Software
Houzz Logo Print
maria_harper

Empty wall space

9 years ago
Need help wanting to do this but so unsure. Black and white pics or color .. Wish it came easily for me

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago

    Choose something large that you love. It doesn't matter if it is colorful or black and white, what matters is that you love looking at it.

  • 9 years ago
    I think the black and white would look nice in your space. I like the look of one color scheme with a symmetrical arrangement. Are you using personal photos or art?
  • 9 years ago

    Such a nice, polished new space! You could get away with color photos, in frames similar to the ones in your first photo. It would counterbalance any coldness and bring life to the wall. :)

  • 9 years ago
    How about a great long mirror it will add depth
  • 9 years ago
    I suggest visiting art galleries to find original artwork that speaks to you.
  • 9 years ago
    I wanted to use personal photos of travels /family thought it would warm it up it use too look like this
  • 9 years ago
    I was thinking of travel and family pictures to warm it up. It use to look like this
  • 9 years ago
    Wow! What a transformation. I really like your inspiration picture. It's really a matter of taste question so you'll get a lot of varying opinions.
  • 9 years ago

    Using personal photos is a fantastic idea! Choose uniform black frames for all regardless of the size of the photo and hang them in a grid. You can't go wrong :)

    Either colour or black and white, assuming you like the colours in the photos lol. Personally I'd use b&w.

  • 9 years ago

    Normally I would always use black and white, but I think color would be awesome in this space! When you use consistent frames and sizes (you would use fewer and larger, but just an example):

  • 9 years ago
    I used the same inspiration picture to create the gallery wall in my kitchen, and I also struggled with deciding between black and white or color photos. I opted for color since my kitchen is very neutral -- it provides a nice connection to the nearby rooms with have more color. The other great thing is that changing out the photos is inexpensive (about $3 each at Costco) so you can always switch out if you get tired of one look!
  • 9 years ago

    ruthannwidner, that looks awesome!

  • 9 years ago
    Ruthannwinder that is beautiful! Just what I think I'm going to do. Can I get info in frame size and picture size?
    Thank you all for the advice
  • 9 years ago

    Please come back and post a picture when you're done! :)

  • 9 years ago
    I will post pictures when done! It will be awhile since we are working on trim right now
    Thank you all
  • 9 years ago
    One last idea if you want to stay neutral and add warmth. Sepia tones in black frames. This is what I plan on doing in my hallway.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the kind words about my gallery wall!
    Our frames are 18.5 x 24.5 with a mat opening of 12x 18. I replaced the cream color mats that came with the frames with brighter white ones -- probably wasn't necessary, but I liked the contrast of the bright white. The frame itself is a narrow matte black.
  • 9 years ago
    I would do a collage of family photos or kids drawings from school in different sized frames. Pick an odd number and hang them the same distance from each other not, evenly straight across, but randomly covering the wall. And yes black frames.