Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

Not an antique. But WHAT??

9 years ago

at the habitat store. Something really cool that I don't appreciate or an ugly piece of junk just like I thought?


Comments (13)

  • 9 years ago

    Ugly piece of junk....

  • 9 years ago

    Looks like a piece of a commercial installation. A counter for customer and agent. How tall is it?

  • 9 years ago

    I didn't see it. It's on line. But it's too ugly to even consider. My junking buddy posed the question to me. My knee jerk reaction was Ewwwww. And then I thought of all the Ewwww stuff on Antiques Roadshow.....

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hand made post-modernist table circa 1980-87-ish. No particular value but if it was cheap enough you could fix it up and repaint it if you like the floating acrylic leg thing.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh it's pretty bad, but it has its naive inspiration in stuff like this table by Peter Shire of the Memphis Milano movement (1981)


    And in this, an Omnibus ottoman by Vladimir Kagan

  • 9 years ago

    Well, like I said, some of the stuff on antiques road show..... I would have thrown in the dumpster.

  • 9 years ago

    The Memphis Movement table is currently on the market for $18,000. It was never really meant to be taken seriously as furniture, it was a design statement that furniture making had reached sort of a stasis, once it was minimized to bean bag chairs and inflatable things, in the previous two decades, but people collect it as modern art of sorts.

    The Kagan Omnibus sofa and other pieces have been in continuous production since they were designed, and that particular chair and ottoman run around $6000. Some of the pieces have lighting for the acrylic parts, I think .

    It's a strange time in collecting because non-antiques are really surpassing antiques with regard to pricing and "desirability".

    Some post-modern pieces are just as bad as the knock off you posted, I don't know that people will ever be interested in stuff like that but the original Memphis Milano stuff is kind of interesting.

  • 9 years ago

    That is exactly how my life works. A piece of junk that I think is too ugly to live is worth $18,000 but I don't know it until 20 years after I've thrown it away! I'm still remembering a picture I threw away in about 1966. I don't know why I didn't leave it in the frame and put my new picture over it. That decision haunts me.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh I dunno, the Restore table is clumsy but the Memphis pieces are odd but well considered and if you get into the philosophical discussions (if that is quite the right word) behind it, it was challenging current esthetics and function.

  • 9 years ago

    Re the shape/purpose, it makes me think of a manicure table!

  • 9 years ago

    I don't have anything against that ottoman but how is that (and whatever chair it goes with) worth $6k? Rhetorical question I guess, there's no accounting for the high end no matter what topic you're talking.

  • 9 years ago

    Like art, whatever someone will pay for it, did you see the black young guy painted several ugly paintings & 1 went for millions, was on news yesterday, think the painter died of drug overdose so didn't get to enjoy any fame or fortune.

Sponsored
More Discussions