Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lokai99

New member needs help identifying a cultivar

7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts in this forum for about nine months and I have decided to join in the hopes of making friends who also share my passion for these extraordinary plants! I have learned a great deal and I though it was the right time to say hello and make some contacts. It's so much fun to "talk flowers" with someone who also has shares your ...passion...addiction?

I have been very interested in diploids and I always keep my eyes open for papilio X seeds and bulbs. This brings me to my request for help identifying a bulb from RC that was not labeled correctly. I purchased a Rio Negro. She did not bloom the first year and when she finally bloomed, she gave me quite the surprise. I believe my Rio Negro is a Machala! I would greatly appreciate your help to correctly identify her. Thank you!

Comments (18)

• 7 years ago

My computer at work has been out for repairs for several weeks. I have made good use of the space and sunlight.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Welcome Lokai99!!

Yes, it does indeed appear that you have a lovely Machala to add to your hippie family!! I have one that was gifted to me a sweet bulb fairy and if it is as pretty as yours when it blooms I will be very happy!!

Maybe another time you can acquire a Rio Negro as they are very beautiful!! I have had 3 of them and am now down to one and I can't ever seem to get them to bloom again for me and they rot easily (for me at least). For me, they are difficult but I love them and you don't see them offered that much any more....

Donna

• 7 years ago

Thank you, Donna! I threw some Exotic Star and papilio pollen at her and I hope she might be happy with either partner. I am happy to have her as I acquired some bukasovii X Machala seeds seeds last year and I thought she might be useful in future crossings. I wrote to Edens Blooms because I know they offered Rio Negro in the past. I hope they might have some bulbs they could dig at some point. You are very lucky to have found Rio three times!!! There are many elusive ones on my dream list such as Rembrant van Rjin and Madame Butterfly. Machala was very happy last year. She did not bloom last year,but she produced 3 small bulblets. Machala would have eventually been on the list to get, so I am glad to get her now.

• 7 years ago

Last year Royal Colors offered Rembrandt van Rijn for the first time in many years and most of us here grabbed one or more! I don't expect to see that one again if ever!!

Actually, one time several years ago I got 2 Rio Negros as mislabels!! Those both bloomed and then died, I think I kept them too wet. Then I bought another from Hirts Gardens on EBay and that is the one that is still alive.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if both Exotic Star as well as papilio take on your Machala.

The Madame's flowers are stunning and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams why this one is no longer available!! Strangely enough I didn't have any success pollination her to produce seeds, the only thing that took two years in a row was a self! Her self seeds were large and vigorous. Her pollen is good though and I am grown a few seedlings given to me by friend that are doing well.

Donna

• 7 years ago

I will definitely keep my eyes open on EBay. I actually saw Rembrandt van Rijn offered on RC last year, but I had no experience ordering from outside of the US and it was already sold out by the time I discovered the RC site. Hopefully, I might find those two on EBay someday. interesting things pop up from time to time.

~Joey

• 7 years ago

Welcome lokai99!!

Always good to hear from another hippi lover!!

Your Machala is lovely and I'm sure will give you lots of beautiful crosses.

-J

lokai99 thanked jstropic (10a)
  • 7 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am so looking forward to learning from all the great people here!

• 7 years ago

Welcome lokai99 ! Finaly you got a chance growing Machala , it is quite unfindable in for us in EU ! And you will easily find another Rio Negro :-))

lokai99 thanked agapanthe64
  • 7 years ago

Welcome Joey!

This is an image of my ‘Machala.’

Donna: Your offset should look like mama when she flowers.

Best,

Blanca

• 7 years ago

Blanca,

Especially beautiful!! I can't wait!!!☺☺

• 7 years ago

Blanca,

That is quite stunning and it reminds me of Quito quite a bit. I wonder if they are siblings?

Fred

• 7 years ago

Hi Fred:

Excellent thinking, and a very interesting possibility.

Berbee Beheer B.V bred both of these lovely cultivars.

H. Quito was registered first on 1-18-2005 to the
    Spider Group.

H. Machala was registered on 12-31-2008 to the
    Butterfly Group.

Welcome to the Hippeastrum Identity Sleuths!

Cheers.

Blanca

• 7 years ago

Here's a picture of my Quito for comparison, tell me what you think.

• 7 years ago

Very pretty Fred, could be cousins for sure..I'm hoping one of mine will bloom this season as I'd like to try Fledermaus on her....

• 7 years ago

I grow both of these cultivars. They may very well be closely related in terms
    of genetic inheritance. The establishment
    of new cultivar classification groupings was, in my opinion, a positive
    move. I think that we can clearly see
    the reasons for ‘Quito’ being in the Spider Group and 'Machala' being in the
    Butterfly Group.

• 7 years ago

Blanca, your Machala is superb! Perhaps mine will show a bit more of those Butterfly characteristics next year.

• 7 years ago

I always had the same impression as you Fred, looking at these two cultivars, thank you Blanca for these details

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions