Software
Houzz Logo Print
joseedore2

Living room layout

9 years ago
Changing couch and chair and not sure of what to get or what layout to do in room. Piano can be removed from living room. Considering black couch in pic but in fabric in grey tones. Advice?

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    Is the piano going? Furniture needs to be in a grouping and floating, not pushed to each wall. Try a large, upholstered ottoman. Not leather if the couch is leather.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    There is a lot going on. I would first look at idea books/ photos on Houzz. Then I would decide on a color/theme. Right now nothing seems to match. There are different window treatments and it looks like you split one pair and put one panel on each window. There are different chairs/couches and they are all bulky along with a rounded coffee table. Also, heavy and dark wooden furniture in your dining but ivory chairs by the kitchen. You want all three areas to work together.

    The coffee table needs to go as well as your artwork on the walls. Not sure about your budget but right now you have red and browns with gray and white. (Even a leather black storage box on the side of one couch?)Try matching your window treatments. Choose a color that compliments the walls and light wooden floors It looks like your walls are gray. Gray usually has blue undertones.

    Decide on one color/theme for the entire area. The piano will have to go especially if adding a sectional. If you do get one, consider a sectional that will open up your space...

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would first do a scale drawing of your room, decide what pieces you want to keep in the room and then figure out if you can use a sectional as large as the one in the photo. That sectional can work, but a lot of furniture has to go. A coffee table should be within 18" of a person on a seat for it to be useful. Right now, no one can reach the coffee table, so it is worthless. The rug it is on is also way too small. So, first, do a layout, and cut out pieces of paper to scale that are the sizes of the pieces of furniture you want in the room. That will give you a good idea of what is going to fit and what isn't. You can also use some of the on line programs to do the same thing. Just takes some practice and the quicker method is 1/4" grid paper, pencil, ruler and scissors. See what you come up with. From experience, I can tell you right now. 90% of what is in the "living area" will have to go, if you get that size sectional.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, all the furniture will be out including the piano. I find the ace too cluttered and dark.
    We will need a new larger rug for sure.
    Not sure if we should get a coffee table or a large ottoman in the center.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You have to select the best set up for you and your family. I would suggest you start by decluttering your space first. I will help you visualize new things much better. The idea of a large ottoman might be a good one if folks want to stretch out, and they aren't used to using a coffee table now is my guess. This space you then become a "lounging" space. You probably could get a swivel chair for the side area so you could watch TV or swing to the sofa for conversation. But that is about it. Maybe a small round garden stool beside the chair. You can also get a nice tray for the ottoman so you could set a drink down safely and perhaps a book or electronic device. Just have to put felt pads on the tray so it wouldn't hurt the ottoman. If you do a leather sectional I would suggest a fabric ottoman to change up the textures. It would make it more interesting. You could do an animal print for example. Maybe black and white. Lot's of options. So, let us know how you do, and keep posting pictures. We will help you along the way.

  • 9 years ago

    I decided on a coffee table once I knew what kind of needs I had. It also depended on what color and fabric my couch is. Have you downloaded the Houzz app? It's a GREAT way to visualize without committing to anything. I go to the shop tab and click on the 'View In My Room'. It's amazing how many decisions I'll make with it. I search and try things out to see what it will look like. For example, I want to change my daughter's room since she is no longer a toddler. I search for bed frames, comforters, pillows, they have it all. I'm very broad with my searches too, its just to get a general idea. =) It really helps out.

  • 9 years ago
    I will take your advice and clear the room and figure out the layout that way. I'm starting from scratch. Everything needs to go. I find it too dark and busy.
    I want the space to feel light and peaceful. Don't know what colour palate to use with the chocolat brown cabinets.
    I really like the look of my master bdrm (looks like green in the pic but it's grey and white) very calming.
  • 9 years ago

    what a difference!

  • 9 years ago

    Tackle the living space with the same vengeance you must have used in the master. It is very nice. I'm afraid that a black sofa won't do anything to lighten the feeling of the room though.

  • 9 years ago
    Oh no.. This is the style of couch I'm looking at but it will be in med grey coloured fabric. (I have cats=no leather)
  • 9 years ago
    .
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would measure that console over by the dining table and see if it could be used behind the back of the sofa. That would free up some visual space in that area and give you a "welcome" spot for your entry. You can slide the sofa (or sectional, whatever you buy) up toward the TV and give room for the console perhaps a lamp and "drop" zone for coming in the front door. I would advise against a sectional for your space. I would also suggest measuring your space so you don't buy pieces that are too big and will make your room feel even more crowded. Let us know how you do. Bring us some options, so we can help you choose best of your choices. Don't get pushed into buying. Never a good idea. Have a great weekend shopping!

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Flo. Can you help with curtains. I'm getting rid of everything but I really don't know what to do. 3 windows and a patio door.
  • 9 years ago
    I like this couch and colour but in fabric
  • 9 years ago
    Like these curtains. Are they good choices. Don't know how to set them up because windows next to fireplace are so narrow
  • 9 years ago
    Most all the photos made it to the post, so here are the rest:
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Nice job. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Do you have another room for TV watching?