Software
Houzz Logo Print
maria8475

Kitchen colors

9 years ago
I'm trying to warm up the color palette in this kitchen. Any suggestions On what to paint the tan walls to make it warmer, yet still have some contrast?

Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Wall paint ain't gonna do it. You have WAY too much sterile cold white on white. You need a boatload of more natural materials in there to alleviate that. But, the biggest change would come by doing a warm wood on your ceiling. Or rip out that splash to do something with some life and color. Brass pulls and fixtures. Paint the island a real color.

    Or all of the above.

  • 9 years ago
    I agree. I don't know how you warm up all that white on white. Very pretty kitchen though. Perhaps a dash of color in your accessories. Try something other than white in the glass front cabinet. Enjoy the beauty that it is.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice... I do appreciate it.
    I will go shopping today and try to bring home some options and repost a picture.
    I was thinking of adding wood blinds to the large window to bring in some warmth, what do you think?
  • 9 years ago

    Wood blinds would pick up your wood floor and counter items. Or pick a fabric you love for Roman shades or a valance and pull a color from that for the wall.

  • 9 years ago

    before you head out to shop, don't just buy, say, bright red accessories... they will be the dreaded pops of color that will make the kitchen seem even whiter. go for earthier colors that will just warm things a bit.

  • 9 years ago
    Great, thanks for the input...
  • 9 years ago
    Agree, it's about getting some colorful accessories.
  • 9 years ago

    Can you post more pictures, to get a better feel of the kitchen and area?

  • 9 years ago
    Here you go..
  • 9 years ago
    Maria, it's a beautiful kitchen with a fabulous window. I wouldn't even mind washing dishes there!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, I really appreciate that.
  • 9 years ago
    Wow! I think it's beautiful.
  • 9 years ago
    I noticed your rug. I think picking a few colors from that, the soft aqua and the yellow, for accent colors could look amazing.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for your suggestions... I will keep that in mind when I go shopping... I'm leaning towards the muted warm tones, such as the dark brown wood accents I already have. I'm not too sure about the bright colors..
  • 9 years ago

    Your kitchen is gorgeous as is. I wouldn't put a blind on that beautiful window unless you need it for privacy. Get a couple of walnut accessories that you could use for decor and actual use such as cutting boards or a large bowl or tray for the island and call it a day. Dream kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    What a beautiful kitchen. I think the window looks lovely the way it is.

  • 9 years ago
    I totally agree with blackj24!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments, very reassuring... Haven't had much luck with shopping today... Will continue to search and update you.
  • 9 years ago
    Take your time. Inspiration comes when it feels like it. I got mine from San Pellegrino water bottles.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's a beautiful kitchen. What color are the walls?

    A fun way to explore color is to bring home different flowers each week, and see what you like best. Flowers and plants really warm up a space.

  • 9 years ago

    Whoa! It's a beautiful kitchen. I would leave it as is except:

    1) Can you change the light fixtures to something with a a warm, natural material? Maybe wood or metal?

    2) Wood barstools too.

    3) I'd change the rug to a vintage persian with lots of color and charm.

    Otherwise, your kitchen is drop dead gorgeous!!! Don't cover that window!

  • 9 years ago

    What a beautiful kitchen! I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe accessories that can be interchanged easily.

  • 9 years ago
    An all white kitchen, wood floors, marble counters, very classic. If you want to add more color though, how about fabric sleeves for the back of your bar stools. Look at Spoonflower.com for fabrics. You could even do a monogram for that elegant feel.
  • 9 years ago

    Your kitchen is fabulous! If you're seeking contrast, you could always switch out your drawer and door pulls to a color more like your island wood color (although this may be significantly more expensive than paint...). Alternatively, what color is most dominant, outside your window (which is a dream, may I add!)? You might think of using a tone of that color on the walls, as it then causes the viewer's eye to "continue" to the outside, and gives the impression of a link to your landscape. BTW, many of us would kill to have a kitchen such as yours! I agree that it would be a shame to cover that window, unless it's absolutely necessary. I can see from your choice of island lighting that you didn't want lighting that would interfere with the view, and I concur!

  • 9 years ago

    I think your kitchen is beautiful. I would consider a fabric shade for your window with a pattern and some colors that you love that you have in your other rooms.

  • 9 years ago
    Hey, gorgeous kitchen. Add color with accessories. Colorful flowers on the island in a solid colored pot. Pull in colors from other rooms of your house for continuity. Get some colorful canisters and put them on the kitchen counter. Stop playing it safe with white dish ware. Replace the white dishes in the corner shelving with colored and patterned ones. What are your favorite colors? Start there and have fun wth it. Your dishtowels and cloths add color, too.