0

Tomatoville membership?

hafamily5
April 3, 2017

I hope it is ok to ask this question here. I know there are a lot of folks here that are members at both forums, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me.

I tried joining Tomatoville about a month ago after reading about it here. I'm new at growing Tomatoes and thought it would be cool to join a tomato-centric forum. The problem is that my memebership hasn't been approved in that time. I've contacted the admin/webmater a couple of times and still haven't heard back. Does anyone know if Tomatoville is still accepting new members?

• digdirt2

You have discovered one of the problems with that forum - the long wait to get accepted. If you have followed all their application steps then all you can do is wait as each application is dealt with personally and individually.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15852

Dave

• Kansas Farm Girl - Shell - South of KC

"I've contacted the admin/webmaster a couple of times and still haven't heard back." This is sooooooo true. Good to know it's not just me. I have been in the same limbo for many months.

Shell 6A

• hafamily5

Uh oh, Kansas Farm Girl, that's not so encouraging, lol.

Digdirt- thanks. I read in your link that it can take 48 hours. Maybe something is wrong with the system.

• stevie

that site is poorly managed and offline more online. my account got deleted because i guess i didn't login for more than a few months.. besides, who needs to jump through hoops to simply join a board? a forum is for people go to chat about a specific subject, and a properly managed site should be welcoming and encouraging people to sign up and join, and not a job-like position that should require vetting for candidates to join.

it's more active here and the members are just as helpful, you're not missing much, consider it their loss ;-)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)

I know this topic was already discussed once this year but it seems the thread has been erased. Do we really need to start another one? If you want to be a member over there then you'll have to wait. That's all you can do. Eventually you should be approved.

Rodney

• digdirt2

No it says your app "usually reviewed within 48 hours". But that in no way means it would be approved and/or activated within that time frame. And not sure it would actually even get reviewed in that time based on past reports of months of waiting.

It is a heavily restricted forum so if you really want to get on it you'll have to work it out with them and then you must actively contribute to stay on it. Or like most folks you can just choose to go elsewhere that is not as restrictive.

Dave

PS: and if you ever do get approved note you will still be on probation so for heaven sake do not ever forget your password

• hafamily5

Thanks everyone. I'm a little tomato crazy right now and read several tomato forums, lol. I can't get enough! It's good to know that it is so restrictive and that I will have to keep waiting.

So do some folks just never get approved?

ps- sorry, I didn't know this had been discussed before.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'm always surprised to read 'heavily restricted' or difficult to join. Not so at all.

Very friendly and many very well known breeders of new tomatoes and book authors and good all around help and seed exchange.

No advertising, and information is free to cruise without joining so learn and stop complaining... makes no sense.

New gardeners should stick with GardenWeb.

One more ' !!!! help my seeds did not sprout!!!' is not for an advanced grower forum. Keep that here....Do your research and learn without burdening those that are so far ahead but willing to help...but so many new gardeners have not even researched the basics... Maybe a new generation that wants attention ASAP.

• Angel Schliskey

Good morning I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I always start my tomatoes from seed myself. Long story short. Was doing wonderful. Was getting 2nd set of leaves started. I went out of town for a few days and while I was gone my light blew when I got home my tomatoe seedlings look horrible cuz of not enough light. Is it possible to save them or should I just start new ones? I replaced the bulbs and put the light on them as soon as I could. Anything I can do to help them other than give them light and leave alone? Or should I just face the fact that I killed my babies and need to start new ones?

I don't normally do this but ..... our colleague "Dog" has touched a nerve with me.

To whom are your referring in your rant .... Dog? Your broad statements regarding this forum are inappropriate. I beg to differ with your assessment. My experiences have been far different from yours.

I have been a market grower for 41 years.

Go on home and please keep your elitist attitude to yourself.

Good day from an "advanced grower" who's not on TV!

Shell 6A

• ncrealestateguy

Dog, if GardenWeb is for beginners, why you still post here? Did your last crop fail to germinate?

• Labradors

Angel,

Could you please start a new thread because your questions may go unnoticed here. If you could take a picture of your seedlings or tell us if they still standing, it would be helpful.

Linda

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Yes, I agree the dog was very rude!!!

Yes, TV is very restrictive. I do browse there occasionally. If they would let non-members view attached pictures it wouldn't be so bad but for whatever stupid reason that is verboten.

• Think_Sun (7a N VA Blueridge Mts)

Hafamily5 and Shell, have either of you had your accounts activated?

• hafamily5

Yes, a few weeks ago.

• Kg Tg Zone 6b IL

I applied in early March and still nothing....I just like to view other people's photos...K sera sera whatever will be will be......

• suncitylinda

I have been a member at TomatoVille for many years and find it a wonderful forum. It is privately owned and managed and still has no advertising. Also people who get too snarky get kicked off. It can take a long time to get approved. There are any number of professional growers and tomato breeders who make their home there and I have learned a lot. This and TomatoVille are the only gardening forums I frequent and they both have good appeal to me anyway.

• MusicMinded (6b/7a)

Thanks for your thoughts, Linda. I appreciate Tomatoville members' enjoyment for engaging on just about everything. GW is great for getting helpful feedback but I've noticed that many topic introductions here are met with a "look up an old thread" response.

• Ian Sammons

It wouldn't be so bad... but the website says that it'll be reviewed in 12 hrs and in the rarest of occasions take 24, and to contact them in those instances... then the admins email rejects contact. It's pretty frustrating... and kind of amazing that it's still apparently the most active forum on tomato gardening despite the fact that it takes MONTHS to register and they don't warn you of that fact at all. Yes, they foot the bill for the site and that's great, but they should at least amend the site to explain that it will be weeks or months to be reviewed, not hours. There's no legitimate reason not to. Evidently it's been like this for years and the registration messages still say something like "It'll take up to 24 hrs but usually much less"... that's just silly. I wrote a two page introduction explaining my background and why I was there and looking for advice. Detailing projects related to tomato growing I was working on and explaining why I was glad to find such a forum, etc... Then over the two weeks that passed, I gradually edited the post (saved in a .doc) to reflect the updates as the unexpected delay (attributed at the time to the holidays) pushed into my introductory post... then when I found the posts online from 2016 until now where people mention that it now takes weeks, months... maybe years to get a registration reviewed, I just deleted it. Hell, I'll probably be on my second or third crop of the project tomato garden I was building by the time I have any hope of being able to ask for advice on it. What's the point of that? It's Internet communication that is less efficient than the pony express... effectively neutering the biggest benefit of the Internet as a vehicle for these sorts of communities.

• daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX, Sunset z30)

I gave up on Tomatoville years ago.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

TV approved a few hundred new members just a few months ago. I'm not a TV member but I noticed a lot of newbies posting there sometime around late summer/early fall. It's been pretty quiet there recently.

I applied two or three times over the last half-dozen years. Never got any response. Maybe I'm on their blacklist for some reason.

• Joel Lippman

Been waiting 6 months approval and Today the website down. Too looked a great forum with great people.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Joel - TV is back up now.

• Joel Lippman

Thanks but wonder why it's 6 months and still no approval? Can't look at pics or post. Bad business

To be more specific, I've had a login for a long time, but whenever I try to post, I get a "Oops! You do not have sufficient privileges to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: ... If you are new here and are trying to post, your account may be awaiting activation. This can take up to 24 hours. If you believe you are getting this message in error, please contact Mischka immediately via email: webmaster@tomatoville.com - thanks!"

So I've done that, repeatedly, with no answer and no activation. Yes, bad business, but as far as I can tell, it's not a business. Now, Mischka is a dog, I believe, so typing on a keyboard is probably hard. Carolyn Male, who I think is a moderator, is still around.

• Labradors

Dan, did you ever go to the 2 cents Forum and introduce yourself? It's such a shame that you're nearly there, but not.....

Linda

What is the 2 cents forum? Never heard of it.

• Labradors

Sorry. I should have said "Town Hall". It's where newbies have to go to introduce themselves, after they have done that, they can post anywhere. (The 2 cents forum is for Off Topic discussions).

Linda

If the Tomatoville moderator can't tell me what to do in order to be able to post, I don't see why I should bother with it. The "How to become a Tomatovillian" page never says anything about the Town Hall. It says "Once you submit your application, you will automatically be an e-mail to confirm your membership request and email address." Never happened. I never turned into an e-mail and, forgiving their omission of a word, never received one either.

Frankly, I've lost interest in them.

• Labradors

Oh dear! The email would have instructed you to post an intro on "Town Hall" and then you'd have been all set. Bummer that you never received it :(.

Linda

To be perfectly honest, I grow tomatoes, and I like them, but I've lost any fetish for them. I harvest tomatoes for just two months out of the year. Other months it's too cold, or too hot, or too late in the season. But I've really gotten into melons (melon villains, anyone?) which are wonderful, and bear for five or six months.

• HighColdDesert

This discussion made me curious so I clicked over to that forum and immediately found this advice about joining:

"Do *not* register using a mobile device connected to a cellular network. Our security software will automatically reject and delete your membership application without notification. Membership applications submitted from proxy IP addresses are also automatically rejected and deleted from our database without notification."

There is some other advice about how to make sure you can join. Maybe some of the people above didn't notice that advice...?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

It appears that TV might have died. Their website has been down since Monday. It was also down off and on the last couple weeks.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, SE GA

Site is definitely down, but I would be surprised if they don't work out the glitch, and get back up soon. Maybe Carolyn will see this and comment.

edit: It's back up.