just keep them?

Budget is a factor - and I don't want to spend more than $300 per stool.

Kitchen before and after · More Info

Kitchen before and after · More Info

Comments (32)

  • 9 years ago

    Still drooling over your countertops! I say you deserve new stools :)

    jpmom thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

    I'm really into the Ballard Designs Chippendale stools or one of the many bistro stools on trend right now. I don't think they swivel though but would look amazing in your kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    Hmmmm Arms - never really thought of that. I'll have to do some research!

  • 9 years ago

    smm - just looked at Ballard and I like that stool! Would you recommend the black?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Can you post pic of adjoining room? I think black but wanted to see how ties in with the family room

  • 9 years ago

    Here's another one depending on adjoining space.

  • 9 years ago

    smm - here you go:

    I'm considering recovering the two chairs in a solid; but it's not a priority right now. FYI


    Kitchen before and after · More Info



    Kitchen before and after · More Info



    Kitchen before and after · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I also posted in HD and someone suggested these — what do you think?


  • 9 years ago

    Oh I would definitely do the Ballard Designs ones in black. They'll look amazing in your space. The ones you posted from Wayfair are just kinda blah to me.

    jpmom thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We're happy with our Crate & Barrel Lowe Leather Bar Stools. They're very comfortable but not a statement piece. Pushing the edge of your budget @ $279 for counter height, but watch for sales.


    jpmom thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • 9 years ago

    Love those Ballard stools. They're a little pricy for me but they're going on the list.

  • 9 years ago

    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/vintner-white-counter-stool/s605786


    We have these. They don't swivel but I really like them.

  • 9 years ago

    Hmmm I may have different tastes than some of the above, but I'd be looking for something much cleaner and simpler than the recs above. In fact, I prefer your existing chair to the other selections above -- the only thing I would want to change is the floral swirl on the back, which I think is too busy and fighting with the clean simplicity of your beautiful kitchen. I think some of the chairs above are going to also start looking way to busy with the upholstered chairs in the sitting area. I do think round is the way to go (because it's softer, and will mesh better with the sitting area vibe). But I'd look for round black chairs with simple geometric lines, and without any sort of bulky seat.

    jpmom thanked H202
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    H202 - thank you for that feedback. I totally see what you mean.

    My problem is finding the swivel - but we may have to sacrifice that for a better looking stool.

    Here's another one I found:


    And this one:

    (it also comes in a finish that is black with brushed gold… but photo is unavailable)


  • 9 years ago

    How about this for a dumb suggestion before you spend money on new chairs: Paint the floral inset on your current chairs creamy white to match your kitchen. It may look terrible and cheap, or maybe it's totally fine. In which case you could upgrade the fabric also (I'd stick with something simple but a little less brown undertones). I like both of your chair suggestions.

    jpmom thanked H202
  • 9 years ago

    So far I only like the top one you posted, but I'd make the swivel a priority. I think the Wayfair looks too English pub, the rattan too Florida, and the Chippendale too formal.

    jpmom thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Ballard Marcello stool These are very comfortable and attractive in person.

    jpmom thanked Illhhi
  • 9 years ago

    The xback you posted is a nice choice as well.

    jpmom thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

    Love something like these as well.

  • 9 years ago

    Here's a swivel one. There's also a seagrass swivel on this site too

    http://www.grandinroad.com/isaac-swivel-bar-26-counter-stool/indoor-furniture/bar-stools/912976

  • 9 years ago

    Some funkier options

  • 9 years ago

    smm - you are good at finding things! I like both of those that you posted. I do think I need to go "less busy", so the Grandin Road ones fit that bill. I also like the Sanders counter stool that they show. Looks like the seagrass is only comes in Bar height.


    Lots more choices if I didn't want the swivel.

    The ones we are using now are just cheapie stools that I've had for years. But they swivel - so my family has gotten used to that. (our other bar stools didn't swivel; so this is something new)


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the funkier non simple stools because they are unexpected.

    Pottery Barn also has a swivel stool in seagrass if you like that look. I'm not sure seagrass works (might be too casual) maybe someone can photoshop it for you.

    jpmom thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

    Try the Amisco website. http://www.amisco.com/en/stools.aspx

    We have this brand and they are comfortable. They have all different styles. Some are swivel. I looked up prices for a few of them and they were less than $300 each.

    jpmom thanked Chris T
  • 9 years ago

    We were all in the kitchen tonight - me cooking, kids at counter, husband over on the couch, and realized that the swivel is a pretty nice thing to have. So I will limit my search for now, to swivel stools. It's kind of discouraging in a way, because so many of the swivel options look "English Pub".

  • 9 years ago

    Chris T - great website. Thank you! I'll need to look more closely at that one.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here is a counter stool from a website that Chris T suggested. It can be completely customized (which will be hard for me since it takes me so long to make decisions)

    Important thing is that it swivels:




    Here are the customization options:

    http://www.amisco.com/en/product/products/stools/radcliff_1677.aspx?page=618&pn=gi%3d42%26cat%3d50


  • 9 years ago

    That's cute! Make sure you measure and consider if low back is comfortable for your family. There's also a Weston style on that same site.


    jpmom thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

    I am also looking for counter stools and it's quite challenging. I LOVE the ones from Ballard but like you, I think I want a swivel.

    Frontgate has some good options. They are at the top of your price point though. Frontgate counter and bar stools


    Swivel stool

  • 9 years ago

    Oh that's a nice one Lauren!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH