Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachaelhz

Exterior Chimney

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Previous owners put stone trim on the lower of the chimney. I removed all of the trim but I haven't finished removing all the cement that held the trim. Still working on that... (it chisels right off).
However, I'm not sure the brick chimney fits in with the rest of the look of the house. Plus it has noticeable damage on the upper portion.

Question: Should I cover it completely in stucco and match the paint color of the rest of the house?

Comments (28)

  • 13 years ago
    Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    My only concern is that where you can see black up on the top of the chimney, the brick is breaking and one of the metal re-bar is broken - but only just in that spot. Is there a way to seal that with either a metal strap or band around the whole chimney and then stucco and/or will the stucco be able to secure it alone??
    More photos to come...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hard to see from photo but got your point. Best to have a brick mason patch it first and opinion from a general contractor to inspect.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't think you should stucco it. The nicest thing about the chimney is that it provides a contrasting color and texture from the rest of the house. It also has a really cool, unusual brick pattern. I would suggest staining the brick a dark brown or gray, almost black, with concrete stain (stain just the brick not the mortar, there are tutorials online to do this easily and inexpensively yourself). This would go well with the other dark accent colors at the eaves and the garage hardware. It would also conceal the soot marks at the top part of the chimney. I think stucco would make the chimney look odd next to the stucco of the house, instead of making it stand out as a really nice design feature. I also think you need to have a brick mason repair it before you do anything.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd just have a mason point up the brick (repair any cracks) and then paint it either white or a darker shade in the same family as the color of your house. I'd use the money saved to spiff up the landscaping some.
  • 13 years ago
    It's a little old. I would have loved it if it had been staggered bricks but not only is it stacked but it's stacked with those "new" bricks which are not as nice of a color. The "old" bricks tend to have browns, whites and different shades of reds. Most chimney's are staggered. This looks very retro 60's or 70's.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes that brick pattern is very "retro" streamline modern! Previous post made a good point it is a "focal" feature, but I would still stucco over. Just my opinion.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Kevin. I kinda agree. It certainly IS a focal feature but not the good kind! It just doesn't seem to fit or suit the rest of the house. One side of the house looks like a chalet type manor and the lower part looks like a bungalow and the chimney is just interesting. I would have normally liked it. I love brick.. but I just can't seem to get used to the stacked look and how it ties in with the rest of the house. The trim was awful but at least it looks "better" than before when it had trim but still... something is off. I love that there are bricks along the container walls....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes your home is a combination of styles! Reminds me of homes in SoCal neighborhoods where i grew up! takes me back! You got a great start with the garage doors!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes! So Cal... on the Rancho PV/San Pedro Peninsula.
  • 13 years ago
    If this were my house, I'd play up the mid-century elements like the chimney and planters. I'd think about changing the balcony railing to something horizontal.
  • 13 years ago
    Your new paint colors are perfect. I can't believe how good your house looks compared to the before pics.

    I was flipping through the newest C&B catalog just now and saw a picture that reminded me of your chimney. I don't think Houzz will let me post the actual picture, so you'll have to check via the online catalog ("Early Summer Inspiration 2013" page 14). http://www.crateandbarrel.com/Catalog/default.aspx?Catalog_name=7924_67937a23_2dd308cc&display_name=Early%20Summer%20Inspiration

    It looks like they painted the brick chimney to match the walls, and I think it looks quite good (with or without the ornament).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @rachaelhz, that's too funny! Now I know where I saw it! I took a tour of downtown Rancho Palos Verdes and had lunch at a cafe! I like to poke around L.A. when I'm at my SoCal Studio! Look familiar?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could take your home toward Modern Style as noted in post above, but judging from your new "traditional" garage doors, if you stucco over the brick, it could go "Monterey Colonial" too? If you are inclined to peg a style that is!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Monterey Spanish Colonial style
  • 13 years ago
    I'd stain it the same color as the beams...
  • 13 years ago
    I'd keep the chimney too - I think eelyram is right about it being a cool midcentury accent. I don't think the bones of your house are a mishmash of styles at all, though it appears that there are some design elements that don't quite follow along. The railing for the balcony and the garage doors don't fit the house, and the exterior light is too small and the wrong style as well. If money were no object (ha!), I'd suggest you replace the railing with something iron or metal - not spanish in style, but minimalist. I'd also replace the garage doors with more midcentury style doors made of a dark stained wood that matches the beams. Add some landscaping and a modern exterior light, and things will be looking fab!
  • 13 years ago
    melkenlee, I just had the railing re-done! The ones before were not up to code because the rails were too far apart and a lot of them were rotted. The style that our painter ended up doing was more in line with the area that we live, similar to Rolling Hills & Rancho Palos Verdes, California. So I won't be changing the railing.
    Here is a before photo.
  • 13 years ago
    Kevin, those photos look like Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes with the large water fountain in the front. I run from there all the time for many, many years. Beautiful.
    I never really knew what style this home was. Monterey, Spanish Colonial? I used to think cabin, chalet. haha
    Maybe I didn't think out the garage doors very well cause I'm still not sure it suits the style of the home but since we had them done, we've had a lot of compliments on them.
  • 13 years ago
    venicekeystone, I just saw the photo you posted... hmmm, I think at one point I thought of painting them but a few people said it wouldn't look good or right. But I can see from the pic that it works for that house. I think it gives it a very modern look. I'll have to think about that one again.
    I have seen one photo on staining brick. That was also an option... I just don't know. Maybe leave it alone and see if it grows on me. Then try staining next. If that doesn't work, then painting the brick to match the house. And finally, stucco. But I'd never do all that. My husband would REALLY think I was crazy.
  • 9 years ago
    I think the brick finish is worth saving for texture...while painting in a solid color...but finishes that are muddled like stain won't really go with the rest of the house...stucco is a good option to bring a sort of uniformity in an already sort of unidentifiable style home..as to the little jog in the garage door choice ...perhaps paint the hinge detail to match the door to bring it back in line with the more modern vibe of the home
  • 9 years ago
    Hinges could also be the color of the house ....a more subtle effect to a nice detail that you may not want to read as hinges but as an accent to the design
  • 9 years ago
    To polish the curb appeal and take advantage of the architectural interest of the new chimney..perhaps a beautiful but simple tree with an interesting silouette planted directly in front of it ....with a uniform border along the edge of the raised bed...of striking grasses..if you love the roses move them somewhere you can enjoy and see them from inside the house
  • 9 years ago

    Funny I have a new post on this after all this time! Today, coincidentally I finally had the chimney fixed! I kept the brick too.

  • 9 years ago

    Yeah! I'm glad you kept the brick. Do you have a picture?

  • 9 years ago

    Post one tomorrow. The sun was going down & couldn't get a good pic.

  • 9 years ago
    Rachael..what a coincidence...after all this time your post comes up and you are now fixing the fireplace...once in a while something just catches your eye and you don't notice the dates...I too would like to see a pic