Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28510257

Urea as herbicide

9 years ago

I was reading up on foliar nutrient applications today and it seems it's real easy to burn the heck out of the grass with a small amount of urea when applied as a foliar spray. But I got to thinking, would urea make a good herbicide for situations where you're trying to kill everything, like when you're renovating? A lot of people are weary of glyphosate,a lot of people are weary of chemicals in general, so maybe this would be an alternative. Not to mention you'd have a nice Nitrogen rich seed bed when it's all dead. I wish I had thought of it earlier, I'm about to renovate a section of the yard but I already sprayed glyphosate. What do you think, would Urea make a good herbicide?

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago

    Interesting idea. One of the reasons some people are leery of chemicals is the potential for runoff. If you douse an area with urea, you will certainly have at least some nitrogen run off. I would be surprised if it killed all the weeds, there is sure to be something that would survive the onslaught.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you would have to use much if it's a foliar application. I suspect 10-12 ounces of urea per thousand along with a surfactant would burn the heck out of everything it touches. It might take less than that, testing would be needed to find the best rate. Potential for runoff would be minimal, we routinely apply 1 pound of N (32 oz of urea) per thousand monthly as fertilizer. I think at least 30% would be lost through volatilization as well.

    I have the other half of the back yard to kill, I'm doing one half at a time so the dog has somewhere to run and play etc. I will do some testing there.

  • 9 years ago

    One pound per month? The law here in Maryland is no more than .9 per application, .7 pounds of soluble nitrogen per application, per 1000 sqft. Then there are annual limits depending on types of grass and fertilizer. But it is max 4 pounds per year. How many months are you fertilizing? How do you know there isn't any run off?

  • 9 years ago

    Asked before apparently. Somewhat similar responses as here. Link below.


    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1675689/urea-as-herbicide

  • 9 years ago

    @Groundskeeper

    I think you're missing the forest because of the trees. The point was that we apply much larger quantities of soluble nitrogen without really worrying about leaching than what I'm proposing as a foliar.

    As far as how much nitrogen I'm applying, I plan on applying about 8 pounds per thousand this year, 3 this spring and 5 in the fall. Some controlled release, some water soluble. No limits here in NC as far as I know.

    @Pennstater2005

    Thanks. I'd like to step outside the realm of theory this time, give it a try and see what happens. I think there's no doubt the grass bladed will get badly burnt - and quickly - I just don't know if the plant will bounce back after a while.

  • 9 years ago

    Good point j4c11 regarding large quantities of soluble nitrogen being used. At least it's true for me. I did a fairly aggressive fall urea program for the first time. It's quite a bit of nitrogen plus the winterizer. I'd be interested in your experience using it as a foliar if you do though!

  • 5 years ago

    Read THE WORLD ACCORDING TO MONSANTO and you will never use glyphosate again . Unless you want the terminal NonHodgkins Lymohoma then use Urea to kill weeds . I made a saturated solution of Urea and killed Singapore Daisy permanently , while it soon recovers from glyphosate .

  • 4 years ago

    What dose of urea you used on 1 liter of water for burning the weed?