Software
Houzz Logo Print
mamaysek

Need guest bedroom advice

13 years ago
Our Opera singer (no really) has moved out leaving me with her diploma, some scores and Venetian masks ( not my favorite). Would like the room to reflect her interests yet be a guest room.
Walls are freshly painted Ben Moore Rich Cream, furniture is collection of marble topped pieces and rug is dark green. I have a piece of distressed pine that was the headboard. She returns from traveling in three weeks!

Comments (156)

  • 13 years ago
    Hmmm
  • 13 years ago
    This was the handmade shade cover for the pair of lamps, so 50's!
  • 13 years ago
    Ps not using it, don't worry!!
  • 13 years ago
    Do you like the fan with the mask? I do! You might try angling it a little off the left side of the frame at about 7 o'clock, though, rather than right at the bottom.
  • 13 years ago
    I keep seeing (in my mind) those Fenton glass lamps with white shades and pom poms top and bottom, LOL. I think my girlfriend had those back in the 60s in her bedroom!
  • 13 years ago
    Duvet arrived, and curtains the wrong color!? Now what
  • 13 years ago
    Upholster the head board in a rich black velvet. Easy to do get batting from Joann's. and fabric measure size they will tell you how much you need buy staple gun and just staple to back. Glam it up by adding strip of faux diamond stones all around edge. Bedding fluffy and cozy, maybe a stain purple or a blue silver color add lots of pillows. I love the mask, tack to wall above bed all of them just mix it up. Paint walls a soft gray. Add nite stand and lamp. Also glam crystals and shine.
  • 13 years ago
    Add silver satin full panels to each end of window. Ck Bed & Bath
  • 13 years ago
    Remove bookcase add small chair instead.
  • 13 years ago
    Add the opera print to wall with bookcase now. Add chair
  • 13 years ago
    Don't match panels on windows to bedding. Match to wall color
  • 13 years ago
    travisinteriors, it would be nice if you would read all of the comments from the beginning before you make your comments, then you would know what has already been said and done. For instance, mamaysek has already covered her headboard and is adding scrollwork above it. She placed the masks in frames and hung them above the dresser and bought a new lamp.
  • 13 years ago
    Ditto @ Nancy comments , I have also noticed that many are trying to enter as many comments as (unneeded) to keep their rankings up on here. Really now ! LOL
  • 13 years ago
    We have rankings???......
  • 13 years ago
    So lets go back a question "Can I use pair of Fenton (with new shades) on dresser? Too short?

    What do you mean kevinRD "sort clip the edge ..." When referring to short lamp placement near opera print?

    And I guess curtains go back?

    Hmmm rankings?
  • 13 years ago
    This is why I struggle, the opera singers room is a different look for me!
  • 13 years ago
    Has the opera singer left the building? I hope so.
  • 13 years ago
    You're doing a great job, I hope your talented daughter appreciates all you're doing for the room. What a lovely woman you seem to be!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just a FYI for all if you go to your discussion page it shows the top 100 posters for the day, week and month. Showing how many times you have posted for some it may be a popularity game. The more you post the higher you go on the top of the list. I just really hope to help people.
  • 13 years ago
    I was referring to the lamp just sitting to the corner of the picture slightly in front of it. Or as I said clip the front of... I think you could use both of the lamps on the dresser the height should be fine too. What have you decided to do about the colors matching ? The room is coming along nicely. Sorry about getting off the subject.
  • 13 years ago
    @kev... ya'll canNOT be serious about climbing the ranks. Cmon...you made that up.
  • 13 years ago
    I hope we all just want to help people. I was just a quiet observer for a long time before I jumped in, with both feet mind you. I see I'm near the top of the rankings but that doesn't mean I'm "glory hunting" . I love doing this and I'd say I'm a bit over enthusiastic and need my Internet taken away once in a while, but that's just because I have other things to do. I hope the people who have liked my advice don't feel the same way about rankings. Or the really nice people I interact with here all the time, some of whom are always top commenters. I've only seen caring, wonderful advice and really sweet politeness from most of them and from some, a really great sense of humor. Anyway, just wanted to explain myself and not be labelled. Thanks for your time and sorry to hijack your post for a moment mamaysek, keep up the wonderful (and fast) work on your operatic room. You're getting some great advice on this site!!
    mforr :)
  • 13 years ago
    mamaysek--I was just scrolling through all your comments, and I noticed in the photo of the venice masks there appeared to be a mask with all the colors of our headboard in it. When you get your scrollwork mounted, maybe you could hang that mask off the scrollwork?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Nancy I will do that. And think you for re reading the post, you are so kind! The scroll work should be here no later than Saturday, so I have to get the headboard raised before that! (Meaning my husband)

    What should I be doing about curtains? I have a neutral pair (wall color) for now, but just remembered I have roll up shades to hide. duh
  • 13 years ago
    The poster arrived, and its perfect. Brown/black color might be nice with other furniture. Or gold tone? Ikea?
  • 13 years ago
    Looks nice !
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Kevin......what frame?
  • 13 years ago
    I would go with brushed gold.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Nancy a gold frame will look good on the poster and fit the style in the room. There is gold on the Fenton lamps too.
  • 13 years ago
    I did not read all the comments so I'm not sure someone suggested this, but you asked what you could do with the other dresser. I thought you could take the marble dresser with the marble back splash and convert it into a bathroom sink it's perfect with the already included back splash. Then hang a mirror from a wire to float just in front and at the correct level for a vanity mirror. Maybe something oval so it will clear the marble sconces.
  • 13 years ago
    I see your looking at Victorian ladies chairs. The https adrs won't take me to just one chair. But what a lovely addition to the room. If you could get a better link or post a pic of the exact one and maybe tell us what your thinking.
  • 13 years ago
    At the estate sale I am running in the RAIN Saturday there are a pair of victorian parlor chairs. Would it be difficult to DYI the upholstery?
  • 13 years ago
    Like these but upholstery is mess.....
  • 13 years ago
    Those would be pretty difficult for someone with no experience, especially with all the tufting.
  • 13 years ago
    Not a easy job for a DIY, And it would cost $300 and up for 1 chair to have it done. Check out others Ebay, craiglist, and local shops in town.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the scroll work you guys! Does it need to touched up with gold, bronze spray paint? It is a rusty antiques finish.
  • 13 years ago
    Tacked the headboard scarf fringe to my curtains. The sections of. Fringe are too short for the panel but I think I can work around that.
  • 13 years ago
    Mamaysek, you might be able to find a nice fringe at Hobby Lobby or Michael's that would work and be the right length--great idea!
  • 13 years ago
    I would spray paint the scrollwork a burnished gold, not real shiny.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the wrought iron piece above the bed. I think going gold would be nice. As Nancy stated. I like the fringe on the curtains if you have enough. Looking better every post !
  • 13 years ago
    Hey Kevin! We think alike, don't we?
  • 13 years ago
    Two months later! Are my Houzz friends out there? I started a new job, and needless to say this room came to a screeching halt! The headboard was finally raised, sprayed the scroll work. Now what?
  • 13 years ago
    Picked up this cool plant stand and thought to paint it.
  • 13 years ago
    Good work, things r coming along! How about a set of pillows to layer with your current...I would go with the color of the bed skirt.
  • 13 years ago
    Things are looking better every time I see a new pic, the plant stand would look great with a big boston or ruffle real or Faux fern to carry out that victorian feel. Hobby Lobby has 1/2 price better silks on sale often. It would be nice to paint the book case and plant stand in the same color. Black is a classic look. It would look richer in the room I feel. The headboard turned out great.
  • 13 years ago
    I think we had discussed painting the bookshelf yellow to match the yellow bedside lamp.
    But I think I would like to paint the plant stand yellow and look for something to replace the bookshelves. A chair?
    In the mean time the walls seem bare and bland......
  • 13 years ago
    Well you could paint the walls a color or even a nice neutral taupe to warm it up. A med dark Taupe has a purple undertone and would look nice with the bedding. The walls contrast to much now in white I feel giving a bland look. I would go more golden in color than yellow for the plant stand. Since your colors you added are rich jewel tone. Then add pilows in the golden tone on the bed, so maybe buy pillows 1st then paint to color match,It would look better with a chair than the bookcase. It looks more like a youth piece to me so I agree with you. Even a nice less expensive armless chair would be cute. I know you like the antique look but that can get pricy as you know.
  • 13 years ago
    SorryKevin! So poor at responding these days ... Check out my questions about the opera singers rental house!

    Any way,can u give me a color range( and some names) on the taupe?
  • 13 years ago
    Color really needs to be chosen in the room, Benjamin Moore paints from dark to light. Taupe Fedora csp-260 , Indian River,Crisp Khaki 234 If you type in BM and the color it should come up using your web search. I think the yellow tone to the walls now is not right. I like darker color tones in a bedroom. It's a matter of taste. I would avoid tans to brown. The taupes have a purple to pink under tone. Another thought would be a dark gold giving a feeling of royalty with the purples and golds. The bedside lamp is more gold than yellow I feel. So a shade much deeper than that if you go gold. But I thought you were maybe painting the plant stand gold. So Taupe in a rich shade would most likely be best. I like all three taupes. On line I would recomend the 2 darker ones. But only you can decide in your lighting and taste. Your doing fine. I know we have all been busier out of the house with the summer weather. I know I don't want to be inside. lol