trevslac

Can't Decide On Exterior Color

Trevor
April 29, 2013
My house was built in 1967 and has the wide aluminum siding. The siding is in good condition so I like the money saving option of painting. I recently replaced the soffit/fascia/gutters and went with white all the way around. I thought I wanted to go with a dark bold blue color, but after trying two different test spots I'm not really feeling the blue. Not sure if this is because my wider siding panels or what? At this point I'm just looking for some ideas on what colors to try next. Keep in mind the soffit/fascia/gutters are going to remain white.

Comments (79)

• Kellli
    I was just looking at all of these colors and completely agree with the color decision above. Was also thinking the same about the Truly Taupe looking Pink.
  • Trevor
    I fixed the second curve and lengthened it. I was trying to follow your advice on bringing the curve out at the end of the bed to where the edging starts, but it just doesn't look right.
  • Related Discussions

Can't decide on gray exterior color and what to do with the stone work

Q

Comments (1)
    It can be problematic to side over stucco--stucco retains moisture, and hardiplank needs an underlayment or shims of some sort to allow the moisture to evaporate. Board and batten like you have tends not to wear as well on the ground floor, it wicks moisture up the wall, especially since your home is built so close to the ground (on a slab?) If you live in a dry climate, that may be less of an issue. Take your roof color in account with the siding, and if you want to do anything with the garage and trim. Grey could be a bit dull and emphasize the brick, and would need to be balanced with some warm tones above, perhaps on the trim or the balcony. I think warmer tones to contrast a bit with the roof would be better, such as buttery yellow or grey-green. You have a bit of a cottagey feel, so two-toning could be an option. I would consider keeping and repairing the stucco (otherwise, it should be torn off before new siding is added) and consider lap siding on the bottom and board-and batten on the top for a cottage/Arts and Crafts look. You could even add some simple stub or angle brackets on the main gable over the balcony to emphasize the cottage/A&C influence if you like. although I think a gable ornament would be too much. Another option might be stained siding on bottom for a rustic feel. Needs to be renewed more often than the Hardi-plank though. Siding can be a big investment, especially if you are redoing the whole thing. Might be worth consulting a designer if you are having trouble visualizing the results. I would go with a plainer brick for the patio or clay tile, or possibly stamped or stained concrete. And a light contrasting color for the front door since it is so recessed and dark.
    ...See More

Can't decide on exterior paint color to blend with rock

Q

Comments (1)
    I think any type of light tan would look good!
    ...See More

HELP! Can't decide on colour for exterior

Q

Comments (5)
    Capping the windows sounds expensive, I would look for a color scheme that avoids it. The light gray siding would be a good thing, here's another photo showing mixed brick and grey siding. Add another photo to your next comment, stand at the edge of your property so we can see more of your home.
    ...See More

Help! Can't decide on exterior shutter color scheme

Q

Comments (18)
    Hardware on doors was a necessity back in the day before cars…the doors had to open to get the buggy inside... My friend owns this amazing renovated carriage house. The front is all barn doors…three large doors for each bay. The “motor” cars were stored in the bays and the back corner of the house was where the horse stalls were and the tack room. All had the original horizontal, stained beaded board. Of course, refurbished to perfection. Each stall held a double bed and the tack room was the king size “suite”. Two inspiring copies of the early design doors…the first has true divided windows…pretty special. Unsure if I was understood about the hardware I posted…I meant for the window shutter.
    ...See More
  • Trevor
    Here is the edging smoothed out towards the end
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Of the 6 photos you posted, i like the top left one where the curve undulates out. It may look odd to you because there is only grass here now. Honestly, it may have to go out further than the top left photo.

What you will want to do in the area (large bedding space) is plant a medium-sized tree like a dogwood or a redbud: something that will anchor the right side of the house. You want to plant it far enough out that allows for growth.

So, can you picture a beautiful dogwood there?

You can continue your curvature to the side where you will continue nice long curves in and out.
  • Trevor
    I love dogwood trees. I'm just worried my Japanese maple might get choked out if I put a dogwood too close to it.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    That curvature looks great! I would continue that same circle around the side of the house and then curve it back in once you get to the side yard (no jerky, small curves--use big swoops).

I love Japanese Maples and it is an excellent choice also. I did not notice it in the other pictures. However, do you see how it is already being crowded out by your house? Part of their interest is their, open, lacy feel. It needs a place of its own. I believe they grow to about 15 feet wide eventually (there are many different varieties, so can't say for sure). But, you would be wise to transplant it out into the circle that you just created.

I like to be honest with people and, other than the Japanese Maple (which needs to be moved), I am seeing no other plants which should be staying. You might be able to use those evergreens my the front porch (are they boxwoods?---can't quite see them).

When you get ready to plan your garden, you might start a new post on your landscaping only and see what suggestions you get from landscaping experts, as far as what plants would be appropriate. I am going to guess you will want to paint your house first, so then you will be able to show them your finished product and then get their ideas.

Can you bury your downspouts? It looks like you don't have a lot of grade in the front yard. They do have those pop-up drains now, that allow you to have less fall. Have you seen them?
  • Em Bee
    Hi Trevor, The downspouts.
    You have to be very careful the water is directed away from your basement walls. See if you can place the downspouts (painted the same colour as your house) to be closer to the wall then attach an "elbow" then a long piece of downspout to direct the water well away from the house. The long piece on the grass can be the pliable plastic kind that is curled up when dry and extendds when water is present in it. Like a retractable tube.

California shutters or wide mini blinds can be directed by the slats to provide a LOT of light into the house. And you can have complete privacy when needed. Gives the outside of the home a very classy appeal.

Front Door: How about buying a new window to put into the front entrance door? This will give the inside front foyer more light as well. They have all kinds at home inprovement stores. The glass is usually wavy for privacy and some have nice lead-look lines in them for design. You use the door you have, but cut out the new window area with the template they provide you with. Make sure the door haardware matches the front outside light, etc. I would choose black wrought iron look and paint the door a pretty medioum plum colour.

I like the colour of the garage doors you have now. Wood look plastic is definitely the way t go. No maintenance.

Cedar mulch topping the dirt on the garden area will keep away weeds much easier. Little shrubs like Boxwood are really hardy and looks lovely in the mix of shrubs you choose.
  • Em Bee
    Sorry for the mis-spells. I can't get the edit button to work....gggrrrr.... :)
  • Trevor
    Here is Sensuous Gray!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    I like it! There is enough differentiation with the garage doors that it stands out. Yet, it gives you flexibility to change the garage doors in the future. I would try painting that rest of the area next to the garage door to make sure you like it.
  • Trevor
    Got some more panels painted in Sensuous Gray. I will snap a few more in the sun tomorrow. I like this color though, very clean and bold.

I'm going to have the two downspouts on the front of the house buried this Friday. They are also going to move the downspout on the front over to the right and make it blend with the post more.

Played around with the landscape edging some more. I do like the larger curve and think the tree will look nice further away from the house. I've called two companies about moving my Japanese Maple tree. They both tell me the tree is too close in proximity to the house for their spading equipment to work. Even if they could move it, they want to charge me $125 to do this which is the cost of a new tree. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
  • Kellli
    Love the gray. I think that bright white pillars and (perhaps carriage) garage doors will look great with the sensuous gray siding.

The slopes of the landscaping that you guys have created is also coming together. Hopefully there is a way to transplant the tree; although I hope it's not, I believe that a Japanese Maple of that size and maturity would be a bit more than $125.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Trevor, yes that Sensuous gray is awesome. I too, like how it make the white pops. A few thoughts

1) You can remove those two large evergreens anytime now and things will start looking better already. Plus, it will be easier to paint. Finally, removing them now while the ground is soft will save your back. One thought is that you could try to transplant the maple yourself. You could plant it where you want it or plant it somewhere else that you might want a Japanese Maple.If it makes it fine. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing. (plus, easier to paint).

2) Then, you will be ready: this fall, trees will be discounted tremendously.....and fall is a good time to plant. One thing: make sure that bed is out far enough. I am not sure it is. Ask at the nursery how far away from the house it needs to be.

3) Front window: why is it not painted white? I am assuming you intend to to that?

4) Very noticable that spotlights are black and garage lights are gold. I would change all outside lights to black which will look great against the grey.

5) We will have to think about your front door once you paint. It might look really dark in that porch area. This is an area where you might consider color.
  • Andrew Bounader
    Hi,
    If you go to the 'Wattyl' Australia website and sign in you can upload a picture and 'paint' it any colour you like thatg waay you can try before you buy, once you try a few different reds, greens, blues or yellows you will know the tone you need to paint... simple
  • Trevor
    I had my downspout moved and new gutter drains dug today. They messed up my yard a little bit, but I'm happy with the overall look now.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    That looks great! What a difference! Keep sending pic updates!
  • Trevor
    Been awhile since my last update. I've been busy with landscaping and trying to find the best way to transplant the Jap maple tree prior to paint. After extensive research I've determined to hold off on moving the tree until the winter months. The tree is too valuable and too vulnerable to move right now. I'm just going to install the new edging with the curvy design with the intent of moving the tree later on. This means the painting project is right around the corner. Are we still thinking a dark charcoal gray for the shutters? Pictures of some new perennials to come.
  • Trevor
    On a side note I'm looking for a creative way to collect used cigarette butts on my front porch. I have a roommate who is a smoker, and frequently have get togethers during the summer months. Right now all the used butts are being thrown in a small planter full of sand. This works for collecting but not hiding the unsightly cigarette butts. Any ideas other than telling friends they can't smoke?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Shutters:

That paint on the house is fairly dark. If you go with charcoal gray, it would have to be pretty close to black to have a contrast......and black or near black would be fine. However, you could go with just about any earthy tone you want.

I am thinking that, since it might be harder to find the right garage door you want, you may want to wait until you buy the garage doors and then decide on the shutters......or at least make a decision on them both together.

Cigarette butts: They do make containers with a closed top for cigarettes butts. I don't know where you'd buy them. Another thought is that........if you are going to finish your backyard, a nice addition for not much $ is a firepit. That could serve as your outdoor ashtray as well.
  • Trevor
    Took some shots of the landscaping project. The new edging design is already looking very good. I enjoy watching the landscape shape into something beautiful.

Met with my handyman today who is going to finish up some last minute projects prior to painting. I'll keep posting pics along the way
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Trevor.....looking good!!!

Hey, I would swing out much farther on the side yard. Keep that large curve of the Japanese Maple going all the way till after the second meter. Then you can swing in a little. Then swing out again at the back corner of the house.

You are going to want to put bushes in front of those meters and then have some room behind them for servicing. In addition, how narrow you have it now, just looks disproportionate. It does't have to all be filled with plants. Boulders and rocks look great and they don't need watering or weeding!
  • Trevor
    Today I removed the boxwood and small pine tree on the corner. I have the new design edged out but have not installed the new edging yet. For right now I'm going to keep the large circle on the end the way it is. I might reevaluate when I go to move the Japanese Maple this winter. I planted some tall grasses by the meters in hopes of hiding them. What kind of bushes would you recommend? I might take your advice and start a different thread on just the landscaping.

Paint is coming this week!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    It looks so nice with those large evergreens gone....so much cleaner looking....a blank slate!

The grass you put in front of the one meter look like it is planted too close to the house for when it reaches full growth....that is why I suggested bringing the bed out on the side.

I think grasses are fine, but you need to bring out the bed enough for full growth and then for servicing. Burning bushes are not too wide and provide year-round interest.

Plant grasses and smaller plant in cirlces of three (not just one plant).

Yes, good idea to start a post for landscaping.

Great progess, Trevor!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Very good choice in the lighting. I like how it repeats the design in the garage doors (even though I know you aren't keeping them). Seeded glass is good idea.....easier to keep looking clean. Also, a big plus is that you can reach inside and change the lighbulb. So many you have to take apart for a lightbulb change.

Quoizel is very good quality.

The only thing I am wondering is about size. I would say the current ones you have are appropriately sized. The Quoizel are 15.5 tall and 9.5 wide. That seems large, but I could be wrong. I notice they make smaller sizes also.

Don't forget about the back of your house. Is there a light back there where you can continue your theme?
  • Trevor
    I was going to do two larger lights out front and the sane style light next size smaller on the porch. They do make this same style light in three different sizes. Here is the medium http://www.lightingdirect.com/quoizel-qf1514-1-light-medium-outdoor-wall-sconce-from-the-build-com-exclusive-collection/p2102839
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    It would be better to do the same size on all three if you think that is feasible. Keep in mind, because of depth perception, from a distance, the one on the front porch will already necessarily look smaller. So, making the one on the porch smaller to begin with make it look even smaller in comparison to the garage doors.

What size (approximately) are the garage door and front door light fixtures that you have on there now?

I think the current ones you have are appropriately sized.
  • Trevor
    I measured my old lights tonight. 16"X8". Glad I measured them now. I'll get the new lights on order.

Tonight I staked all the edging in the ground. I need to start purchasing some plants. No action on my landscape discussion, I might seek help locally on what plants and where.

Paint on Monday!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Some garden centers, if you bring them a drawing of your layout, will be happy to work up a design for you.

Plant in threes and leave plenty of room for future growth. Rocks rock: need no weeding, watering or ferilization and add texture.

Can't wait to see house painted!
  • Trevor
    The house is finally painted! I really like how it turned out. I've had a few people tell me it looks kind of purple, but I still like it. I went with the Quoizel lights for the exterior. The lights look very high end, but I need to get a leveling block to put behind them. Any recommendations on where to get these blocks?

I'm planning on laying some mulch down this week to give the landscaping a more finished look. I'm just going to slowly fill it in with plants over the summer.
  • njcook53
    All of your hard work really shows! Keep it up!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    The house looks great! I can see that in some light, it might look purplish. Once you get your new garage doors in and some landscaping, I think that effect will be gone.
  • emmasjeans2000
    What about a pale green?
  • Trevor
    I took a half day yesterday and purchased some plants and mulch to complete my landscaping project. I still have a ways to go, but it's starting to look very nice. I'll try to attach some more pictures of the backside of the house.
  • Trevor
    Forgot One
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Looking great! You are planting in groups of three which is good. Some recommendations:

Vary by doing some arrangements in groups of five.

The globe is too small for that area and is just getting lost.

If you live in a 4-season climate, you are going to be disappointed in the winter. All those plants will go dormant. This is where going to a landscaping place and letting them help you with a plan helps.

You need some evergreens that will be there in the winter.

You also need something more substantial up against the house (under the windows)...some bushes that have a little bit of height.

Again, I am not a landscaper, but just using my design intuition and experience as a homeowner.
  • Trevor
    I agree that I need to meet with a designer. Finding the time to do this is the hard part. I really like the globe and want to incorporate this piece into my garden. Any ideas? Maybe put it on a pedestal? I did plant a group of 5's with the Chicks & Hens. After I get all the mulch down I will look into some more filler plants.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    I would suggest you plant some boxwood under those windows. You need something to anchor the foundation. Make sure you plant them the appropriate distance to allow for growth. You will have to move some of the existing plants.

Globe: it just looks lonely. Consider buying 2 others (they don't have to be the same size or color) and making a sort of globe vignette in the same location.
  • Trevor
    My house update is long over due. Most recent improvements include front yard excavation and driveway seal-coat. Next project is going to be installing some landscaping to separate my property from my neighbors property. I really like these maple trees http://www.windingcreeknursery.com/RedMaple.html but am not sure on how many and where to put them. I have a view of a lake at the end of my driveway which I don't want to block. I'll try to snap some shots of the backside of the house.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Wow, Trevor. It is looking really good!!

Comments:

-excavated and sealed driveway really makes a difference.

-I assume concrete driveway is new and that is why you did not seal it. But, do you see how it looks a little odd. I don't know technically what you'd have to do to make the driveway look as one. You'd have to blacktop over the concrete, right? I understand why you might not want to do that to new concrete, but do you see what I mean?

-now that I see a distance shot, that huge bush in the front yard does not look good. Is that a lilac? You could try cutting i way down. The better solution would be to remove it. You could probably keep the bush to its left. Then you could make a nice bed there with some colorful perrenials.

Screening trees: the maple is beautiful. There are maples called columnar maples which grow more tall and slender and still have the great red fall color.

Even better would be an evergreen that would stay green all year round. I am not sure what zone you are in, but an example is Skyrocket Juniper that grows quickly, is very vertical and stays green all year round.

http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Skyrocket-Juniper-p/junsky1.htm

looking forward to pics of rear yard.
  • Trevor
    Here is a link to my Discussion board on using landscape for property seperation. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/ideas-to-seperate-property-lines-dsvw-vd~652926
  • Trevor
    RE Concrete Driveway- The company that sealcoated the driveway said every time he has tried to sealcoat over cement he hates the result. I totally agree that it looks really funky having half the driveway being a bright cement. I might look into a remedy next Spring for this. If anybody has ideas please let me know.

RE Bush- Unless I'm mistaken there are a total of three lilacs tangled together in the front yard. Are you saying to keep one of these three and plant some perennials in the bed? I kind of like this idea. My concern is my lack of experience with trimming plants. I don't want to harm the lilac I decide to keep, and want it to come in thick when it blooms. My neighbor is a landscape manager for a local college that I ask for advice. He looked at my lilac mess and told me it looks fine and that's how they grow. Hmm... Maybe he specializes in grass mowing.
  • blisscottage06
    So here's what I know about pruning lilacs - you can remove the oldest, thickest stems to the ground, taking out about 1/3 of the branches each year for 3 years, so that at the end of this pruning cycle, all the branches will be younger and therefore shorter. This means the spring flowers will be lower and more visible. the whole shrub will also be thicker looking, as you were hoping. In my area, anyway, it's pretty hard to kill a lilac, so don't worry too much about it! Your new landscaping and paint and lighting look terrific, btw!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    True about lilacs. They are meant to grow that large. In my last house, I trimmed down huge lilacs. I then transplanted them. To my surprise, they grew back.

Here is the deal though: the lilacs were planted inappropriately. As you can see, they grow to around 10 feet tall and about 5 feet wide. They should not have been planted so close together or in a spot where they blocked the house.

So, you have a couple of choices

1) Do as bliss said, and trim them 1/3 for each of three years. Then, in future years, you will have to prune them each year to keep them at the appropriate height for the front yard (maybe about 2 feet high)

2) Trim them now (this is a good time of year to do it). Transplant them to the back yard (or to where you want your screening on your side yard!!). Plant them far enough apart to allow them to grow to their full growth.
  • Trevor
    Shots of the rear and East side of house
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Wow. That is such a huge improvement Trevor......that is a lot of work!

I would love to see a deck off of that sunroom and other backdoor area.
  • modernistlover
    Such a stunning grey. Good job on this! Totally inspired to start painting strips of colour on my exterior cladding in order to find the perfect tone of grey.
  • Trevor
    Modern- Thank you for the kind words. It was a long process finding the right color, but it all worked out in the end.

CDR- I would love to have a nice back porch area at some point. However this may be a few years down the road. I don't believe I have the knowledge or expertise to install a patio/porch by myself.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Well, maybe you can plan for it then.....I am thinking a deck where you walk out from the doors and then stepping down to a flagstone patio below.

Inspiration for you

houzz=
    Outdoor Living - Deck and Pergola · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Fire pit - Water feature - Pergola - Paver courtyard · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Pelham Shingle Style for a Modern Family · More Info
    ]

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268