Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Ebay #2 x Tinkerbell

dragonstone
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I didn't know whether to start a new thread on just this bulb or to wait and put other blooming bulbs in the same thread but what the heck. Dondeldux sent me some seeds and I believe only one seed stayed around to tell the tale (at least, I think it's just one bulb because the other two growing up are really close to it that I think they're daughter bulbs but hopefully I'm wrong). They were started in 2012 and it has finally bloomed this year.

This last one was earlier in the day when the sun was still out.

When I looked at the Ebay #2 photos and the Tinkerbell photos, I was expecting a lot of red or pink. Didn't expect a lot of white, which makes it really interesting to see as a result.

Comments (18)

• haweha
    7 years ago

The unsatisfying color profile in one individual seedling means nothing. What is actually important, on this occasion is, that "Tinkerbell" DOES transform the frilly edges to the progeny with a likelihood. Which nobody should take "for granted" since a very particular phaenotype can be simply the result of a very particular combination of the chromosomes, and quite not from one or very few genes which "dictate" phaenotype, so to speak. I cross my fingers for more seedlings in bloom with at least one with great coloring and conspicuous frillyness.

• mariava7
    7 years ago

I actually like it...simple and frilly! Now was this seedling exposed to enough sunlight since bud stage?

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh no, don't toss 'em. :o I probably ended up with one that just wanted to chill and didn't feel the need to impress anyone. But I was really surprised because I expected a lot of red.. and it was just not the case. hehe. I wasn't surprised to hear that you were disappointed, I knew that was gonna be the case when I didn't see anything dazzling about the flower when it opened.

Maybe next year if/when it sends up another flower, the frilliness will be stronger, but I'm not picky, I do like what I see as it is.

Yeah, there was a lot of sunlight for the plant, even during budding. I'm thinking I oughta use my dyna-gro on some of them this summer and see if that causes more leaves to come out.

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

I really like it, it's a delicate flower. You're not a fan of trumpet flowers, Donna? Please don't toss its siblings :-)

Anja

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    7 years ago

No, guys, I won't toss the seedlings, I was only kidding but I'm not a fan of pale flowers with markings that are not quite there, but I do like trumpet flowers. I guess my first reaction was so negative because it wasn't what I was hoping for and if I get to see a picture ( Joe) with all the flowers out I may have to issue Junior & Joe, an apology!! ;-))

Donna

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Third flower opened and it's... yikes. I guess it put everything in its first two flowers.

The fourth bud is extremely tiny and I don't expect anything from that one either when it finally opens.

I really shouldn't do this but I am gonna make some crosses with this. I think one flower will receive pollen from Showmaster since its opening right now, and I stored some papilio pollen from last year that bloomed (and then died, that was sad), I can use that on the second flower. Maybe stick some of this pollen on a Showmaster flower. Then try a couple seeds each, maybe 4 from each pod if all three takes. Get a new flowerbox and try that. I am interested in seeing if this frilliness can continue or if it fades away. Time will tell if things go accordingly. hehe.

• haweha
    7 years ago

There is nothing odd with the second pair of florets yielding a bloom which is slightly inferior. It can even be conspicuous in cultivars with broad floral Segments. It is a good idea, to examine whether a cultivar is capable of producing seeds. Which production of seeds is, contrary to an old-, yet possibly still popular myth, not detrimental for the bulb, at least not to a recognizable degree.

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Forgive me for updating an old thread but I figure since it's the same bulb blooming, I might as well reuse this thread.

I was going to wait until everything opened but it's been two days and I'm just eager to post on this flower, at least. Heh! This year the bulb was incredibly impatient and started sending out two scapes before the other amaryllis sent out anything.

What surprised me was the amount of color that appeared on the flowers this time around. I was expecting to see white flowers barely blushing again, so it's interesting to see specks through the flowers now.

dondeldux, I tried doing a search of the forum but the search function is sort of wonky. Did yours ever bloom yet?

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Big improvement in color from last year and you still have frills!! I like her!

Did you pollinate last year, and if so with who?

Jody

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I did! Though... I didn't want to waste my time because I have the dreaded 'red blotch' that pretty much killed most of the amaryllis I had in the ground but the ones I keep in flowerboxes seem to do much better as they're kept out of the rain during cooler weather. All the talk about 'frillliness' passing on got the best of my curiosity in the end.

This is what I have currently growing. I have in this flowerbox that I started last year:

(Exotica x Mocca) x (Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell)

(Piquant x Mocca) x (Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell)

(Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell) x Showmaster

I can't remember what was at the far right... I made a cross where EB2xTB was the father but the flower scape aborted while pods were swelling at the top. I dug out around 4 or 5 black-ish seeds where I felt a lump but I wasn't sure if they were viable. I didn't bother wasting a label in case they were duds, and I was right.

And then in another flowerbox which I completely forgot to put into the greenhouse and I think the little bulbs perished over the winter because I see nothing yet so I'll have to dig up the seeds:

(Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell) x Fairytale Selfed

Fairytale Selfed x (Ebay 2 Tinkerbell)

I'm not sure if there's other crosses but I think that's all the crosses I made because I'm pretty sure I tried to start everything last year once all the pods opened with fresh seeds. I'll have to dig through my bags to make sure.

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Forgive me for bumping up an old thread, just trying to keep all the info in one spot. I was surprised that one crossed bulb sent up blooms this spring. Unfortunately it's pretty 'ugly' and didn't have frilly edges.

This is the picture of the Mom - Exotica x Mocca for comparison. I'm not sure what happened here.

I apologize for the harsh morning sun picture too.

(Exotica x Mocca) x (Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell)

and the backside of the petals...

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

I don't think it is ugly at all!! Can you get a better picture to show off its color?

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

That makes two of us, I think it's rather beautiful.

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure! Here it is in a bit of afternoon sun... The other bud is opening and included that one, too.

• catsandhippies
    4 years ago

I like it too!

• bulbinabox
    4 years ago

I love the pattern!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus
More Discussions