Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_sheffer

Master shower

Jill Kiefer
7 years ago
What are thoughts on this for an accent tile in master shower. We are going with gray base and I was think a row of this by the base then white beveled subway tile then another row at the top of the shower. Then probably will have 2 cubbies in the shower and this will the background of it as well.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Powell Homes & Renovations
    7 years ago

What esle do you have going on in the room?

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7 years ago

I like the stone portion very much, not liking this shade of blue.

• PRO
    State Of The Art Installation, Inc
    7 years ago

Can we see a picture of the bathroom?

• Jill Kiefer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The bottom tile will be the floor and I am thinking white vanities with a quartz counter top to match what goes in the kitchen which will be white with some gray in it. besides that's not sure I figured I would make everything work off the shower.
  • Jill Kiefer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The bathroom is just studs right now with them starting to but up drywall. So not much of a picture to take. My husband thinks the blue is out in left field but but the bathroom seems like it will be very blah if no color.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 years ago
    No on any accent tile, dates the room
  • Jill Kiefer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So if no accents, do you do a dark gray shower base and just start on white subway tile or should I use a gray tile as well? it's only 10 x 6 master bathroom so I don't want it to seem tiny. The shower will have 2 tile walls and 2 glass walls.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

If the bottom tile is the floor, what is the top tile pictured to be used for?

• Jill Kiefer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Nothing....only picture I have of tile. We were debating between the two of them for the floor tile in all bathrooms
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

what if you ran a vertical strip, off center? doesn't look quite as dated as what you were proposing. maybe look at some different accent tiles?

I agree about the all gray. to me, i would need something to jazz it up a bit.

again, running these glass mosaics in a vertical strip, maybe w/the niche right in the middle, would look more modern

i have samples of this komorebi glass tile. it's absolutely gorgeous in person. comes in 11 colors. from tilebar.com

using a cement look type tile as an accent:

taking some carrara in an arabesque shape, with a pencil liner,

this blue macauba marble is gorgeous. comes in 2x4 and little squares. it's not cheap, but you would only need a few sheets for your accent

it's not your idea, it's the type of tile you've chosen.

think outside the box a bit.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

My two cents would be to use the tile on the top for the floor if you are using white subway for the shower walls. Some contrast but not as stark as using the darker (bottom) tile. I would not use the accents with the white subway tile. I would have no problem using that same upper tile on the walls instead of the subway. If you really want an accent, use a stripe down the wall. Keep it simple.

Not same colors, but general gist.

Light Bathroom · More Info

• Jill Kiefer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So if going darker floor and dark shower base, should I do I grayish tile in the shower? How would this be if the shower was all one color like this and the inset piece is either with or some type of accent piece? Is subway tile good in the shower or should it be bigger tile like in the picture?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

subway is fine in the shower. those niches are fine and would look nice w/an accent. some people don't like them, I do. it's your shower, do what you want!

look at pics of 'subway tile showers' or subways w/accent showers' etc, to get ideas

• PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    7 years ago

My thoughts are a little different on the tiles. I really like the tile with the blue in it as it adds a lot to the room and blue is the color of water (shower) and a soothing color of nature (spa like). There are plenty of colors that work with the blue for towels, rugs, painted accent wall, and decor- many different greens, coral, navy and some yellows. I say go with your first choice.

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    7 years ago

I'm with Creatively Yours - I think the blue has a nice splash of life to offset the safe natural grays. Only I would not place it at the ceiling, but base and a band through the niches.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

while I like the blue in the tile, I don't like that particular brand. I've seen it in person and the blue glass looks on the cheesy side. I would find something similar of better quality.