Software
Houzz Logo Print
suzmue

Shall we replace these beams?

13 years ago
These beams are going to be our ceiling in our new kitchen.
They will be exposed and attached on the top with tongue and groove knotty pine wood.
They are pressure treated and I was told they may warp after already installing.
Any opinions?

Comments (39)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Could you nail the knotty pine up rather than lay it over?
  • 13 years ago
    knotty pine is already laid out and nailed on top. I will post a current picture when I get home later
    We had some people come do work this weekend and they suggested replacing it now before the kitchen goes in. But I wanted more opinions
  • 13 years ago
    This is not the same room. But this is how the pine ceiling is attached to the wood beams
  • 13 years ago
    Exposed pressure treated wood indoors could be a problem, especially in a kitchen. The chemicals used in the treatment aren't as bad as they used to be, but still not adviseable for an area that gets a lot of heat and moisture. If anyone in the family has alergies, this could be a problem, too.
  • 13 years ago
    I hit submit too quickly.

    They look like 6x6s or 6x8s, are they? I don't think you need to worry a lot about warping or checking (checking is the long cracks that wood develops along the grain, as it ages.) It'll just look like very old beams - a nice look.

    I called my favorite expert and was told that you can stain and seal the beams to prevent release of chemicals, too, so you can scratch my earlier comment.
  • 13 years ago
    They already started checking
    Do you think by sealing them it will prevent any farther checking?
  • 13 years ago
    How long have they been up? That would determine if they would check any more than they are now. What color will the knotty pine boards be? You might want a contrast between the beams and the boards, since the ceiling will appear lower if they are both stained dark, for instance. And don't forget, the stain will appear different on the beams, due to the pressure treatment, which usually has a green color. I've never seen PT used in an interior application due to the off-gassing. It also depends on when they were placed, whether they have the arsenic-based treatment of earlier PT.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with the comments above. To do a real check on beams, you may want to hire an outside local engineer to check the deflection, (sagging). It wouldn't be that expensive and you'd have piece of mind on what they, as beams are doing. Afterwards you can go with the above.
  • 13 years ago
    they have been up for about a year already
  • 13 years ago
    The exact colors are in the second picture I posted
  • 13 years ago
    thanks for all the feedback!
  • 13 years ago
    This is a current picture of the way we attached the knotty pine on top of the beams
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice!
  • 13 years ago
    thanks. The original plan was to white wash them. But now we are thinking of painting them white after a sealer has been applied. Any suggestion on if we should use a semi gloss or a flat finish?
  • 13 years ago
    Another option to painting would be to "box" them. Create a 3 sided box with pine that slides over the beams and are nailed into them. You can distress them, stain them, do anything you want. It will cover up the ugliest of all wood, (IMHO) pressure treated lumber. Plenty of videos on how to make them look 100 years old or clean and simple if you want that look.

    I have never been happy with painting P.T. wood in the long run, but then again, I have never had exposed PT in my home. Please post the photos after you decide.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to post after pictures
  • 13 years ago
    I like Jeff's idea, it's safer and will give a very light feel to the area
  • 13 years ago
    I'm definitely going to look into that
  • 13 years ago
    If you paint them, use semi-gloss or satin finish - flat is more difficult to clean.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all..
    we decided on boxing them in...I will post pictures
  • 13 years ago
    the boxing began. We are thinking of putting some crown molding on it to...
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice! I'm not suggesting for your room, but to give some ideas to others, once you box the beams in, if you than run the boxes perpendicular, than install crown - voila - you have a coffered ceiling!
  • 13 years ago
    I think those beams are a bit too close together to form a coffered ceiling - it would end looking like an inverted chessboard on the ceiling.
  • 13 years ago
    agreed...we are not adding any more beams ...think it would be overkill...however we are thinking crown molding to cover the gaps caused from the first beams
  • 13 years ago
    try Jeff's Idea.Sorry,I know nothing about this sort of thing,But Jeff's idea is the most logical and safe,
  • 13 years ago
    Perhaps it is an illusion, but the most visible beam appears noticeably bowed. I would have a structural engineer in to verify safety before I started finish work.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes...it is ...thanks ...they all were and this is why we are fixing them now
  • 13 years ago
    Almost completed
  • 13 years ago
    and we are completed
  • 13 years ago
    Looks good!
  • 13 years ago
    Kivi said it first - they came out great.
  • 13 years ago
    and we are complete
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the idea Jeff!
  • 13 years ago
    worked out!!
  • 12 years ago
    and the kitchen is complete.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks great!...thankyou Suzmue!....let us know, and more pictures of the beams!...
  • 12 years ago
    Glad it all worked out. The kitchen looks fabulous!
  • 12 years ago
    Here are more pictures of the beams ....the last two are the ceiling in the living room that the kitchen opens up to