Software
Houzz Logo Print
glennora

window replacement

9 years ago

Is it possible to replace an old tall (8') double hung with a fixed on top and a shorter single hung at the bottom.

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sure, but is it appropriate for the history and style of the home?

  • 9 years ago

    I want to stay true to style without breaking the bank. Budget was my concern. I think I'd need to go custom to have an exact replica. The windows as is are rotting and the cord mechanisms are shot.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I've used Abatron with great success. Epoxy can't rot.

    glennora thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks very much. I'll check it out.

  • 9 years ago

    Joseph Corlett, LLC

    If the windows have been painted shut, is there a way to open without breaking something in the process. I'm guessing I start with a razor cutter?

  • 9 years ago

    I had seven windows in the LR / DR that were 60/40. I got Marvin to make them special. In retrospect, they are a PITA. I would get standard double hung windows.

    glennora thanked geoffrey_b
  • 9 years ago

    " replacement windows are a money pit."


    How do you figure that Raye?

    glennora thanked millworkman
  • 9 years ago

    Easy, 200 year old window - little putty, paint and new ropes very cheap to keep in good shape/new windows, maybe they'll last 15 years, no replacement parts, can't do any repairs, puts you on the replacement merry-go-round.

    glennora thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    "little putty, paint and new ropes very cheap"

    First you have to burn out the old glazing - which is no small task, be careful not to break the glass, scrape the paint, prime the bare spots, re-glaze the window, then you should paint the window and the glazing. It's a lot of work - and all you have is a single pane, drafty window. And when you want to clean the windows - how do you clean the out side of the window?

    OTOH, buy new tilt in windows, aluminum clad outside, wood inside, low-E glass (that really works great). No glazing. Windows tilt in for cleaning.

    Raye, you don't know what you're talking about. And I don't sell windows.


    glennora thanked geoffrey_b
  • 9 years ago

    What ^^^^^^^ said........

    glennora thanked millworkman
  • 9 years ago

    Actually I do, I've rehab'd old windows, easy to do, so pretty and no drafts. In a newer home replaced new windows - expensive and involved and who ever has the house will need to replace them again soon, it's been almost 10 years, hope they have 10 - 20 thousand to throw away. Before throwing insults you should read "Save America's Windows" by John Leeke (http://historichomeworks.com/) then head over to the Old Houses side and do some research there also.

    glennora thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    My house had almost 50 year old Woodco's and they weren't worth a dam when they were brand new, and zero to gain with any repairs. And I still disagree, you will still have a marginal window with single pane glass without the benefit of Insulated Glass and or Low E. A quality vinyl replacement unit will last you considerably more than 10 years and a quality new construction wood or aluminum clad window will last 20-30 years with minor maintenance. Of course this is arbitrary as well as we would need your definition of old. Are you talking 50 year old windows, which were more than likely borderline xrap when they were new or are you talking historic windows?

    glennora thanked millworkman
  • 9 years ago

    Glennora mentions that the windows are old, wood with cotton sash cords so it would be assumed they could be of the age to be salvaged. The thing that defines old windows is the use of old growth wood. Not the new foam-like wood used now. Interestingly there have been studies (also quoted by other posters in the Old House section) that show old windows with storm windows can meet or exceed insulated forms of glass. A 20 year life span on a new window would be amazing, most quote a 10 and at best 15 year lifespan. A rehab'd window should only need to be painted for 50 years. Here are two more great resources for saving windows: http://www.oldhouseguy.com/aesthetics/ and http://thecraftsmanblog.com/

    glennora thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Raye, you offer no specifics - you have not addressed the time consuming work it takes to reglaze / paint just one window. Old growth wood - give me a break.

    Single pane glass windows are crap. And the space needed for the weight - not insulated. If you live in a northern climate the single pane windows fog up / condense - unless you have really low humidity.

    I have 20 year old Marvin windows, white aluminum clad outside, natural wood on the inside. I'm here in Minnesota. They are good as the day I installed them. And besides, they tilt in to clean.

    What kind of paint do you use?: "A rehab'd window should only need to be painted for 50 years."

    I bet you like wooden storm windows also.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm so impressed and grateful for all the input from all of you! I'm not sure of the age, I would guess around 80 - 100 years, in the garden district in New Orleans. I'll leave the final analysis to the man who works on this building. I'm hoping I can save them within a budget that won't be too unreasonable.

    Thanks, again.

  • 9 years ago

    You might want to research & post on the Old House side. There are lots of posts about old windows and plenty of people with experience to help guide you. You might even get some recommendations for experts in your area. Now I'm hungry for seafood :)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! More great info!

  • 9 years ago

    Well Glennora, you being in the south, don't have the same problems we do in the north. However you have high humidity - and as you say the wood is rotting. Is the window sill rotting? Window frame rotting? Or the window itself?


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    geoffrey_b Wood is rotting. Ropes are broken. Several are painted shut and I imagine just getting them open may cause more damage. Ugh.

  • 9 years ago

    I guess it depends on how long you will live there, and the value of the building. If they are rotting, they need to be replaced - frame and all. You need some quotes. There is a windows forum - you could post you questions about replacement windows, and perhaps get some brand names.

  • 9 years ago

    The Garden district on New Orleans is a historic area, those windows are well worth repairing. Replacing windows will reduce the value of the house. Joseph above may be able to help you, rot can be repaired. Sash cord is incredible cheap. Windows that are painted shut can be opened with a "window zipper" and it won't cause more damage. If you replace the windows you can't go back and you may regret it. Old house people (and I'm one) value that quality of work that isn't available today.

  • 9 years ago

    Another thing, the historical district will control if you are allowed to replace windows. They can have quite stringent rules to protect the integrity of the neighborhood. Check with them first.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    "If they are rotting, they need to be replaced - frame and all."


    Nonsense. A simple cost/benefit analysis as to whether Abatron or replacement is required. Categorical statements don't allow the nuance and context critical for evaluating historic fabric.