Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_hughes13

live edge table dilemma

9 years ago
My boyfriend and I bought this really nice live edge coffee table at a garage sale last summer. It's a nice solid piece of wood, about 2 inches thick. Unfortunately, there is a plate glued to the top of it (originally it was an ugly gold colour so I tried painting it brown to blend it in more with the table). What I'd really like to do is remove it completely but I'm afraid of damaging the wood in the process. The other thing is that the plate could be hiding something as it looks like there are a couple of cracks leading to it. My dilemma is should I leave it the way it is, or should I attempt to take it off and potentially ruin the table. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions!

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago
    A plate?? Was there a purpose for it? So strange.

    I'd say remove it because no matter what damage you do to it, you can't leave it there.
  • 9 years ago
    Is this a coffee table? If it is, I guess you could put a plant on it, but other than that I don't see any purpose for it at all.
  • 9 years ago
    This is beautiful, even with the weird plate. You did a good job with blending it in. I like the plant idea. I would be worried about messing up the table. In the very least you'll have to refinish the area you remove it.
  • 9 years ago
    I have put plants on it but I would love to use the space for something else. Maybe if it was in the middle I would consider keeping it but I defintely don't like where it is now! I agree with the legs, my thoughts were some metal legs (maybe hairpin or something sturdy like this)
  • 9 years ago
    I have to say, this made me burst out in laughter! :-D The top is really nice. Have you looked at the underside of the table top? My guess there might be a knotty hole. No biggie. Wood is natural, organic, not perfect. If you remove the plate be prepared to refinish the top which is not hard.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    /\/\/\ exactly, you will need to sand the whole top and refinish. Not fun but not hard either. Hairpin legs will help tremendously.
  • 9 years ago

    i'm surprised you didnt ask the seller. it had to be pretty egregious to warrant gluing a plate to the top.... a knot with a serious depression, cigarette burns, could be anything.

    perhaps you could consider flipping the whole thing over and using the other side?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What paint it NO!! that is NOT what you want to do!! This is a rustic table as you will ruin the look!! Paint!! Really people on here!! Yes you can take off but it might be routed in, which will be a problem. That is weird that it is there as maybe a flaw in the wood right there.

    Ken


  • 9 years ago
    There were two tables at the garage sale and both had a plate attached, I'm guessing they used it to put drinks on the table. The lady who sold it to us didn't know much about the table as her father built them along time ago
  • 9 years ago

    I happen to like the tray being at the end. In the middle would look odd.

    The legs are more of an issue to me - they look too flimsy for such a sturdy top.

    I would embrace - such a great garage sale find - I would have bought both !

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Why do you adhere a big 'ole tile to an engineered stone countertop? To cover up a big 'ole burn mark. Why do you adhere a plate to a live edge coffee table? To cover up some natural funk.

  • 9 years ago

    HI -- Mountain MT -- don't panic .. I think she said she painted the plate that is on it and not painting the table . Relax ! Remove the plate because wood can be refinished and resin can fill any deep holes or cracks if needed . Actually all the cracks and bumps and bruises are part of the character of the wood . Find some better legs ... maybe a chrome base which you can get from any upholsters or on-line . Are you sure you like this table ? I think I would put it out on the patio .

  • 9 years ago
    I would put a couple of candles in it and move on.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hey lefty! Yes as the legs look a little small and different for that type of table. The builder of this must have had a reason for the plate as others say What is that for! If it is just adhered to the top, take it off and you can sand it down to re finish it! If painting the plate only what color? Look at the feature, is the wood the main feature or the plate?

    Ken


  • 9 years ago

    I don't see how you could ruin the table by removing the plate. Worst case scenario you just have to put a nicer plate on whatever is underneath.

  • 9 years ago

    HI -- Hey Ken .. just giving you a bad time .. respectfully ! That table looks like it would work in one of your projects ! When all else fails then get a pottery artist to make a cool and rustic looking platter or tile for the table ... a place to put the Tea or Coffee pot when entertaining .