Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmcd1701

Another kitchen question

9 years ago
The tiles are up and just need grout, the shelves are being painted and I'm getting ready to finish painting the last little bit of the kitchen. The consensus when I was last here was to keep the soffit white. I am planning on painting the last piece of "wall" grey like the rest of the kitchen as only the cabinet wall is white. Just making sure that I am on the right track. TIA!

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago

    perhaps at least the facade of the soffit gray all the way across the top incl. above stove and refridge as there is a lot of white going on: cabinets, range, refridge, tile, bead board......

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Porter. I had the soffit above the cabinets grey and the consensus was it made them look "squat" so I painted it back white. I plan on putting a few coloured dishes on the shelves amongst mostly white dishes. I agree it's a little white, but there will also some wood cutting boards on display etc. So, was that a yes for painting that wall grey? I will re-evaluate the soffit above the cabinets once the kitchen is complete.
  • 9 years ago

    Hello, yes it was a vote for gray. I just feel there is too much white and it would warm it up. If it isn't super dark which it doesn't appear to be I don't believe it would change to the illusion of making it look small. Adding a lot of nick nacks will just take away from all you've done......it's only one opinion and I guess that's why we all post here for ourselves and others! Good luck and yes wait until it's all done and decide. Paint is easy!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have a few plates on my soffit - Three on each. If you do the soffit gray, you could just put a few plates that coordinate - either white like your cabinets or in an accent color.

    This is how I did mine - but it is a different style of kitchen. You might want a more contemporary or fun type of plate.

    You are doing a great job. I built shelves with a beadboard background for my basement kitchenette. Again, it is wood and not white, but I was inspired in part by the same picture you were.

  • 9 years ago

    My basement kitchenette shelves were made out of fir joist (stained "Special Walnut") - very inexpensive and without some of the worries of reclaimed wood - cost and critters:)

    It looks like I forgot to post the link to my kitchen - but I think you found it anyway.

  • 9 years ago
    Where did you get the fir joist from? And does it come in 12" widths?
  • 9 years ago

    I got them at Menards, but Lowe's has them too. I actually got the ones I used rummaging through the scrap wood section section and only spent a few dollars - but those can be cracked or warped. I spent some time going through the stacks and putting them on the floor to see if they were flat. Later, I realized later I could have bought a couple of long joist - It would have cost a bit more but saved time and reduced slivers in my hand.

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice-Common-2-in-x-12-in-x-8-ft-Actual-1-5-in-x-11-25-in-x-8-ft-Lumber/1000056483

    It is a good idea to use a pre-stain on fir before staining because it can stain unevenly and lighter stains turn it orange - why I went with walnut.

    I saw the thiner pieces of wood you bought for the kitchen in your other post. I used that size in my bathroom, though I used oak, and the thinner is fine too.

  • 9 years ago
    I am in BC and don't have a Menards. I think there is a Lowes pretty close, so I'll check it out.

    Yes, I decided to just paint the pine shelves white and look later for the trim piece if it looks like it's just too thin. The microwave shelf is also just 1" and quite honestly, I'm just running out of steam. I just got engaged 3 weeks ago :) and now there is no doubt that this place will be going on the market in the not too distant future, so I'd really like to finish projects so I can enjoy them instead of doing all this work just to sell!