Software
Houzz Logo Print
forumuser1

Very large shower with 4' tub?

9 years ago

Hi, again, All!


Continuing our latest remodel ... 1997 house in the Pensacola, FL area - with 2250 SF.

Typical floor plan of the late 1990s ... four bedroom, three bath split with the master near the kitchen on one side of the house and the three bedrooms on the opposite side of the house.

Master bedroom is OK sized, and the master bathroom is quite large. Bath has a 30"x48" fiberglas/acrylic shower enclosure and a 5'x5' fiberglas drop in spa-type tub in a corner not he opposite side of the bathroom - big room, but not big enough to put a shower and tub next to one another.

We are considering swapping locations - building a huge shower where the tub is and replacing the shower enclosure with a 48" alcove tub (we only found one, the Honolulu model - by a company called Bootz - porcelain over steel so it is pretty low style -$200) ...there are some 4' drop in tubs, but they are (a) 2-5 times the price, and (b) would require the ends to fit flush to the framing with the cement board (for tile) and the tile to extend out over the ends of the tub. No issue building up the platform. The lowest cost example of one of these is: https://www.allmodern.com/Fine-Fixtures-Drop-In-or-Alcove-Bathtub-32-x-48-Soaking-Bathtub-FINF1003.html?source=hotdeals.

Obvious advantage to the drop in due to it's depth, but the other factors are of concern.

Other design options include simply turning the current shower area into a closet (vice the 4' tub) and building the large customer shower.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Are you big bathers? Have you ever bathed in a four ft tub? I chose a large jetted shower over a smaller shower and five ft free standing tub because none of the models that small held more than 15 inches of water and the short length was uncomfortable to us. We added storage instead of the tub and have no regrets but we do have a six ft tub with a water depth of 18 in our hall bath for a nice soak which I only do once or less a year. If I took more frequent soaks I would want a perfect tub and smaller shower in my master but as a couple who love a nice daily shower and only a yearly soak I preferred a large shower with multiple water heads and room for a bench and added storage to a small tub and small shower.

    my real estate market also does not mandate the need for a master with a tub. Walk in large spa showers are the desired feature in my area but it might be different regionally so talking to a real estate agent might be wise.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I read a survey last year that 51 percent want a master tub over a larger shower but another 49% want a large shower over a tub. So either way, tub or no tub you potentially will lose the same number of buyers so do what works best for you now. Do you want to clean a tub that you never use?

    Also My favorite feature in my new bath is my cushioned bench in the room and my shower bench. I use both every day and would not of had room for either had I added a never used tub. Worry about your wants and not a future resale issue. We never regain what we spend on bath remodels but when we think of what we want and prefer we gain value in our pleasure of a space that is perfect for us in the present.

  • 9 years ago

    I would not put a 4' Bootz tub in a master bathroom. It's not really a tub you can bathe in comfortably, because it's short, but also narrow and not very deep. The back is also not slanted, it is pretty straight up and down. The finish is not very durable.

    I put this tub in a basement bathroom as a future extra bathroom, and one to use while we remodeled upstairs. We use it more like a deep shower receptor. and it is big enough to soak large items in for laundry. It's fine for an extra in the basement. In a master bath, I think the absence of a tub would be better than a tub like this.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Kohler makes the Greek, which is also 48", or you could do a Japanese soaking tub.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Try out a Japanese soaker before purchase they are lovely looking and deep enough to offer a comfortable soak but I, closer to 40 than fifty, had a horrible time getting in and out and I am tall. Also hard to reach the bottom when cleaning...