Software
Houzz Logo Print
libby_weitnauer

Afraid of hazardous conditions

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello,

So, I'm already a nervous wreck, so please be gentle. My questions is in regards to asbestos exposure in my apartment.

Let me give you a brief timeline as that will become relevant to my question: I moved into an apartment in Brooklyn built in 1956 (thank God not on a lease) after Thanksgiving and was there until Dec 19 before I left town for a while on the holidays. I returned on January 20th. Pretty much the day I moved in, I took a good look at the ceiling, as I was sleeping on the floor for a few days, and noticed some very significant water damage that was causing plaster to sprinkle from the ceiling in a couple places, enough to accumulate some small piles. Basically, for a number of reasons, I have decided to find another apartment with a Feb 15 lease, so now that's about 6 weeks in total in the apartment. In the beginning, I was careless with the dust, but I have since started to make sure I don't touch it, or if I do I use a wet paper towel. Also, this isn't like dust that's covering all the surfaces in the room or anything, it pretty much stays where it falls.

Now, no one has TOLD me there is asbestos in that plaster/what ever material that is under the plaster and decaying, but considering the build date of the building and the fact that the building isn't equipped with any sprinklers OR FIRE ALARMS and it's not totally illegal, I can only assume. I have been using an air purifier w/ HEPA filter for a bit everyday, but still. Again, I'm moving! But I'm afraid the damage is already done/will be done in my lungs over the next couple weeks while I wait for my move. I'm pretty terrified, please advise! (Yes, I contacted several people to get it fixed, long story short, there was nothing I could do.) So, my questions are:

a) how much trouble am I in?

b) for the remainder of my time, would anyone recommend covering the damaged spots on the ceiling w/ plastic wrap and tape (if I can do it w/o disturbing anything) or is it just best to let it be.

c) once I move, do I need to decontaminate all my clothes/mattress/etc. or is that unnecessary?

Comments (3)

Sponsored