Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsdecorbarton

Need help with our outside entry. Please?

mrsdecorbarton
7 years ago

Help!? I'm at a loss on how to improve this look. Can someone impart their thoughts?

Comments (28)

• Ti Fy
    7 years ago

Put one or if possible two green plants or flower each side of the door. It will make a huge difference. Here´s some inspiration for you;

Coastal Living Entry 2 · More Info

Hollywood Regency, Montecito · More Info
    Hope this was helpful:-)!

• Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    Definitely put plants in front of the side window(s). Next, I'd remove the shutters, they are very unwelcoming and the plants will offer needed privacy. Get a mat that fits under the door, not the entire expanse, and make it a color that coordinates with your home. I'd remove the above door decor and small sconce and replace with other lighting.
    mrsdecorbarton thanked Anne Duke
  • carriebear28
    7 years ago

Is there a sidelight window on the other side of the door, or just the one side?

I think the exterior light is too small and the wrong style.....I would replace.

mrsdecorbarton thanked carriebear28
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, only one sidelight.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

I agree with plants flanking the door if there's room. Possibly one to the right of the garage door, too. Definitely a larger exterior light.

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have been considering adding shutters to the above window?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Where are you thinking of putting shutters?I agree take the shutters off the sidelight and add plants as mentioned and a larger light

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shutters on inside to match dining room as a functional measure to help with keeping our upstairs cooler in the summer.

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's very plain without the medallion.

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• chloebud
    7 years ago

I'm wondering if you'd miss the medallion as much once you add some of the items suggested. See what you think...if you like it, keep it.

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

good idea, thank you

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thoughts on this lamp?
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This lamp with clear glass.
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Or this
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

If you plan to keep the colours and finishes you have now, I like the first. It will look better with your address plaque and paint colours.

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    I'd get bigger, easier seen house numbers.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

You might also be able to brighten up the numbers with a little bit of brass polish on the numbers and frame around the edge. Just a touch.

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I would do a bronze light fixture very modern looking and get a new door in bronze with some architectural interest to it. Also consider awnings on your front windows. it is an investment but will look beautiful on your house and add considerable shade.

Custom Arched Copper and Iron Window / Door Awning · More Info

French Chateaux · More Info

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Found this LED light.
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @ Susan. We need an awning so bad!
  • partim
    7 years ago

I didn't realize that the plaque was your house number. Unless there is a more visible number elsewhere on your house, consider changing it so that the numbers are more easily read. If an emergency vehicle can't easily read your house number from the street, it could waste precious time. You could just paint over the numbers with a light color, or a brighter metallic.

Maybe a fabric awning would suit your needs. https://www.houzz.com/products/replacement-cover-only-8-classic-door-canopy-in-a-box-sand-prvw-vr~37255907

• PRO
    Chapala Iron
    7 years ago

I agree that the white frames on brick is not the easiest combination on the eyes, even simply repainting may be a better solution than you'd think. Plants to break up the space and impact of the walls because it doesn't look like much else would fit. Definitely another light or two. Small potted cypresses or something that can grow up the wall with a trellis would look nice against the bricks. Shutters would probably be the first thing to go. Further out, tile or something to cover up the concrete [foundation] is a relatively easy way to improve the scene. That walkway material with brick is practically a trope for being problematic when it comes to aesthetics - depending on budget that might be something to look into.

And of course, we are biased to say so, but if you've never considered getting some metalwork done... a partial guardrail right angled to pronounce the walkway, or a handrail set to highlight the step, trellis/potholder brackets, etc, might do wonders for you. Hope any of this helps!

Ornamental & Decorative Iron · More Info

Ornamental & Decorative Iron · More Info

Fence Work · More Info

• mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Were going to paint the door. Any ideas?
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all who have commented. It's helped me so much!
  • mrsdecorbarton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Another angle