Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacgarden

Favorite hostas

If you had to choose only 5 hostas , proven to be good growers and beautiful, what would you pick? My choices are Montana Aureomarginata, June, Guardian Angel, Liberty, Dancing Queen.

Comments (30)

• DiggingInTheDirt
    7 years ago

I'll nominate Sweet Home Chicago as a good grower. My definition of good grower is rapid growth rate. Sweet Home Chicago is one of 14 hostas I bought at the same time and planted in the same location in identical soil conditions. Second year it had 29 eyes. This year I've counted 55 so far.

This is quite exciting for me, because up until this newly created bed, my hostas were stagnant or extremely slow growing. The difference? I spent hours amending my heavy clay soil with sand and compost. Plus, this is the only bed that is not near tree roots, another problem I'm identifying.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    7 years ago

Today my favorites are Blue Mammoth, June, Kiwi Full Monty, Liberty and Paradigm. My favorites tend to change from day to day. Also most of my hostas have been purchased in the last two years so they haven't had a chance to mature. I am looking forward to seeing more of my hostas as mature specimens. Maybe next year this list will switch around.

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Chinese Sunrise, Fleet Week,Restless Sea,Bridal Falls,Green Acres...but 5 is not enough...and I'm also with Beth and Babka...the favourites change so often...and the more you get the harder the decision...

• mae (zone 5b On)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Five fav. good growers:

Abba Dabba Do, June, Marilyn Monroe, Rainforest Sunrise, and Regal Splendor

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    7 years ago

I am picking five that do well for me, and, the "critters" always leave alone. Halcyon is number one then Elegans, topped off by Blue Mouse ears which is a great grower. To finish my top five is Paul's Glory and Sunpower.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

I like Krossa Regal, August Moon, Fire Island, June and Blue Mouse Ears..aren't you glad we can have as many as we want?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    7 years ago

My top 5 of the ones I've had for a few years would be,

Paul's Glory

Liberty

August Moon

Sum and Substance

Raspberry Sundae

These have laughed at my inexperience and poor potting media and lack of feeding/water and have increased well whist others pout and cross their arms.

I have a few others that seem to be great growers so far but are relatively new to me so they get honorable mentions,

Komodo Dragon

Niagara Falls

nigrescens

Regal Splendor

montana f macrophylla

Jade Cascade

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Heather, could you tell me what you consider a "good grower?" My top five wouldn't necessarily be strong growers, so before I answer, could you elaborate as to what you consider is a good grower?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

My good growers (in 5B, north Missouri) are Liberty, June, Guacamole, Empress Wu, and Lancifolia. Oh, one more: Orange Marmalade. Yeah, that makes 6.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    7 years ago

Can't pick just 5. Your original 5 are stellar choices. I'd have to add Goodness Gracious, Bridal Falls, Vulcan, Treasure and Queen of the Seas.....so 10.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How do you pick a favourite? I'll go with good grower as a decider.

War Paint

Liberty

Brother Stephan

Paul's Glory

June

That's today's favourites it could all change tomorrow.

Dave

• timhensley
    7 years ago

Atlantis, blue splendor, Hollywood, mon. aureomarginata, paradigm. This is so hard to do.

• Heather Macdonald
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much, you've all given me a list to search for this year! I consider a good grower if the leaves are lush and free from slug holes and brown edges all season. I evaluate all my hostas in October and when I moved to our new house, brought only the ones that made the cut ( about 60) we're downsizing house and gardens. But I'm still looking for new ones. :)

• Dedez7b
    7 years ago

Eni mene mini mo here we go. I will go with those that's has grown for me

Sagae , June, Krossa Regal, Guardian Angel Stain Glass.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Beautiful and a good grower---my list is similar to Dave's.

June

Liberty

Brother Stefan

Paul's Glory

First Frost

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Stained Glass makes my list, as does Dancing Queen. Also Emptess Wu, Lemon Ice and First Frost.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Heather- Those slug holes depend on your slug deterrent, and the brown edges depend on how much direct sun and when and your latitude and how often you water. You are getting answers from many different locations that probably don't apply, but when you boil it down, some wonderful hostas do perform across the board. Funny how the same names come up again and again as good performers. That is what the HOTYs (Hosta of The Year) awards are all about.

-Babka

• Heather Macdonald
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't agree babka.i seldom use slug deterrent and many of my hostas in the same bed will be susceptible to different degrees.the older, thinner varieties are affected more than the newer thicker ones and some just seem to be resistant.

newhostalady and dedez, I have all on your lists and they are wonderful!

• Vivien23- Zone 6B
    5 years ago

Frisian Waving Steel. Photo taken Sep 5. It gets evening sun only (after 5 pm) and is in a very windy spot.

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

My favorite top performers this year would be, Goodness Gracious, First Frost, Squash Casserole, Moonlight Sonata, and June.

• don_in_colorado
    5 years ago

Cathedral Windows

Stained Glass

Guacamole

Dress Blues

June

Subject to change, of course : )

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Atlantis

Earth Angel

Brother Stefan

Rascal

Jewel of the Nile

Smash Hit

and the Halcyon family

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

Squash Casserole

Halcyon

Gold Regal

Mourning Dove

Sun Power

Also - Gold Drop and Cathedral Windows - both great growers.

This is based on my limited experience... I have a bunch of hostas, but most haven't been in the ground long enough to rate.

• frogged
    5 years ago

Paradigm, guardian angel, montana Aureomarginata, Frances William, autumn frost

5 is not enough I have another dozen that I would choose to plant over and over again

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    5 years ago

It really depends on what my criteria will be at any point... right now I am looking for hostas that are staying nice the longest. I like my fall. As a result am wondering if some of hostas I have shutting down prematurely. Today hostas are winners Lakeside Stormwatch, Holly's Velvet piecrust and Lemon Snap, all are blooming now.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Criteria is proven good growers and beautiful, per original post... :)

• beverlymnz4
    5 years ago

Only 5, hmm.

Sunny Streaker (Hinghan Harbormaster x Ebb Tide) So I can make more:)

Journey's End

Gone with the Wind

Earth Angel

Royal Standard

Cathedral Windows...

Nope, can't do just 5 I haven't gotten to the blues yet and they are my favorite.

• djacob68z5sewi
    5 years ago

Paradise Joyce, Royal Wedding, Island Breeze, Rainbows End, Paul's Glory and Paradigm.....I know that's 6.

• Maria 4a zone St.Peterburg,Russia
    5 years ago

Niagara Falls, Viking Ship, Irish Luck, Guardian Angel, Abiqua Drinking Guard. Jessica Alba! Not a good grower, but nice...