Software
Houzz Logo Print
mhigueras

red bench

9 years ago
How does my red bench look un my living room?

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Cute. How comfortable is it to sit in? You might want to get some pillows. I love your eclectic feel.

  • 9 years ago

    I think it looks great and makes your home look/feel happy

  • 9 years ago

    Charming!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The art needs to relate to the furniture grouping below it, not the wall space on which it is located.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I see that you have positioned the bench directly across from sofa. The art is “off” somehow. It needs to be spread out more…not sure…what if you hung the three wall hung candlesticks over the bench; put the three paintings in its place (that side of the room could use more color); and moved the corner piece next to the front door right next to the bench…and make a vignette with the table and the floor candle.

    I do have an idea…how about painting the inside of the front door that red of the bench?


    Modern Home Office · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    leave art as is, center bench under art and move table over to other side

  • 9 years ago
    Is the bench to be used for actual seating and conversation across from the couch, or is it more for decor? It looks terribly uncomfortable...I like the thick pad suggested and would add some big pillows too if you want people to actually use it. Could you center it under the pictures by moving the end table to the right of the bench, and removing the floor candle?
  • 9 years ago
    Very cute! A friendly house! Your art is off, though. Maybe hang just two of the three. The placement is top heavy; too wide. :) but nice job otherwise!
  • 9 years ago

    I remember your post from month's ago.

    Do you have any additional artwork to put on the bench wall?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think it looks perfect as is...maybe a cushion for comfort. The paintings offset from the bench provoke thought. I like that!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Love the red bench, but the room needs a bit of re-arranging, IMO. There is a traffic path between the bench and sofa that interrupts conversation. If no one ever sits on the red bench, then flip it with the stereo at the back of the room. The three pieces of art should have one frame's width between them and hang as a visual unit with furniture (bench or something else.) You do need a larger rug. I like them to slip under the front 1/3 of the sofa and extend a foot or more beyond the ends.

  • 9 years ago

    decoenthusiaste, of course there is traffic through this room. That door is the front door, but this room is not Grand Central Station, and conversation is not likely to be drowned out by someone answering that door.

  • 9 years ago

    More likely interrupted by someone coming through between the seating pieces. They're not within an intimate footprint for good conversation; more like shouting distance, IMO. Still love the bench though, just not crazy about the arrangement.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think it's really pretty. I also like the way the art isn't directly centered over the bench...

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Such a fun room. Move the red bench slightly to the left towards the table and eliminate the tall candle holder between the table and bench. tighten up the colorful art grouping spacing and center it over the bench. You might consider swapping the three paintings with the single painting over the sofa. I would also consider painting walls a deeper color to harmonize the eclectic mix of furnishings. A deep mushroom or gold walls would be a great back drop. since you have plaster frames around all the arches it makes for easy wall color transitions from space to space. Try moving the wall candles over the media console to over the table next to the wood bench. A large mirror or painting would balance the wall with the media console. Eventually look for a larger area rug. And yes, I love the idea of painting the front door the same shade of red as the bench.

  • 9 years ago
    Hi,thanks for your comments, I painted the bench myself. I had it under the paintings before but it looked awkward because it is not in front of the sofa . Here is a picture
  • 9 years ago
    Love your bench! Tell me more about that neat rug under the coffee table pl?
  • 9 years ago
    Love it. It looks like this is an exterior door? If so, move the bench to middle of wall, tighten up the 3 pics above it & move the end table to the other side so its close to the bench and functional. I doubt anyone will use it as seating for any length of time?
  • 9 years ago
    It's a little hard to tell, as the red looks different in each picture.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello mhigueras,

    What a beautiful room ! This red color brings energy to the room.

    However, we would add some big pillows to make it more comfortable.

    Best of luck,

    Atelier Armbruster

    http://atelierarmbruster.com/

  • 9 years ago
    Barbara Kiley, hi I bought the rug at world market, thanks
  • 9 years ago
    Where did you get your great bench?
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Barbara Kiely, I bought that bench in a garage sale, and I painted it myself, thanks
  • 9 years ago
    hi, I add one more pillow on the bench
  • 9 years ago

    I am disappointed to see you have made none of the changes recommended, some of which were recommended by multiple commenters. You certainly could have centered the three paintings over the bench. You could have removed the tall candle stand and slid the bench over half a foot to make it easier to recenter the art. If having the bench across from the sofa is important you could move the sofa and the end table toward the front of the living room.

    As to finding a seat for this bench, I am still seeing cushions for outdoor furniture in off-price home furnishing stores such as (in my area) At Home. Even if you don't have this type of store in your area, summer merchandise is beginning to show up in most department stores. Just measure the seat to make sure you buy the best fitting cushion.

  • 8 years ago
    I rearranged the art, does it look better now ?
  • 8 years ago
    I changed the artwork over the bench and I moved some things around