amydyoung48

Has anyone had any experience with the Pottery Barn Performance fabric

Amy
I am considering a slipcovered couch in the light grey basketweave performance fabric, as I've heard they wash better than the sunbrella fabrics. I need something that washes well!
I am open to other brands/ suggestions!

• Sandra Henderson

We purchased two Chesterfield sofas in the grey performance basket weave and after only 6 months they are piling. I wouldn’t recommend.

• Kayla Linder

Mine piled in 1 week. I called and it took awhile but we got it replaced in microsuede. Much better!!!

Pottery Barn Rugs....quality?

Sorry, I forgot- I also have two sisal rugs from Pottery barn, and the fabric border has faded a lot.

Pottery barn fabric

if you don't find anyone, you might wish to get a few samples and give them to the kids and the dog for a few days.

Need sofa advice! Ethan Allen or Pottery Barn?

I purchased a leather couch, swivel chair and loveseat, a coffee table and a reclaimed wood bedroom set from Pottery barn in June of 2018. 1st - Do NOT buy their Leather furniture!!! The seems of the cushions don't match up with the foam cushion inside, so the lines of the edges are all wonky. I didn't think this mattered to me... until I noticed it. The leather leaves imprints!! Generally, after sitting on furniture... the indentation of where your behind was will quickly spring back. NOT WITH THIS stuff! There are butt imprints on the cushions where we all sit! It's just WEIRD! The coffee table top has pain rubbing off the edges. The top is painted to look like a distressed metal or something like that... but the edges are all wearing and it's white underneath. We are in our 50's .... we don't have little kids that are climbing all over it or rubbing against it. The furniture is less than a year old!!!! With all of that said... The reclaimed wood bedroom set (I think it's called the Bowry).... it absolutely fabulous and worth every cent.

Pottery Barn Sofa Fabric HELP

We have had our sofa for just over a month and have already had a “furniture medic” out once to do some repairs. But now we are noticing a problem with our $4k sofa just looking sloppy. The picture attached is taken first thing in the morning after it hasn’t been sat on since the night before. Performance brushed basketweave in oatmeal. Love the sofa, not the fabric. Waiting on a callback to let us pick a new fabric. Need help with what to choose! Wondering if it’s the fabric or the down blend filling????
  • Jamie Ward

I just received my Pottery Barn Carlisle Sofa with bench cushion 91”. The saleswoman persuaded me away from Performance linen because it wrinkles, so I went with the Sunbrella Performance Slub Tweed in white. I need fabric easy to clean because I have 4 cats, but mostly for spills and such since I always eat sitting on the sofa. It’s like sitting on an awning or sailcloth. I chose the polyester fill. I’m in the fence about this sofa. It’s very firm and the fabric is quite stiff. Has anyone chosen this fabric? Will it soften with time and wear? I’m almost sorry I was persuaded away from the Performance linen.

• nikkisharif

I don’t have Performance Slub Tweed, but according to the reviews, the tweeds don’t hold up very well. My 2+ year old townsend chaise sectional is washed linen/cotton & I still have no issues with It. I absolutely love this fabric! Before I purchased my sofa, I asked for several fabric swatches & forgot they were in my tote bag. When I finally took them out, the washed linen/cotton was the only one that hadn't frayed or pilled so I went with that. so glad I did because these reviews are a nightmare. I hate that so many people are having issues.

• Jamie Ward

when I picked this fabric I was mostly concerned about the cat’s clawing on it and having pulls in the fabric. I took a swatch home and scraped the tip of a knife and a fork along it, and the fabric held up welL I pretty aggressive too. Although they’re not cat claws it was the best test I could do. ive only had the sofa for a day and it’s not plush or cushy. Maybe it’s the polyester cushions plus the newness? As long as I don’t get fabric pulls and stains that ate not difficult to remove, I should be happy and give it some time to wear in.

• nikkisharif

The poly fill cushions are supposed to be slightly firm, but they do soften up nicely. I fluff and mash the cushions once a week & they feel great.

• Jamie Ward

Great idea! lol

• Radi M

Jamie Cat, do you like the Sunbrella in as? How is it holding up? Thanks!

• Jamie Ward

I’ve only had it for a few days so it’s just start to settle, but I haven’t been sitting in it. Surprisingly, neither have any of my cats!

• Lisa Merson_Moses

I JUST ordered (45minutes ago in store) the PB Ultra performance sofa in Sunbrella® Performance Slub Tweed White. I just saw this thread and now I'm VERY worried as this is a non-cancellable special order. Any experience with this fabric?

• Kayla Linder

I think people have talked about how the Sunbrella pills.

• Jamie Ward

Lisa, I have had my white sofa for about a month. Last week, I had sunscreen that had had a color to it. Yep, I forgot I had it on and sat on the sofa. I tried not to panic. I wet a white cloth with hand soap and the color came off rather easily. It was on the front of the sofa that the cushion sits on. I had a mess of sunscreen on my bench cushion and it needed a little more elbow grease. I hot a bowl of water and had OxyClean powder. I had to wet the cushion significantly and rub and blot the area but it came off!!! I covered with a towel and it was dry by the morning.

You do need to be careful how hard you rub a stain as with any fabric it could become fuzzy. I love my sofa. I have the 90” bench cushion and have been sleeping on it for several nights. i just moved into my new place, and since I’ve been sleeping on it, I have covered it with a white sheet. Oddly but thankfully my cats haven’t used it as a scratching post. The bottom cushion was firm at first, I got the polyester cushion-no down-and it’s beginning to soften up. I love it!

• Jamie Ward

PS...My stain was HUGE. It was brownish and all over the seat cushion. My advice on cleaning a stain: Don’t panic. Use lots of water to saturate the stain. Saturate a white cloth with OxClean dissolved in a bowel. Blot the area with the wet OxyClean cloth and rub the fabric along the grain of the fabric but do not rub to avoid damaging the fabric.

Hope this helps. :). Enjoy your sofa.

• Lisa Merson_Moses

SO HELPFUL! Thank you Jamie!

• Lisa Merson_Moses

PS- I always cover my white sofa where I sit as I use spray tanner but my husband can be a messy snacker and we have two dogs.

• Jamie Ward

I’ll be keeping a white sheet on the bottom cushion because I tend eat on the sofa and watch TV. Yes, I can be a slob too, especially with coffee. Everyone told me not to get white because you see stains and cat fur. I’ve had other sofas and you could still see the fur. I think the white Sunbrella will be easier to clean than the other colors because you can use bleach to clean a spot. I was told this fabric can be put in the washing machine on cold water but don’t put it in the dryer. I don’t foresee doing either.

• Lisa Merson_Moses

So kind of you to take the time to respond, Jamie! Thank you!

• Whinsoni Wong

I’m this close to ordering the Pearce square sectional in premium basketweave fabric-ivory! Is this a good idea?

• Kayla Linder

Horrible idea! I did this exact fabric but in pebble. I was calling my sales associate within a week because it was pilling. Ended up getting a new couch in every day suede.

• Whinsoni Wong

Yikes! I’m so glad I found this thread. My other option is the crypton ever linen-ivory. Think this is a better choice. I’m moving away from suede as that’s what I currently have.

• nikkisharif

I’m not sure about the Crypton Everyday Linen but I have Wash Linen/Cotton & it’s been amazing. My Townsend Sectional is a little over 2 years old & I have no issues.

• Whinsoni Wong

Ok. I think I’m going to go with the wash linen/cotton in ivory-Pearce sectional. Whew, I’m so happy I found this forum before submitting that order. Thanks a mil!

• Whinsoni Wong

Ok, I just left my local PB store and spent over an hour looking at fabric swatches. Can anyone shed light on the performance of the Performance Heathered Tweed? I’m planning on purchasing the Pearce sectional w/ bumper and the fabric choice is the major deciding factor. Help, please!

• Tiffany Taylor

I have performance everyday linen and I love it. No kids here though. However my dog did cut her paw and get blood on a cushion and I came out by just blotting with a wet towel.

• Jamie Ward

I have the PB Carlisle sofa in white sunbrella performance. While I love how well it cleans up and also holds up to cat scratching (which is why I chose this fabric), it’s not as soft to the touch as I would. It doesnt have a soft or plush hand - but I did buy it for its durability. I got orange sunscreen on the seat and it cleaned excellently with a soft white cloth and Oxyclean. Dirty hands and fingers wipe clean with a wet cloth. Be careful not to rub the fabric vigorously but rather blot it well with water almost saturating it and gently push away the dirt or stain and if necessar, you can rub gentLy with a towel. Since I opted for a white sofa, I knew that it needed to be easy to clean. I love it for that reason. I hope my answer helps.

• Jamie Ward

As for the performance tweed - you’ll be happy that the performance Sunbrella lives up to its name - but if you like looking a man’s sport jacket, then the tweed is perfect. For any sofa that is the centerpiece of the living area, performance is for me. I eat, drink, and sleep on my sofa.

• Jamie Ward

PB Carlisle 91” bench cushion sofa with Sunbrella fabric in white. I love it. Again, the fabric is not the softest hand but it is durable and cleans up so well.

• arlev

This is a great thread. Any feedback from those who recently purchase Performance Slub Tweed with respect to pilling?

• jlemail3

I am also wondering about the Sunbrella performance slub tweed as I have one on order in pebble and am getting nervous. I didn’t see all the reviews before I ordered. The PB manager said it was only the performance tweed that had issues and not the sunbrella slub tweed. Anyone have this material?

• Jamie Cat

I have had the sunbrella slub tweed ash for 6 months and it still looks like new. I love the tweed and the color, a light gray but I do have to say the fabric is rough. I have another couch in the micro suede and prefer the softness of that fabric. I also noticed stains come out of the micro suede a lot easier then the sunbrella that I paid extra for.

• jlemail3

Thank you Jamie Cat!! You made me feel a little better. Your couch looks beautiful! I think the pebble color looks very similar. I got a large sectional too. At the last min my daughter talked me into getting slipcovered instead of upholstery and the bench seat, so I’m worried also about it sagging out. I’ll try to post once I get it.

• Jamie Ward

I got the bench cushion in upholstered Carlisle 90”. I have the white Sunbrella and although it is a little rough, I find that it cleans up like new which is why I chose the Sunbrella vs another fabric. It cleans up well and handles kitty claws well, too. The bench cushion is sagging a little on the one side that I always sit, so I flip cushion occasionally. I think in time, it will gave a shabby chic look, which I like. All that said, I do wish I chose a slightly darker color because the white is a stark white and I wish I had a softer fabric, but my main concern was how it would hold up with my three cats. Hope this helps.

• jlemail3

Thanks Jamie. How long have you had yours and how long before the cushion started to sag? And no pilling?

• Jamie Ward

No pilling. The fabric is heavy duty - just like an patio umbrella. I got the polyester fill bench cushion and I’ve had it since July, so 2.5 months. See my photo above with the kitty on the white sofa.

• erika1964

Does anyone have a sofa with either „Sunbrella Performance Chenille“, „Performance Heathered Tweed“ or „Performance Brushed Basketweave“? I have been agonizing over which fabric to get, since this sofa will have to last a long time. I have a hubby who likes to snack and a dog who like to lick his paws on the sofa.

• Lacy Gregory

Hi @ericka1964 I have the performance heathered tweed in pebble on my sectional. We’ve only had since July 2019. It’s now November and we have petty significant pilling.

We are so disapointed as this was a big purchase for us.

• erika1964

Thank you Lacy! I was really close to ordering from Pottery Barn, but ended up decided to get a sofa from Joss and Main, at more than half the Price of Pottery Barn. It has a removable slipcover made of 60% cotton and 45% linen. It got excellent reviews, so I will see how it goes!

• Jamie Ward

Good luck with it. Please let us know how you like it.

• N M

Has anyone ordered Sunbrella® Performance Sahara Weave? What's your experience with this fabric?

• FRAN KUBICK

I ordered PB Comfort Sectional in Performance Tweed Ercu. It was gorgeous but started pilling immediately. It looked dirty and 10 years old after a month. It took A LOT of effort, and time, but PB finally admitted it was defective and refunded. (In the form of a store credit only). This was 2 years ago. I’m finally ready to reorder and appreciate the posts about fabric quality! I’d like to avoid another mistake. I think I’m leaning towards Linen/Cotton or Performance Velevet. I love Ecru or a similar color. What do you think? Thanks!!!

• Chelsea Morris

I just ordered the Pearce sectional in Performance slub tweed in white. Does anybody have any experience with this fabric??

• Jenny Naccarato

Any experience with Performance Herringbone?

• Sarah

I’m in the same boat Fran - what did you end up going with? I have the Performance Heathered Tweed in Pebble and within 3 months its pilling and looks like garbage. I got approval for replacement fabric and I just don’t want to make the wrong choice and end up with the same result. I’m considering the Performance Everyday Suede but would love to hear from others who have fabrics that are soft and wearing well.

• nblang

I replaced mine with Performance Everyday Linen with Crypton....(oatmeal)...it is fabulous! I got a Harper bed in it also. I don’t have any pilling and spills or spots come right up. My performance tweed fabric sofa began pilling within the first few weeks. Pottery Barn replaced my sofa in a new fabric. I was told that the suede was also a durable choice

• Sarah

Thanks nblang - I don’t want to make a bad choice again (although I didn’t know I was making a bad choice the first time around). Everyday Linen I’ll have to look into - I actually also have the Harper bed and our fabric is the Basketweave Slub in Oatmeal and it’s gorgeous I love it so much but since it’s not performance and a light color I didn’t want it for our sofa in case food stains occurred (I’ve had chocolate and blueberries and bright colored icing and other food get on our performance tweed and it comes right off with seltzer and a little rubbing which has been amazing).

• sbv1962

https://www.houzz.com/user/angeladiblasi

angleadeblasi: I can't find your referenced post about Revolution Hailey Linen fabric. I'm about to order a custom made sectional and two large club chairs and my decorator is recommending Hailey pattern in "Linen". It is a significant investment and I want to be sure I'm making a good choice. Pilling seems to be the biggest complaint about the Performance fabrics on different Houzz threads, but they are unclear on which pattern(s) pill. I am interested specifically in the Hailey pattern. Also considered Crypton fabrics but after reading a thread about blue jean dye transferring to the fabric, I am skittish about that one too.

• mindyminrn

Hi does anyone have experience with the performance boucle Fabric? I’m wanting to get the York sectional in the performance boucle pebble.

my alternatives are basketweave slub ash, or performance brushed basketweave charcoal...so if anyone has also had experience with these, I would be appreciative to hear about them also!!

• Sarah

Mindyminrn I have not but I was just in the store deciding on my replacement fabric for the Performance Heathered Tweed and I was between the Performance Boucle and Sunbrella Sahara Weave. The design specialist I was working with said the Boucle is a great fabric - I ended up going with the Sahara Weave in Mushroom because it had more dimension and the coloring was a perfect match for my room - but it was really close between that and the Boucle.

• angeladiblasi

sbv1962 no pulling at all with the Revolution fabric in Hailey Linen. it's tight and durable. No chemicals.