Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicolec__davis

Meltdown help... Those whom have been here Trying Please read

I would like to think all of those wonderful people that have been there for me through my undecided thoughts and unsolved questions that you guys tried to help me with I'm in a situation right now where both of the rooms are painted they're all the same color gray it is Silver Bullet gray by Behr now here is the major dilemma that is stopping any progress two children two bedrooms one really large one really small should my nine year old boy get the large room or should my three-year-old daughter get the large room because whoever gets the large room is going to have it as a playroom as well so both the kids can play in it the small bedroom in no way will fit anything but a bed and a dresser and my daughter whom is the three-year-old has lots and lots of things she loves to pull out and spread everywhere my son's room if he had the large room it would be gray.. tell me my son is 9 my daughter is 3 how do you guys feel about putting them both in the large bedroom and making it both of their rooms and the playroom or separating them and making it very confusing for me color wise mind you that my son who is 9 has no issues sleeping in the same room with his sister they've actually bonded since we've started the painting progress because they're sleeping in the same room so I would get rid of all those beds you guys have seen and get one badass bunk bed... I added a pic of small room in comments.. May be before the paint

Comments (63)

  • 9 years ago

    It will be easier to choose the right paint color for the dressers, after you buy the new bedding sets for the 2 rooms. If you paint the dressers first, it narrows your choice of bedding and you might find it hard to find something you like.

    You're making good progress!

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with choosing the bedding before choosing paint for the dresser. Here are some pink duvets from Overstock:


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    For heaven sake!!!!! Take him to Pottery Barn, or to Target........or sit a the computer and let him select his quilt or duvet cover! Then paint the dresser accordingly. As long as it doesn't GAG you, this is HIS room.

    Go online and pick your daughters bedding, Paint the dresser white as the bed. There will be plenty of color in her bedding, her toys and fun art on the walls. She will dance with joy, no matter your selection!

    I'm sorry, but you owe your children food, shelter, warmth, safety, education of all types moral, spiritual and otherwise, and yes of course love. You don't owe them this much hand wringing on something that will be outgrown in the time it takes to blink six times.. : ) Yes you can all go right ahead and scream. I'm used to it.

    Somewhere , right now, is a child with no food, no roof, no bed.......and maybe no mom either. Somewhere is a child in a hospital with a deadly disease or disability. .Count your kids, and ALL your blessings. The end. The dresser color, and bedding decisions will seem simple, I hope.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    They have everything they need and as of right now your even confused because This is my daughter's room btw

  • 9 years ago

    I would still get your son the bunkbed. That way he has an extra bed for a friend. Or get one with a futon on the bottom so he can use it for a couch to play video games. He is 9, his love for his sister will change daily, lol. I would set his room up as if he will never step foot into the other room.

  • 9 years ago

    Paint the dresser white and add cute knobs/pulls, or put removable wallpaper panels on the front of the drawers. The furniture should remain neutral and you add the color with the accessories. My Niece loved pink, pink was the only color that existed. Until the day she woke up and decided that pink was gross, and she hated everything that was pink, and wanted nothing pink.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Your son needs to pick his bedding before you do anything else. STOP until that happens. And give up on Prison Gray rooms. Kids need bright colors and visual stimulation, and independence to make their own selections.

    This is not a permanent decision. They can switch in 3-4 years if they want to. You're trying to make this out like a room color and choice is them selecting a college. It's simply not that vital or permanent. Or that hard.

    You have a Pro designation, for whatever field you are in. Surely you can make wish washy homeowners make up their minds. Your children are your customers. Their wants and desires are your brief, with you moderating and encouraging the best of their choices.

  • 9 years ago

    Good grief! They will want to change this a dozen times over the years. Paint the walls white so they can. Take a trip to an actual store with your son and let him pick what he wants for bedding and accessories. No kid of that age wants whatever adult look you're trying to force here. You're making g this much harder than it needs to be for you and the kids.

  • 9 years ago
    Kids' rooms. Let them choose the decor. You don't like their choices? Teach them to shut the doors.
  • 9 years ago
    i never understood parents who spend so much time and effort into designing and decorating their kids rooms. i can understand a child in high school maybe but younger....no.


    for my kids, i decorate their rooms with posters and their own art. i dont bother with expensive paint colors or fancy bedding, curtains. they pee, vomit and are too active to keep everything in pristine shape, let alone looking like a model home.

    i think trying to make a childs room all fancy is tacky IMO. children change their likes almost weekly. its better to just let them grow to an age when they WILL appreciate and understand their room being painted or getting formal curtains, furniture, bedding.
  • 9 years ago

    Why the negative comments?

    When my children were at home I tried to choose things for their rooms that suited them and me. That doesn't mean the rooms were decorated in an expensive or over the top way. Their furniture was used, as is much of Nicole's.

    I think Nicole is doing her best here. Let's give her practical advice, not discourage her.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thank you so much I am reaching out for advice because I am very overwhelmed and am trying to make my children happy , This is what they want I pretty much need to k kw placements and ideas on what I could do with the walls and the furniture I already own. Thank you for understanding partim!

  • 9 years ago

    Put your son in the small room, he has less stuff. Paint the wall behind where his bed is going to go blue. Then add orange as accessories.

  • 9 years ago

    Keep all the woodwork and moldings white, do not paint them any color. If down the road your kids tastes change, it will be a hundred times easier to paint the walls than re-doing all the trim. Get the walls done and get the kids in their rooms. You can paint the dressers later. One project at a time. Pick out the bedding and then paint the dressers, ect. In one of your posts I saw a silver bed, put that bed in your sons smaller room. It doesn't need to be painted and is totally appropriate for a boy and for his room size.

    It doesn't all have to be done at one time. You are stressing yourself out by having 12 projects going.

  • 9 years ago
    Why not look up some kids rooms for inspiration? I have a folder on Houzz and Pinterest for my kids rooms. Then for paint I'd recommend painting a sample board in the color and seeing it in the room. Personally, I am not a fan of too bright colors for rooms since I'd prefer to bring in color with accessories. I'm in the same boat as you picking paint before other things. Right now I'm likely doing Pink Ground by Farrow and Ball for my daughter's room since it goes with a rug that we will be using in there. I've had a lot of lighter blues go greenish in my lighting so again I'd do a sample board in your space.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @Nicole

    You said it. "Stressed out"... (and let's also notice you have about sixty gallons of paint "available to you" ?).......and "I just want them to be happy"

    Who needs to be happy here? Your kids are happy with your attention to fun, your wanting to BE with them! They aren't designers, they just love any certain color and couldn't care less where you put that particular color, especially if you make them a part of the decision. Within reason!!! They want some power relative to their ages, just not TOO much power.

    The rooms will change another three times at least before they move out. They are not out on the ledge /in melt down over this, they aren't stressed at all.,......you are. I would only ask why, especially when none of it is permanent or akin to bashing out walls ?: )

    I once killed myself making an adorable room for a divorced guy with two young girls. They loved sleepovers with friends here, so that was a large consideration. I got all done........tooooo, tooooo cute! Know where they slept with the friends? In THE WALK IN CLOSET WITH THEIR SLEEPING BAGS..........."it was a lot more fun"....."we had flash lights too!"

    I will add that all I remember from my own childhood rooms are the fresh scent of line dried/ironed sheets, and a hug/kiss/ bounce of the mattress and giggle with mom.

  • 9 years ago

    I have to agree with others here Nicole: your kids will be happier with a relaxed, happy mom than with a perfectly designed room and a mom who is stressed to the max. They learn their values from you, and you can teach them to be content and grateful with what they have been provided. Let them choose bedding if they want, or you choose it. Today. It's not rocket science.

    A nine year old will be needing space within the next couple of years. Your three year old will have a lot of toys for almost 10 more years, then if she is like lots of girls she will have a lot of clothes and make-up. Maybe not, but something tells me yes. Girl gets the bigger room, always.


  • 9 years ago

    One more thing: maybe it would help you to apply the same skillset you use for helping your clients get organized to your own thought process here. You be your own client. It seems like maybe you're intimidated because you feel like you're not creative. So don't view this as a creative exercise, but a practical one.

    Peace

  • 9 years ago

    I just want to encourage you. You are progressing and everything is going to be okay. It really is.

    I agree with everybody that little room goes to your son, because electronics won't take up as much room as toys and girls clothes.

    Give him the choice even of the bed, because he might like a bunk bed to have friends over or to have an upper place to retreat to or he might love a loft, where he can have a desk underneath the bed, which makes the room bigger.

    If it is a bunk bed, have sides on it, because my brothers and I all fell out of ours waking up and forgetting we were on the top bunk once or twice.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with Lindsey that you are putting yourself in a zero creativity category, which is making the process harder for you.

    When I was in college, I took a human service class and the teacher said that if something was so challenging that you couldn't succeed, you break it into doable action steps.

    You already took one action step coming here and there is already feedback on which room goes to which child.

    Having both your children look at bedding and seeing them respond happily is a good next action step.

    Once you have the bedding, I would look at photos of kids rooms and choose a few you like for inspiration.

    Keep the process progressing in a simple relaxing way.

    You got this!

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a bunk bed, which would grow with him. https://www.wayfair.com/Viv-Rae-Elya-Twin-Bunk-Bed-VVRO1400.html

  • 9 years ago

    I am giving you the "functional" bed concepts, because if you struggle with creativity, it will help your process to focus on function. A cool bed will go a long way to your sons happiness in his smaller room.

    Having a loft or bunk bed combined with either a desk, a futon or storage will help your son have the sense of a fully functional room.

  • 9 years ago

    Also, If you look at the sheets and pillows on the Bob's bed, it is one way to use color.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Boy in the smaller room with a cool loft bed. She will have doll houses, doll furniture, stuffed animals, pillows. He will need his video games and trucks.

    The loft bed doubles the space in the room and is fun for boys.

    DHP Studio Metal Twin Loft Bunk Bed Over Desk and Bookcase in Gray · More Info

    Modern Black Metal Twin Size Bunk Bed Loft With Desk and Ladder · More Info

    Mckenzie Hardwood Study Loft Bed, Natural Beech · More Info

    Riley Full Size All in One Loft Bed · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Not sure that Nicole is looking for suggestions for a new bed for her son's room. She said she is looking for suggestions for placement of furniture she already owns, which includes the queen bed for her son.

  • 9 years ago

    You are doing a good job on the dresser for your daughter, by the way. It is already cute and creative and fun. Pretty. That tells me that you DO have some creativity.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I'm going to go against the grain here. In our house, the eldest got the biggest room. Seniority gets biggest space. Go ahead and set up the play room for them both...knowing FULL WELL the boy will turn into a teenager and NEVER enter the play room ever again (that's only 4 years away).

    Teenage boys get big FAST! Big shoes, big beds, big book bags, big locker room sized sports equipment, etc. Big, big big! I grew up with rugby players. They get BIG very quickly. A single shoe took up half the closet!

    Little girls (especially at age 3) will stay little for a long time. And will use a PLAY room for a LONG time! A nine year old boy won't go near a playroom in 4 years. But in 4 years, a little girl will only be 7 years old = HUGE use of playroom.

    In our house, the eldest had a lot of responsibility because of age. That seniority also had perks. Like the biggest bedroom. You're boy won't go near a playroom in 4-5 years...but your daughter will use it for almost 10 more years! Give the boy the bigger room (not because he's a boy but because he's got seniority and a big growth spurt on the way).

    By the time she's done with a playroom, your boy will be looking at college. Then you can decide how the guest rooms will work out.

  • 9 years ago

    Cancork, the playroom will either be one half of the larger bedroom with the other half being sleeping space for a child, or the playroom will be the smaller bedroom with the two children sharing the larger room as sleeping space.

    That is why the recommendation of most is to give Sister the larger room, because she will be using a play space for longer and she has more years before she is a teen who needs privacy.

  • 9 years ago

    Partim, one of her suggestions was to get rid of the beds and get a bunk bed, which she said that her son wanted.

  • 9 years ago
    You might ask your son which room he would like to have and then help him decorate it. Decision making should be encouraged. If he doesn't care then there you have it.
    Being older should bring some important perks. This way, he won't resent a much younger child getting the best room. She's too little to care. She will love whatever you do. He may not care either, but at least he will feel important for having been asked. At nine some kids notice things like this. I raised six and it would have been an issue for my oldest child...a son.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It will somewhat depend on personality. My older brother was the biggest minimalist of all of us. I was the only girl and did end up with the bigger room, and felt bad about it, but neither of my brothers complained even once and I really did have ten times more stuff than they did with a hope chest and stuffed animals and bean bag chairs and clothing and shoes and jewelry and dolls and toys and diaries.

    My brothers had video games even back then. I had way more friends over and had sleepovers. They played sports outside and the shed was full of their stuff.

    They had tree forts, which is the outdoor version of bunk beds, and go-carts and when they were teenagers, they bought old cars to fix up and I still was having friends sleep over and reading books and listening to music and going to movies.

    My brothers still are so simple - both of them and they still are minimalistic - and both still have more electronics than I do. I don't even watch television and they have serious entertainment centers. Man caves and fire pits and outdoor grills, neither of which I have never once cooked on.

  • 9 years ago

    My brothers still play video games, by the way, and outdoor sports with their grandkids and nieces and nephews.

    I am afraid that having people disagree will make it harder for you to make your mind up.

    If your son is requesting the big room or seems jealous, that might change the equation. He has already communicated that he would love a bunk bed. The question is how mature is he about not getting things his way.

    My guess is that you will be spending time in the three year olds room playing with her and teaching her, so a mommy chair fitting into one of the rooms might be something to think about.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I know that Nicole started this thread on March 12 by asking who should get which room, but by yesterday's post March 21, I thought she had decided to put her daughter in the larger room, and was just asking for help with her existing furniture.

    Nicole, if you're still with us, the nice thing about leaving the walls neutral is that you can switch the furniture between rooms if you want to in the future, without repainting. Keep the color in things that can be moved from room to room - dressers, bedding, wall art.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    By the time all is decided, the "kids" will have kids of their own..............: )

  • 9 years ago

    Well Nicole actually started this process months ago. There have been many threads regarding this exact dilemma. I'm not impatient with Nicole, just aware that the decision might not be as solid as it seemed yesterday.

  • 9 years ago

    I see the ''Pro'' designation has been removed.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It just gets horribly painful. I began to fear a two year thread ala the infamous "Living in Limbo 2014 " that just goes on and on and on and on to a very REAL meltdown.

    Wanting to please is completely understandable. Wanting to love the result , same thing. But at SOME point, more and more suggestions for this type of personality often results in more angst and actual anger. At those making the attempt to help, and worse, self directed at the person who simply can not decide. It's almost as if the result were going to be held to judge and jury with a potential for the guillotine sentencing!.

    I wondered after five thousand posts on "Limbo", what was actually happening with the family as the "decider in chief" spent five thousand hours on Houzz, and another four thousand returning items already purchased, and yet another gazillion searching for more perfect solutions as the "kiddies were waiting to be put to bed".

    I still do wonder what happened when a decorator was finally chosen. .....

    "Community" is very very good for some folks, and the absolute worst for others. Just saying. : )

  • 9 years ago

    There are two posts now that are going on and on and on....niches, inherited furniture....anyway, I wish they would blow them up when they get to 1,000!

  • 9 years ago

    I think that Houzz can make you feel very insecure. There was a thread yesterday where someone asked about her island color. There was a poster who went on to tell her that her appliances were awful, she needed to declutter, the wall paint was bad, and on and on.
    Not everyone has thick skin, or huge budgets.
    I get "overwhelmed" at times and get indecisive, but luckily my Husband shuts that down pretty quick. Plus, there is no way he'd put up with a giant mess for long periods of time, or be happy about me buying 12 gallons of paint, lol.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's not Houzz that makes people feel insecure. You either are or you aren't in that department. If only because we're all confronted all day long, with prettier, fresher, thinner, younger, good, bad whatever . It's always been so, the internet just put it ALL on steroids.

    That the tech makes visuals of anything and everything instantly accessible, whether that be people , places, things, or wildlife and gardens..... you take what you will want and disregard all else. Any other solution is invitation to angst, and is completely relative to how much of it you normally possess : ) be that none.......or ANGSTUS MAXIMUS.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @Jan meltdown To get confused with overwelned mom with many things going on at one tine
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Love the last picture of the loft bed It would save a whole lot of time having a bed , dresser , and desk all in 1 What a dream. .I am just wanting my kids to be happy with there rooms , I do not want to mess up That's why I went ahead and choose the silver bullet for both rooms and a salmon / pink for her and orange/tangerine for him
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would love to be able to sell all the other beds and find a affordable loft bed that has everything my boy needs in 1 shot!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @jan yes they are happy thank you for your assumption of them not being happy but they live to Paint with me ! The shopping gets done while there in school But thank you for your words of wisdom!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    thank you For d.l I truly appreciate a positive influence when These people that I ask for opinion I am not picky I am open to anything I have no certain Taste or style All I need is a few ideas or pics and if I like it I will do it That's all I needed
  • 9 years ago

    Nicole I want to help, I want to keep an open mind, and yet here you are with *another* new account, this time as a pro in "tree services." Before it was coupon organization...

    You're walking a fine line here. If you are not a licensed, trained professional in some capacity relating to home design and/or improvement maybe it would be best to drop the pro designation all together.

    As a pro, you would presumably be looking for clients and the way you present yourself will influence their decision to hire you or not. Using talk to text is fine for those patient enough to power through to help a fellow home owner in need, but is a terrible impression on anyone looking to hire a professional. Showing a crippling indecision in making simple choices for your kids is not going to build clients' confidence in your ability to take charge of their project. Maybe just set the pro account aside for a bit and enjoy Houzz as a regular person. Just my two cents.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    yes my husband does landscaping and I was tired of seeing those old negative comments try to start fresh without all the confusion
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I understand that, but you're still You. Just be Nicole. Don't comment on these threads that still have the negative comments with your new pro account. Because now you're representing yourself as a pro when it is ostensibly your husband who is the pro. And the impression you give is not professional. That is the hard truth and I hope you can read in it the care with which I mean it.

  • 9 years ago

    You might be able to sell the other beds and get a loft. I feel the same way that having the desk and leaving the floor space to give him a whole room is a fabulous use of space. It is a good goal.