Software
Houzz Logo Print
budzw

Building a house with an unfinished attic for future expansion

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello

I am trying to get an idea about house layouts since we are planing to build a house. We will hire an architect to help us but I am searching online to get an idea about layouts that will match our needs and will eventually will allow us to expand the livable space.

I found a plan online which shows a 3 bed 2 bath house (2000 hsqft) with a bonus space (1180 sqft) that can be converted into an in-law suite.

Not a fan of the exterior but you get the idea about the roof and where the dormers are.

Of course we don't want an in-law suite but I was wondering if it makes sense to convert it into bedrooms and a play area later. ie build the house now without finishing the attic and then later complete it.

In general, does it make sense to use an attic as a future expansion of livable space? Possibly for kids? What are the pros and cons if any?

We live in Northern Louisiana where summers can get really hot. Will it cost a fortune to cool an attic space this size?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (7)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Brickwood Builders, Inc. for your advice!. I will discuss the ceiling/flooring with our architect if we decide to go with this kind of a layout. I have read attics can cost a lot to cool. We live in Northern Louisiana so I wonder if it will make sense economically too.

  • 9 years ago

    A word (or two!) of advice from a fellow Southerner: Do NOT put HVAC components, including the ductwork, in an un-conditioned space (attic, garage, etc.). ;)

    budsw thanked Sammy
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    When you "finish" the attic space you will need a separate HVAC system for it. It makes sense to plan your electrical panel and have the attic wired now. No outlets etc. put in...just the wiring runs. Your architect will explain further.

    Sammy is SO correct about placement of components.

    budsw thanked chiflipper
  • 9 years ago

    There is never a cheaper time to finish space than during construction. It always makes more sense to design and build as much space as you will actually need. "Someday'' rarely comes to finish out a secondary space. And it never comes if you stretch yourself to the limit just getting it built. Remember that building new costs a premium over buying exiting. You'll pay extra for that new car smell. It might be better to just buy the bigger used home from the beginning. You have to look at the bigger picture.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions!

    Sammy Thanks! will keep that in mind. I think with this weather things will get even hotter this year :/

    chiflipper will keep your advice in mind. I am sure our architect will bring this up too.

    Sophie Wheeler I appreciate your wise advice. Yes we can buy a bigger older ( built in year 2000 or less) home in this city for the same price we are planing to spend on the new construction. But they won't have the layout we like, the location we like and will cost more in maintenance and repairs. Anything newer costs over the budget we have set and have even less sqft. 1800 or 1700). I agree new constructions costs extra upfront over resells but should one just buy a house for the sake of getting a bigger space? Also, what about the extra maintenance costs which comes with the age of the house? We thought in the long run, all of that will add up to making the older home more expensive. 2000 sqft or there about is perfectly adequate for our current needs. I was just thinking an attic maybe an added advantage if we do decide we need more space in 5-6 years. But if we don't finish it up by then, we'll just sell and move on :)

  • 6 years ago

    Hi BUDSW, I am looking to do something similar to what you were planning 3 years ago and I'm curious if you were able to build as planned and how it turned out. I would love to pick your brain on your successes and challenges.