Software
Houzz Logo Print
heydebbie

Highest K value available for Halogen Bulbs GU10 4" Can Light?

9 years ago

The highest I am finding to buy is 3000K, however I do see references to higher numbers in discussions.

Tried the ranges of LED light - I'm not warming up to LED.... but the 3000K in Halogen is still so dim/yellow looking.

I'm looking for a crisp/clear light.

Appreciate any help!


Comments (16)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    We replaced all of our halogen bulbs with LEDs and you just need to get the right LED bulbs to give you that crisp light you want , I have never had an issue with the amount of light from halogen but your fixture will have a max out put so maybe you need a different fixture 50watt halogen pots are more than enough for a space as long as you put enough pots in to begin with

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer - I am grateful for your input!

    We do have the 50watt / 4" pots. There is plenty of light....I'm having trouble with the color of the light. The LEDs throw blue at 4100K and Pink/Orange at 3000K. LED light is so unnatural looking to me.

    The 4" fixtures came with a 2800K Halogen bulb. I was hoping a higher K value Halogen bulb may be the ticket for that clearer/crisper light quality. I have found the 3000K bulbs, but was curious if Halogen was available in a 3200-4000K range. I have read that is the range used in museums.

    Maybe I'm chasing unicorns here......




  • PRO
    9 years ago

    People's impressions will differ (I couldn't imagine a 3000K halogen bulb ever looking dim/yellow) , but I do prefer LED lighting over halogen - and, like Patricia Colwell, I use nothing else in my work these days.

    Question: Are these lights on a dimmer? Some dimmers cause a notable drop in brightness, even at the brightest setting. Try straight line voltage through a regular light switch and you might notice a difference.

  • 9 years ago

    Y'all have been so kind to answer....appreciate the pro tips!

    They are on a dimmer....so I'll have the electrician test out the non-dimmer option for comparison....Thank you for that suggestion.

    I get that LED is the future...I guess I'm just dragging my feet in the past ;)

    I'm going to go with a whiter white on the walls and cabs....so maybe I can capture this unicorn afterall....


  • 9 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Could definitely be the incorrect dimmers causing a shift in color. LED burns so much cooler than halogen, and is so much more energy efficient, that is worth talking with a local lighting designer as well as electrician in order to develop an LED plan that will work in your home. No more burning yourself when changing out bulbs either. No changing bulbs period.

    DM thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you go LED you have every color and temp to choose from. You are limited with halogen. It's a misconception that LEDs only come in bright white/blue. You can get them in anything.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Sophie - I'm learning so much!

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you StephE - I'm learning.....who knew it could be such a education!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes LED leans a bit brighter than Halogen, so if 3000K is still too yellow in Halogen, then try the same in LED. If that doesn't work 3500K is very neutral. Also, LEDs vary by brand, so if you don't like one in 3000 or 3500K, that doesn't mean another will not work in the same. I use 3000 & 3500K in my kitchen and 2700K in my bathroom and living areas.

    Phillips is very reliable and stable brand (but don't get Warm Glow-very Yellow). Also, you may have to switch out your dimmers to handle the low current of LED. Yes, they make dimmers specifically for LEDs-$30. This is very easy to do. I add LED Dimmers to all my rooms.

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Maestro-150-Watt-Single-Pole-3-Way-Multi-Location-Digital-CFL-LED-Dimmer-White-MACL-153MH-WH/203486488

    If the big box store doesn't have the mid range temp you are looking for, because they don't usually carry much inventory between 2700K and 4000-6000K, look for a local bulb store.

    DM thanked Steph
  • 9 years ago

    In my house, (Kitchen) I am hating the LED 4100K and 3000K with an obsession. 4100K looks like a prison office and 3000K looks pinky / orange here. Both are Elitco Lighting Co purchased from our local lighting specialty store. I have seen the Phillips brand at Home Depot.

    I will search for the 3500K LED , possibly in another brand, to give that a try.

    And also monkey around with the dimmers.....

    Thank you for your time!


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Lately, 3500K has been pretty hard to find sitting on the shelf of a big box store. HD used to sell 3500K in their EcoSmart brand, but they pulled them the last 6 months. Lowes too. And they stopped selling their clear see-thru bulbs as well. I really liked the color of the EcoSmart 3500K. I still have the old ones they sold. It's just not a popular selling temp I guess.

    I live in a big city, and they are only found at the local specialty bulb store and online.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=led+bulb+3500K

    LEDs are awesome once you find the right temp. I even switch out my OTR Microwave light to LEDs, but I had to get them from China.

    Another option would be the Smart LED bulbs that you can make any temp you want, but these bulbs are around $50. Last forever though.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for the link!

  • 9 years ago
    Try 3000k/3500k in LED locally fist before buying 3500 online. It was very trial and error for me as well.
  • 9 years ago

    Will do.