Software
Houzz Logo Print
jcserver3

How good are you with colors? Take the test!

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

http://www.xrite.com/hue-test

After reading the interesting comments by Lori and Aprilneverends on the gray/greige thread. I googled and found this test. Thought y'all would like it! :) I scored a zero without too much effort so it might be too easy, but it was still challenging enough to be fun!

Comments (33)

  • 9 years ago

    Scored zero, too.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Can't take the test on a phone evidently. Looks interesting though.

  • 9 years ago

    Zero too.

  • 9 years ago

    I remember that one. I saw it couple years ago. I think I got zero too, from the second attempt, but it made my eyes hurt:)

    (well I repeated it..zero, but my eyes hurt even more. i see great when it's relatively far away..when it's too close it started being a challenge. reading labels, mending clothes..can't see what i'm doing at all.)

  • 9 years ago

    (btw I also made a mistake of showing it to my DH then..he scored a zero as well, and still calls the green "purple". lol

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Zero, too!

  • 9 years ago

    Looks like we're one talented bunch! ;) thanks for the warning about showing it to husbands, almost did that! Lol.

  • 9 years ago

    Zero too. And I don't plan to show it to DH.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    This one is a little different, not on a white background and has more colors. Evaluating color against a white background is brutal - I can't do it. This one is easier on super sensitive eyeballs.

    And, of course, I have to add that the illuminated, small number of colors your monitors are able to display means this is not the same as doing the test in real life. So, take it for what it's worth.

    http://xritephoto.com/cool-tools

    Tara thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 9 years ago

    Either it is easy or we are good. I too scored a zero

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's definitely 'cuz you guys are good with color. ;)

  • 9 years ago

    Lori the one you posted is definitely easier on the eyes! I got a zero on that one too.

  • 9 years ago

    This is what the results said: Your score: 0Gender: FemaleAge range: 20-29Best score for your gender and age range: -80Highest score for your gender and age range: 567471 I'm curious...how is it possible to score negative 80? Anyone know?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yeah, I'm glad @aprilneverends mentioned her eyes hurt. Placing color chips on a white background in real life doesn't work for me either. Not only does it cause you to misjudge the vividness of colors, it's sooo hard on your eyes. Give me a neutral-ish gray background and I can stare at color chips for hours!

  • 9 years ago

    actually now i recognize the second one-the darker background one-as the one i did a couple years ago

    ok my eyes hurt then and now lol. but truth is my vision got worse..significantly. so hard to say..whether now it's worse because of the white background, or me becoming older. maybe i'll repeat the one on the dark background..later))

  • 9 years ago

    Embarrassed to say I scored a 2. On the chart the only place my hue discrimination is poor is I the blue/green range. Our home is decorated mainly in blue/green. Hate to think what it look like to others!

  • 9 years ago

    I scored a two as well.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I scored a zero as well. I don't trust a test in which MOST of us made a perfect score and others were very close to perfect.

    Oddly, though, I don't think of myself as very talented in terms of color. In fact, I think it's my weak point in terms of decorating; of course, I mean I'm not good at coordinating colors - that doesn't mean I can't see them.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It is interesting that so many scored so well but at the same time it does kind of make sense. Having some degree of obsession and/or a natural ability with color is probably what brought us all together here on the forum to begin with. Birds of a feather and stuff like that. ;)

  • 9 years ago

    Zero, Think I got lucky.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    zero - but I know I'm pretty good at this (I'm a photographer, so I deal in color a lot) In college I did the whole test with physical pantone color chips and was able to put them all in the correct order as well.

  • 9 years ago

    got a zero on the second one too. I am amazed.

  • 9 years ago

    Darn auto rotate was off.

    0 here. I didn't stress it but I was thinking I was off on a couple. I guess not.

  • 9 years ago

    I scored 0.

  • 9 years ago

    Zero as well. I can tell if a colour is off but what I can't do is carry colour in my head. So if I'm going out to buy a house accessory or clothing I have to take the item that I'm trying to match with me.

  • 9 years ago

    Zero on my desktop computer, not so good on my cell phone. I knew I did better on the desktop but I was surprised (knowing my disdain for paint colors!) that I got a zero.

  • 9 years ago

    After careful deliberation I scored a 2 so I called my husband over to take the test. He scored a 0 and is feeling pretty smug right now.

    I seem to have some difficulty with the blue/green spectrum...I remember sharing an apartment with my sister in our 20s and she always insisted that her green rug was blue:)


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    what I can't do is carry colour in my head.

    @blfenton, no one can. It's how we're wired. Doesn't matter how good color acuity may be, the brain will create a short-hand version of the color you saw and that is what you will remember. This takes the original topic referenced, the gray/greige thread, a level deeper.

    The brain creates the short-hand version for color memory because our language for color is limited.

    Thus the reason for 11 basic color names. (the 1969 Berlin-Kaye Study)

    Thus the reason why color words like greige, taupe, beige, tan, khaki are not at all useful.

    Thus the reason why Albert Munsell was so hell-bent on creating a color system that described color by the three psychological dimensions, hue/value/chroma.

    More if interested: Albert Munsell introduced the color notation because he wanted the study of color to be as organized and clear-cut as the study of music. He was fascinated by the written musical note; one could read musical notes and "hear" the music play in their head without any audible notes being played. He believed the same could be achieved with color. And he was right. His discovery of the three psychophysical dimensions of color, hue, value and chroma provided the framework to "see" color without a physical color swatch the same way one can read musical notes and "hear" music.

    Tara thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 9 years ago

    My score was 2. I'm "color-deficient," so that score is actually pleasing!

  • 9 years ago

    Scored a zero also. I can see colors but I have a hard time making complementary color choices.

  • 9 years ago

    I ignored this thread until today because I figured whatever it was would be limited by a computer screen. I decided to try it -- got a zero, which might my sons and DH might not believe. I know they all three see blues and green differently than I do, but my oldest son says he has done these things and scored perfectly.

    I haven't tried the second one, but I am curious about the difference in the black and white backgrounds. I often use white as a background to compare IRL -- though the computer is tough. I don't think I've used black, though I usually look around for a constant. A clean white is often easier to find than a true black.

  • 9 years ago

    Hah! I scored 6!!! I'm blaming it on my monitor ...