Software
Houzz Logo Print
m3vk

Entryway: ottoman, chair or table?

9 years ago

We are having my husband's colleagues over soon and I am stressed about our entryway. Would like to get it decorated soon! I can't decide what to put in this nook.


I would like somewhere for guests to sit to take their shoes off and on. I was thinking about this round ottoman from Pier 1: https://www.pier1.com/colette-parchment-ivory-ottoman/2701662.html

Adding a black matte floor vase with fiddle lead branches?

Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago

    Another angle

  • 9 years ago

    How high are the ceilings in this entryway? If they are tall, I'd go with a table.

  • 9 years ago

    It's a 2 story entryway. I was thinking of a round glass table too but still need something where guests can sit.

  • 9 years ago

    Are the colleagues going to remove their shoes?

  • 9 years ago

    Yes. We have been to their homes as well and that is the standard here.

  • 9 years ago
    I think a round glass table with Fiddle leaf branches would look vey nice in your entry. Also the ottoman would be a perfect companion to the table.
  • 9 years ago

    Your staircase isn't EXACTLY curved, but the effect is the same in your entryway. My Houzz search was curved staircase in photos
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/curved-staircase

    I'm rather fond of demilune tables with lamps and chairs beside


    Leslie Hayes Interiors · More Info

    Here's a slightly less formal arrangement

    The Beach House · More Info


    Another inspiration

    Hesperus · More Info

    And another

    Harrell House · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I can't see the dimensions but I wonder if the diameter is too big. A narrow table or half-circle would probably fit better.
  • 9 years ago

    Half circle will be tough because of the angles of the walls. It would have to be a 32" or less table.

  • 9 years ago
    A table, a chair and some greenery would look great!
  • 9 years ago

    We have a similar 2 story entry way and went through the very same dilemma! We had a longer console table in the space and have since swapped it out for a smaller round table with a lamp and 2 smaller, stylish ottomans on either side. It's easy to change out with the seasons (different accent pillow on ottoman, different lamp/table accents and pictures on wall) and feels cheerful and welcoming as you enter the house with the added bonus of having a seating spot to put shoes on and take off. I like the chair/table example heartlight131 shows but found that a chair felt too big and overpowering in our space because of the nooks and crannies of the wall space. One of the ottomans tucked in nicely under the wall where the staircase begins. You could also consider a longer ottoman/bench too. Good luck!

    m k thanked kmw6
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you kmw6. Do you have a picture of your space? I'm having a hard time visualizing since the pictures on Houzz don't have anything similar to the odd angles in my foyer.

  • 9 years ago

    I think a round table would work nicely in your space, but I definitely think that having the other items (chair, rug, art or mirror on wall) in place would help you decide what table works with your arrangement. :) Just make sure you build height as you decorate and draw the eye up with something on the wall and a lamp or vase because your entryway is huge and gorgeous!

    m k thanked heartlight131
  • 9 years ago

    Darn, I do not. I found that pieces looked way bigger in our space (the tape measure became my friend) then they did at the store or online, so scaling for size was important for it to look right and feel appropriate for the space. Take a dining room chair & another side table from your house in there and play with the scale and placement. I'm a super visual person so that helped me. Good news it that there are so many sizes and shapes out there for tables, ottomans, chairs, benches etc...you will be able to find what looks, fits and feels right in there. Fingers crossed that time is on your side :)

  • 9 years ago
  • 9 years ago

    It's not gold, but this has a similar feeling http://www.yliving.com/tronk-design-hudson-side-table.html

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A cute chair and table might be perfect in that corner. Try something like you see here in a picture from a recent design we did.

    Leeward Renovation · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Make it interesting, first impressions, as long as it ties in with rest of house, they'll be thinking wow what does the rest of the house look like. I see you have a cowhide rug, my favourite. A mirror for guests to check themselves out, no Boggies up the nose, hair sticking up like ducks bum, lipstick on their teeth, my pet hate, happened to me, when I got in car and looked in mirror, was horrified, wanted to cry all the way home. Good luck
  • 9 years ago
    Since visitors want be seating there for long time just to take the shoes of you could get a bench seat instead of arm chair have a nice mirror above it and a real pot plant next to it if you must have a plant, but I would go for a large "look at me" mirror .
  • 9 years ago
    PS The space is funny shape so plant could go behind the bench to fill in the corner.
  • 9 years ago

    The flared table (flaired?) is nice