Software
Houzz Logo Print
jkbeacom

Identify this bathtub type

9 years ago

We have a cast iron tub in our 90 year old home that fits flush to the wall on only two walls. The front of the tub and side are finished. It operated as part of a tub/shower combination. It is surrounded by a sort of J shaped shower curtain. A long bar down the front of the tub and the bar circles around a little to cover the side. I used to get either a custom made shower curtain or two shower curtains to go around the tub.


We are redoing the hall bath (due to a broken stack pipe and water damage) (in addition to our master bath). For space reasons, we might like to put the same type of tub in, but do they still make them? Alcove is wrong. It is not freestanding. It is not drop in. It simply runs flush with two walls rather than 3 (to differentiate it from an alcove).


Does anyone know what this type of tub was called and if anyone still manufacturers one?

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago

    It is a alcove tub formally. It is just configured for two sides. Take a look at the link from Wetstyle. Refer to page 2 for BC1405-R for an example. I am not sure who else makes this type of tub but hope this gets you started.

    Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If it is a 1920s corner tub this site often has decent ones from time to time but the drain side is luck of the draw....http://www.periodbath.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5147

  • 9 years ago

    No way to save the tub?

  • 9 years ago

    I wonder how you would integrate or add a tile flange to the older tub to prevent water damage on the shower wall?

  • 9 years ago

    I still have the older tub. My contractor took it out of the bathroom but we still have it. It is rusting a bit around the drain. My contractor perhaps someone might be able to do an "acid wash" to deal with that. It would probably also need to be glazed. I'd prefer to have a new one, but the ones I've seen (using the search terms homepro gave me :)) have been $2k or so.


    With the old bath, we had the entire wall above the tub tiled just as though it was a 3 sided alcove bath. The only difference is the outside side wall in front of the toilet was shower curtain and not wall.


    I've thought about getting a new alcove tub and having the contractor build a low tile wall on the back of it. Trouble is, I would like to have rounded, finished curve of the 2 sided bathtub. My space is tight and I'm worried about bruised knees on the edge of a 3 sided alcove that I do a work around for. Also, ideally, I'd like not to make the space tighter with even a low tile wall.

  • 9 years ago

    roarah, yes - i meant I was trying to plan a work around with a alcove bath, but what I am looking for does seem to now be called a corner tub. The one you linked to doesn't look bad. It seems to be about 23 inches high, though. I"m wondering if that's too tall when it is also used as a shower.

  • 9 years ago

    I will say my husband is European so we are use to climbing in and out of very deep shower/ tub combos and my last house had a claw foot tub shower so I think if it is going to be a combo might as well be a nice deep soaking tub to boot :).

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you! Yes, it is definitely a better price! It seems Signature Hardware has a few. I've found some gorgeous $10k ones (Waterworks Empire) - imagine that for my broom closet bathroom! But since the bathtub is mainly going to be covered by a shower curtain, and I don't think the Signature Hardware ones are that bad, I'm definitely going to discuss them with my contractor tomorrow.

  • 9 years ago

    My contractor perhaps someone might be able to do an "acid wash" to deal with that. It would probably also need to be glazed.

    Before you start monkeying around with that you should understand that there is no longer any way to get a cast iron tub properly reporcelained because of changes in the EPA rules. There is one company that will do steel, but they have a five-year wait at the moment.

    The reglazing will be a temporary thing. How long it will last is kind of a luck of the draw thing, but on the whole you don't want to mess with the surface more than you can help. I've seen so many great old bathrooms ruined by refinishing the tub.

    I would try all cleaning methods first. If all the normal ways fail, ROG is expensive, but worth a try when otherwise the tub would have to go. For the rust, try Bar Keeper's Friend if you haven't done so already. (Not the same as comet or bon ami)

    Roarah, your tub is amazing.

  • 9 years ago

    If you live in a vintage home, realize that people will pay a premium for a home with the vintage plumbing and tiles.

    Like Roarah's tub and shower. I would definitely pay to get a bathroom like hers. Love that tub!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Mud jobs are usually not used for wall tiles to my knowledge. I will let the tile guys speak to speak to that. In modern construction, so many things are different and I know tubs need integrated flanges to be used as showers as to direct the flow of water into the tub. I am linking a thread where Mongoct describes a tile flange. It looks like you can buy them after market but don't know how well they work.

    Just a note that I have seen quite a few complaints about Signature hardware components in recent history. Research the item before purchasing.

    Good luck!

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the warning. It appears the Signature Hardware tub is only right draining, and I need left. Ameritech has a tub called the BOW 6032 that might work. Thanks for the tip, too, about the tile flange.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Americh will have an integrated tub flange. Select the Specifications PDF and it lists the Tile Flange as an option.

  • 9 years ago

    Home pro, link isn't working

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Enduring,

    Wave!!!! My original link was not working for some reason so I went to the page of the tub and by selecting the PDF you will see that it can be ordered with an integrated tile flange.