Software
Houzz Logo Print
ne14snow

Sterile White Kitchen - Need to add something!!

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
We are buying a house with a white white white kitchen.... not crazy about how sterile it looks. How can I class it up and add some color? Probably will eventually redo everything - need some temporary fixes.

Comments (116)

  • 13 years ago
    Your ideaboks reminded me of the many painted floors I've seen on HOUZZ. Some are putting down cheap laminate and then painting it for "the look." That might be a fix for now. If the countertops are laminate you might check into "Instant Granite." Apparently it is a good solution while you live with it and decide the details.
    Spinnaker Development · More Info
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info
    September · More Info
    Classic Hyannisport Residence Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Ceilings are at least 15-20 feet
  • 13 years ago
    But above the bar the ceiling seems to be lower than that. It slopes upwards doesn't it?

    Dramatic vaulted ceiling in Kitchen · More Info

    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    Kitchen · More Info

    Green Machine · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Yes the ceiling is a normal height above the dining area then is at its highest above the left side of the kitchen
  • 13 years ago
    So, if you like pendants... it will definitely not look weird.
  • 13 years ago
    I just remembered an all white kitchen that was re-done with just wall paint and backsplash change. Check out this before&after: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/a-dramatic-kitchen-makeover-with-paint-dsvw-vd~404551
  • 13 years ago
    Would u consider changing the cabinet doors of 2 of those cabinets, one on top of the microwave n the other on top of the fridge, I would install doors with glass, that gives u the option of adding any color u want inside those cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    @onthefence - wow, the paint does make it. I also just found a pic I LOVE and paint is defiantly something I need to look at.
    @dramitr - I was considering doing a glass insert on the tall cabinets on both sides of the microwave BUT I think I like your idea better!! Thanks
    THANK YOU for everyones comments.... It has done wonders for sorting out my design delemas! I think this is the final product I am looking for. If I could only figure out the paint color!!
    The Great Spaces! Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Im thinking about adding a taller molding and maybe moving the microwave and adding a hood and a cabinet above to add some height as per the above pic - that I love!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Gorgeous inspiration A U!

    I went down the question list a bit in your inspiration pic above and the designer answered the paint question. Great Spaces said "Sherwin Williams Tony Taupe"

    I do think I'd select and install a backsplash first though. Then I'd buy a sample pot of a couple paint colors and test them ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    BTW - I really like the idea of replacing the OTR microwave with a hood. You get some color there and best of all, you get a more functional vent system!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Simple quick fixes, Change hardware, paint island base a rich color like Benjamin Moore's Black Bean soup, adding a easy to install back-splash from ACP and accessories too. O h and don't forget about lighting over your island.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you'll regret taking out the microwave (where else will you put it). Looks like easiest fix for installing a glass front would be the corner cabinet, beef up upper cabinet molding, possibly lay some light rope across top behind molding or towards back of wall will give nice ambient effect, chg hardware, again paint center island, put down a great rug, accessorize for color. Most important, live with what you have for a few months and see how you function in the space - if it's open to other areas, changes in those areas might lead you into another direction. Subscribe to HGTV magazine and really get Better Homes & Garden magazine, which is the best overall magazine you can get. Enjoy your home, enjoy your garden and enjoy your life, best wishes to you from Boston.
  • 13 years ago
    The cheapest would be to paint. If you plan to remove the cabinets why spend the money adding glass front, backsplash or tops.
  • 13 years ago
    Colorful small appliances, placemats.
    Change countertops to accent flooring.
    Go stainless for larger appliances...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think it looks good and I wouldn't change anything until you have lived in it for a year. I would say just change the counter top for now but if you might change the cabinets that would be a waste. Are the cabinets painted wood or thermofoil?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes some interesting more modern hardware that stands out a bit. A more exciting countertop would pick up some warmth of the floor. One idea perhaps down the road you may want to invest in having the cabinets professionally done where they can accentuate the grooves and make them pop a bit
  • 13 years ago
    warmer honey color on the walls would bring some warmth into the room. Perhaps as a temp fix put some greenery and or ewel colored accents on top of the cabinets
  • 13 years ago
    All you need to do is change the counter tops, the first picture is off Juperana Delicatus 3cm granite which is in mid range in pricing, 2nd is Amber Yellow 3cm Granite this affordable Low to mid range. Back splash could make it warmer.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've seen several suggestions to paint the cabinets. If they're not real wood, PLEASE don't paint them. You'll have a mess on your hands (and cabinets). If they are wood... I still wouldn't paint them :D but you could. Hardware could definitely go. If you're not up for spending $3000+ to throw away later, I'd hold off on counter tops. Have you considered under cabinet lighting? A warm LED system under the cabinets would break up the monotony and add some warmth to the cold white. There are plug-in units that don't require hardwiring, so you'll only pay for the fixtures. If you're a bit more adventurous, you could remove the backsplash and install a glass mosaic with some marble, stainless steel and textured glass. You could do all of that in a weekend and dramatically change the look of the kitchen for the time being.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You could add a glaze to the perimeter cabinets and paint the island a color. Replaced the backsplash with something more colorful. Add a larger crown molding with an add molding detail. Instead of the wood In the photo I attached, it could be painted the same color that you paint the island.
  • 13 years ago
    @Wyland Interior Design Center - That pretty much sums up what I have decided to do. Can I glaze the cabs myself of am I going to have to hire that out?
  • 13 years ago
    You are going to replace the kitchen any way so you don't want to invest in this.
    Add a quick, inexpensive accent colour, for this I chose blue as an example:

    buy blue ceramic markers at a craft store and some templates. Markers are $3.00 to $7.00 and permanent, washable.

    - Using a template or masking tape, add a pattern to a few tiles in the back splash. Use a simple stripe or shape so it is easy to reproduce.
    - mark a stripe on the ceramic door pulls
    - replace light switch and electric covers with clear plastic over a print out of blue and white image.
    - use a blue ceramic jar on the counter to hold wooden spoons etc
    - add some blue and white place mats etc
    - add matching ceramic magnets to the fridge door
    - put tasteful images on the wall in matching accent colour

    Don't over do the accent colour, it will stand out against all the white.
  • 13 years ago
    Add lights on top of the cabinets and a backs plash for pop! ( I can't get enough of glass tile! )
  • 13 years ago
    LOL at my excitement to type too fast. I meant "back S P L A S H"...(& update the cabinet hardware to compliment the back splash suggestion)...still LOL at myself
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can glaze them yourself. There are many kits that you can buy at your local craft store. I would recommend taking a door down to Sherwin William Paints. They can to a look at the door and will be able to let you know what would be compatible to use with the finish you have. They may have product that will works for you. Do you know what is on your door now?

    There are several glazing techniques that you can research on the internet, this will give you ideas on how to do it. It is best to try it out on the back of the door first, you can always paint over it if you don't like it. Basically, you paint the glaze over the door and wipe it off with a soft cloth want you don't want. Check your local paint and craft stores, they may have a classes on how to do it.

    Do be afraid to try it yourself, the best glazing jobs I have seen are not perfect. You will want it not to be thin and thick in some areas. Best to start light and add more to it to achieve the look you want.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I may only be seconding what others have said but I thought I'd throw in my two-cents as well. Firstly, I think it's a lovely kitchen but I do see that it is quite white. I personally LOVE white kitchens (I have one myself) but have noticed that many manufacturer's white is too stark or too yellow-creamy. Anyway here are my thoughts:

    1) If the cabinet boxes are in great shape consider replacing just the doors and drawer fronts. You could stick with white but perhaps a softer one and add some glass front doors to break up the solidness of the white line. There are a lot of glass-front options front seeded glass, clear, frosted to mullions so you can have either a contemporary or traditional look.

    2) Consider painting the backsplash. I believe they sell special tile paint and this might be the easiest quick fix to add some contrast to the white.

    3) More work but perhaps better would be to remove and retile backsplash. I think the gray/taupish glass tiles someone else recommended would be gorgeous! Anything to add contrast and tie in with warmth of floor. My husband retiled ours and although chiseling off old tile was tedious once he got into it it moved along quite quickly. You could do this in 2-3 weekends.

    3) If you paint or retile backsplash, pick up the color you've used in accessories such as a runner.

    4) I agree with others - resist the urge to clutter the space with accessories (esp. above the cabinets). A runner and perhaps some greenery in beautiful pots on the island would be enough.

    5) Change cabinet hardware and coordinate with updated lighting.

    Good luck! I actually think it's a lovely kitchen - a few tweaks and hopefully you'll be happy for a long time.
  • 13 years ago
    I and my friends love blog house of turquoise. One can really appreciate that color with white. That is the color I would use here.
  • 13 years ago
    If budget is a big issue, I think I'd change the countertops to a matte black or matte grey formica - there are some amazing new formicas that are so cheap. Because yours is a pretty basic layout and not very much running countertop you could have the formica countertops done at Home Depot or Lowes w/ one of hundreds of formicas and they have a pretty quick turn around time. Do two good sized pendants in Nickel or Oil Rubbed Bronze and new pulls/knobs to match. Add a couple stools and be done. You just have no contrast whatsoever and adding new countertops, pulls, pendants in something to give some punch and interest could all be done for around $1000 if you do it thru HD or Lowes. I helped a friend do the same thing on her house to buy her 5+ years until she could afford a real remodel and the difference was unbelievable. We did new countertops, pulls, pendants and painted the walls and the total was $1250. If you wanted to dress that outward facing part of your island so it didn't just look like the back of standard cabinet boxes - you could do just the outside perimeter with some simple breadboard and quarter-round trim painted in a different color (paint the brackets holding the countertop to match) - again to add some pop & interest. That would probably run you all of $300. It would look like a totally different kitchen and in the end, classic white kitchens are classic and offer tons of options. You will have done nothing that is hard to change down the road.

    Good Luck!
  • 13 years ago
    As many others suggest, a color backsplash seems the simplest way to add a jolt of color where the eye will see it and where it will break up the masses of white. For the top if the cabinets, get a couple of cases if sparkling water in colored glass bottles with small labels (eg, Perrier which has bright green glass and minimal non-distracting label; there are some cobalt blue bottles too although i cannot recall the brand) and line them up with equal distance bwtn the bottles along the top of the cabinets, set back an inch or so from the cabinet face . You'll still have to dust, but a quick weekly once over with a feather duster should suffice.
  • 13 years ago
    A few people have sparked my interest in the painted tile backsplash idea.... anyone have any examples?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    I just skimmed thru the May issue of Traditional Home that had 3 px of,white kitchens, skim thru 1 at the supermarket.
  • 13 years ago
    You can add color with a pretty indoor/outdoor rug - you can find them on overstock, wayfair, dash and albert... and some are surprisingly soft.
    If it were my room I'd add cup drawer pulls and knobs in stainless or chrome and fresh cut tulips or other colorful flowers. A bowl of oranges and apples will add color too! Check out Homegoods for fun decorative touches and pretty dish towels.
  • 13 years ago
    also- if it is not out of budget- getting stainless steel/chrome colored appliances will help break up the white
  • 13 years ago
    Black granite counter tops, change the upper cabinet doors for glass ones and keep the cabinets! Maybe an arrangement of pottery in one spot on the top for interest. keep it simple it is beautiful. I would take the upper part off the island so people sitting at it are more in the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    @Mary Smith - Ya I dont like the bar on the island either.... im thinking a total island redo is one of the first MAJOR things on my list!! And I think the cabinets are in great shape so changing out some will be my next choice.
  • 13 years ago
    love the house you bought.....it doesn't need much change in my opinion
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is a lovely kitchen and home and I agree with you about the white. It's easy, sell the appliances and replace with stainless steel appliances, replace the handles with something like pewter which is more contrast than a brushed nickel. The backsplash needs a lift too, so replace with something with a bit more colour. Apply a moulding to the sections on the back of the island. Eventually, replace the counters. Do not paint the cabinets. It rarely works for long. The paint products that are used by the cabinet makers are specialized and you can't replicate that quality from the paint store.
  • 13 years ago
    AU-
    I've read through all of the posts, but focused on your responses and initial post. You said you like transitional style and want temporary fixes until big reno fulfills major ($) desires. Transitional has a neutral pallet and clean lines. Everyone stop suggesting bright colors... Please.
    When I studied your first photo, my eye wanted a repeat of the wood (floor) up high. Consider this tableau above your cabinets. http://houzz.com/photos/527369No fake plants there. :-)
    Add dark wood, black or espresso colored bar stools ( I agree to get rid of the bar later)
    Then get over to HomeGoods or Target and buy dish cloths in a warm neutral that are also textured... Think waffle weave. Hang them visibly and where you use them. The texture will help with the sterility problem.
    Then live in there a month or two. (I'd never make it a year! Lol, that's just me)
    When it is time for the major reno, change to stainless appliances first and see how you feel about it.
    Then if you still want to darken the floors or contrast the countertops, go for it.
    Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Oops. My photo didn't post

    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/10481042
    NO fake plants here.
  • 13 years ago
    i really like the white cabinets ! i think you need to make ur kitchen alive, You may need to paint one side of the wall. also, PLANTS! REAL ONES.
  • 13 years ago
    @hockey5697 - Thank you for your well thought out advice. I like the tableau you posted.
  • 13 years ago
    A U, funny, I'm having the same "all white kitchen" problem in the house I just bought.
  • 13 years ago
    Those vases are from West Elm.
    Glad you liked the idea. Keep us posted on you decide to do.
  • 13 years ago
    @Paige.... well if we have similar styles - there is some really good advice here.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, great advice on this site! I'm in the same boat with not being able to paint the walls bc my walls flow into the breakfast area and great room :(
  • 13 years ago
    Nice soft color on walls like buttercup or spice? Maybe antique bronze knobes ..
  • 12 years ago
    You can always paint it or add a colorful backsplash.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with the comment about the Granit counter top been change and add a nice carera marble or cheap subway tile backsplash paint the walls put new knobs and u got a new kitchen for under 10g