Software
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Lighting Thoughts?

9 years ago

For those who need to see the house, HERE are the plans and where we are so far.

I'm stressing over my dining room fixture.

These are the lights I have so far.

Front Foyer:

Living Room Ceiling:
Except we have these globes. Three of these globes on hanging pendants will also be going from our foyer to our bedroom:
Sconces on either side of the fireplace:
Powder room ceiling fixture. (There are matching globes to cover the other bulbs) The fixture will be bronzed:
Matching powder room sconces:
And these are the master bathroom vanity fixtures. There are three to go between and on either side of the medicine cabinets:

Comments (29)

  • 9 years ago

    So now I come to my dining area. This is the fixture I love. However it is 38" wide and my dining table is only 42" wide. (I'm not sure if it's the circular area that is 38" which means the light fixtures would really be too wide or it's from shade to shade, which might then work. Have to ask.)

    I do have 10' ceilings in the dining area. So the question is can this work if it's 38" from shade to shade?

    If the one above is too large, what are your thoughts on these fixtures?

    A:

    B:
    C:
    BTW: the slag glass one behind the pink slipper one is a no go. It has a bullet hole in it. LOL.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hmmm...Pretty heavy and visually large items. They will definitely fill up the space and be noticed!

    cpartist thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • 9 years ago

    I have been following your home building journey and hesitate to comment because your aesthetic from what I've seen is usually on-target -- I was feeling that all the fixtures have a "sameness" to them (even though they are clearly different), and perhaps it's the heaviness aspect of them all that Virgil noted? I would go for something lighter in the dining area? Something that has a presence, but doesn't overpower or compete too much with things like the custom furniture piece you plan to have in there or the beautiful countertop you've chosen for the kitchen.

    cpartist thanked rmsaustin
  • 9 years ago

    Not the look I would have pictured for "you" based on photos of your previous condo! To me they seem like a mix of different styles and eras, that don't all complement each other.

  • 9 years ago

    I think the pictures are making them feel larger than they are. For example, the foyer fixture lights are 6" or 7" high x 4 1/2-5" wide.

    The living room ceiling fixture uses 2 1/4" fitters and the shades are 5-6" long.

    The triangular sconce is on the larger size as it's 16" high

    The powder room lights are actually quite small and the sconces for my master bath are 11" high x 4 1/2" wide.

    The first light I like is wide as mentioned at 38" wide.

    A and B are approximately 22" across and I have no idea what C is.

    I was feeling that all the fixtures have a "sameness" to them

    I'm trying to keep to the feel of the era and the feel of a craftsman house, but not the more fussy fixtures of the era.

    Or am I missing the whole point? (ARG told me that it's reminding him of a Tyrollean mansion. LOL.)

  • 9 years ago

    Not the look I would have pictured for "you" based on photos of your previous condo! To me they seem like a mix of different styles and eras, that don't all complement each other.

    I had removed the lights from the condo and replaced them with HD specials since the Arroyo Craftsman and Mission Studios fixtures (the new lights above) were expensive.

    All the antique lights shown are from 1900-1930, so all are of the period.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't see A, B & C as craftsman fixtures

    That's what I was saying in your other thread - don't get hung up on the year of manufacture (which is likely approx anyway) but focus on the style. They do seem fussy to me as well.

    cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 9 years ago

    I think it is difficult for me to choose without seeing the room ( dimensions, paint, trim, windows, flooring, art, etc.). I don't have the eye or vision that as an artist you certainly have. I know I would be able to express my opinion after seeing the finished room. When does the dining fixture have to be selected? Can it wait?

    cpartist thanked mark1993
  • 9 years ago

    I think it's too large

    I love the first light..with green glass. Beautiful detailing, very cozy..it looks like a real lady-is refined but doesn't impose herself

    22' should be nice size relatively to the table

    cpartist thanked aprilneverends
  • 9 years ago

    (my dining light is 22'..it's not visually heavy at all. it's not open -drum chandelier. our ceilings are 8 feet in the dining area, so I was careful about whether it'd feel heavy or not)

    true, it's hard to get the realistic representation without seeing the space at the same time

    providing measurements helped a lot

    cpartist thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Will all of your furnishings, fittings and fixtures also be "period" pieces? Will switch plates and devices also be "period"? Whatever you do, it should be consistent throughout all of the interiors. I love Craftsman and Mission architecture, but these are all too dark, heavy and visually overwhelming for me.

    "New" historic architecture always comes with a major decision point: Do I stay consistent with what was done in the specific historical period, or do I reinterpret modern experiences and technologies which are sympathetic and supportive of my historical bias.

    At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I lived for many years in an "new" old 1700s colonial house which I loved. The exterior was authentic (except for the add-on two car garage). But the interiors were modern, light-filled and very much supportive of my family's life style.

    Different strokes for different folks! :-)

    cpartist thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • 9 years ago

    What shape is your table? My gut feeling is that you need something more rectangular to relate to the space and compliment the island and kitchen cabinetry as well as the view to the lanai. I think if it was me, I would probably order something new from Arroyo Craftsman for the space.

    cpartist thanked Illhhi
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you everyone.

    In your dining area post, I don't see A, B & C as craftsman fixtures. I would call C more of an art deco fixture. A & B look more like fussy Victorian to me.

    Maybe I just don't have a love for old lighting ;-)

    C really is more art deco which started to come into vogue in the 20's. A and B were earlier in the century and I agree they bridge that gap between Victorian and Craftsman.

    That's what I was saying in your other thread - don't get hung up on the year of manufacture (which is likely approx anyway) but focus on the style. They do seem fussy to me as well.

    I'm not getting caught up in the year. As mentioned all the fixtures from my condo are new reproductions. I have found several other fixtures that I actually like even more. Only one problem. They're way out of my price range. LOL. Isn't that always the case?

    When does the dining fixture have to be selected? Can it wait?

    Yes it will wait until I find just the right one. Even if it means putting in a HD special until I find just the right one. I happen to love the first one. The one with the six pendants on it. I'm just wishing it wasn't so large.

    Thank you April. I love that fixture too, but I do worry about it being too fussy although the buffet nook will have a painting I got from my mother over the buffet and the frame for the painting is "fussy" too. But I think it would mean then getting more fussy than I want for the rest of the room.

    Will all of your furnishings, fittings and fixtures also be "period" pieces? Will switch plates and devices also be "period"? Whatever you do, it should be consistent throughout all of the interiors. I love Craftsman and Mission architecture, but these are all too dark, heavy and visually overwhelming for me.

    Of course not. I do mix and match.

    "New" historic architecture always comes with a major decision point: Do I stay consistent with what was done in the specific historical period, or do I reinterpret modern experiences and technologies which are sympathetic and supportive of my historical bias.

    Obviously for me, it's the latter. However, as much as possible, I do want to make a nod to the past.

    At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I lived for many years in an "new" old 1700s colonial house which I loved. The exterior was authentic (except for the add-on two car garage). But the interiors were modern, light-filled and very much supportive of my family's life style.

    Our interior is definitely light filled and modern in the sense there are lots of windows and that it's all updated technology. However there is a huge nod to history with frieze bands throughout, the oak fireplace wall, the columned book dividers between living room and kitchen/dining, Bradbury and Bradbury reproduction wallpaper, etc.

    I told my builder when we started, "I want when people first see the house, they have to stop and think because their first reaction is it's an old house that's been renovated."

    However, once they walk in, it will be clear while it nods to the past, they didn't have things like pocket slider doors, rocker switches, induction cooktops, dishwashers, wall mounted tv's, vented gas fireplaces, shades that can be controlled with an IPhone or Control 4 technology throughout.

    What shape is your table? My gut feeling is that you need something more rectangular to relate to the space and compliment the island and kitchen cabinetry as well as the view to the lanai. I think if it was me, I would probably order something new from Arroyo Craftsman for the space.

    Can't disagree with you, but I'm hoping to find something very unusual. Arroyo Craftsman (and Old California Lighting) are two new favorites.

  • 9 years ago

    PS: I think this is harder than all the headaches I had designing the dang house. LOL. At least with the house I really knew what I wanted, even if I wasn't quite able to convey it at first to the draftsman. (Thanks again JDS and ARG!) The problem is with the lighting, I don't have a clear vision of what I want.

  • 9 years ago

    Only one problem. They're way out of my price range.

    I'm really good at spending other people's money - just give me a chance ;-)

    cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 9 years ago

    I'm really good at spending other people's money - just give me a chance ;-)

    Only if I can reciprocate for you!

  • 9 years ago

    I love the foyer fixture. It's an statement piece.

    I also like master bath and fireplace sconces.

    To comment on the rest, let me think a little bit about it.

    cpartist thanked Naf_Naf
  • 9 years ago

    CPartist, what are your other lighting plans? Any cans, oplights, under counter -- different layers, etc. lamps? Also, any ceiling fans? Personally, I am not a fan of fans (pun intended) but recognize their usefulness. I'd suggest you start with the easy pieces and work from there. I think you might be trying to do too much and the lights will fight for attention. I love your living room light though! Perhaps because it is relative simple, Try finding something simple for the dining area. As I recall, you are also having some stained glass and you don't want it to fight with that for attention.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the foyer fixture. It's an statement piece.

    Yes the minute I saw the foyer fixture I knew it was the one. I guess that the fact I'm hesitating over the dining room fixture should tell me all I need to know. LOL.

    I also like master bath and fireplace sconces.

    To comment on the rest, let me think a little bit about it.

    The one for the powder bath will look sweet when it's bronzed and hanging. I do think it will go with the vanity and the whole "rose" vibe in the powder room

    The living room ceiling fixture I had up in my condo and I really love it when it's hanging. It really looks good in person.

    CPartist, what are your other lighting plans? Any cans, oplights, under counter -- different layers, etc. lamps?

    There is a can in front of the oven, and two on the wall where the prep sink is. Then there's one in front of DH's coffee cabinet, one over the buffet and one over the sink. There is a pendant that will go over each window on either side of the cooktop and then either a single long fixture or three pendants over the island seating. Additionally, yes we have under counter lighting and all the upper, upper glass cabinets will have lights in them.

    The living room has the light fixture above, the two sconces and four cans.

    Both hallways will have 3 pendants. Actually the friends entry will have something a bit more than a pendant between the two outside doors and then 2 pendants in front of the garage entry and the powder room.

    The staircase will have a can right at the entrance and then two sconces going up the stairs to the landing. There will be a semi flush mount at the landing and then upstairs, the hallways will have cans.

    So yes, lots of different layers. :)

    Also, any ceiling fans? Personally, I am not a fan of fans (pun intended) but recognize their usefulness. I'd suggest you start with the easy pieces and work from there.

    I'm not a fan of fans either. ;) We will only have fans in the bedrooms, the study and my studio. The bedrooms and study will also have four cans, and my studio will have 8 cans. (I want it lit up brighter than the ball that drops on New Years.)

    I think you might be trying to do too much and the lights will fight for attention. I love your living room light though! Perhaps because it is relative simple, Try finding something simple for the dining area. As I recall, you are also having some stained glass and you don't want it to fight with that for attention.

    Definitely something to think about. Good thing I do have time.

    Thank you again everyone. It's amazing how sometimes putting it out there helps you to clarify.

  • 9 years ago

    And the reason I keep thinking of fixtures is because they started electrical rough in this week. What a job just figuring out where the light switches should be and what lights they needed to switch on and off. Sheesh.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don't do crossword puzzles, I do lighting plans; same effect.

    Don't stress too much over the light fixture selection, they can always be changed.


    cpartist thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 9 years ago

    From your description above, it sounds like you will have a nice layered effect for your lighting plan. Did you happen to post your lighting plan? I would love to see it.

    I do like the scones you have chosen for your fireplace.

    Carol

    cpartist thanked ontariomom
  • 9 years ago

    cp - when our electric was starting I panicked and thought I had to have 'everything' but little did I know it would be another 7+ months before they would be installed! Your build is moving much more quickly but even so, all you need to know is there will be a hanging fixture of some sort over the DR table and where you want it placed and so on for the rest of your fixtures. I will tell you DON'T trust the electricians eye! If you want something centered in a room or between windows or centered to a specific feature of any kind, measure it yourself and tell them exactly where you want it. When you're looking at studs it's not always easy to eyeball center and I have a good eye for that. Once the drywall is up it becomes really obvious even if it's only off a little bit - drove me nuts till DH fixed it.

    cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I *adore* that first dining fixture!

    I love it so much that, if it ends up being too large, I would totally take the shades off and put them on a smaller circle/oval (or change to square/rectangular) base, using only as many shades as appropriate for the new diameter. Find a welder if you have to, to create/reshape the base, and use as many of the original materials as possible.

    But I am psychotic and alter nearly everything. :-D

    cpartist thanked One Devoted Dame
  • 9 years ago

    Don't stress too much over the light fixture selection, they can always be changed.

    Well yes, if I do a HD $100 placeholder, I'm not going to stress. However if I do an expensive fixture, I'm stressing. LOL.

    From your description above, it sounds like you will have a nice layered effect for your lighting plan. Did you happen to post your lighting plan? I would love to see it.

    Thank you Carol. I didn't post our lighting plan because it's another dud that the draftsman did. When I commented on it back when the plans were being filed with the city, I was told, "Don't worry about it because you'll do a walk through before a single can is placed, etc."

    So last week we spent two days walking through and placing every single sconce, pendant, can light, switch, etc.

    I do like the scones you have chosen for your fireplace.

    Thank you.

    cp - when our electric was starting I panicked and thought I had to have 'everything' but little did I know it would be another 7+ months before they would be installed! Your build is moving much more quickly but even so, all you need to know is there will be a hanging fixture of some sort over the DR table and where you want it placed and so on for the rest of your fixtures.

    Yes I do realize.


    I will tell you DON'T trust the electricians eye! If you want something centered in a room or between windows or centered to a specific feature of any kind, measure it yourself and tell them exactly where you want it. When you're looking at studs it's not always easy to eyeball center and I have a good eye for that. Once the drywall is up it becomes really obvious even if it's only off a little bit - drove me nuts till DH fixed it.


    In the kitchen over the dining table and over the island, we're just leaving wires for now so we can place the fixtures exactly where we want them once it's time to put them in.

    In the other rooms, the fixtures were measured from wall to wall.


    Thank you ODD.

  • 9 years ago

    So I spoke to the store today. The measurement is from the bottom of the pendant to the furthest pendant. The actual ring is about 32" wide. Each shade is approximately 6" square and the fixture is 36" long which means it would hang 7' from the floor which would be too high for over a dining table. I'd have to see if he can lower it. I really do like it.


  • 9 years ago

    How much do you want it lowered? I bet you could gain a couple inches with a ceiling medallion.

  • 9 years ago

    Right now it would be 55" over the table. I'm thinking I wouldn't want it more than 48" over the table so not much. The owner can lower it for me. He does modifications and repairs, etc

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio