Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcclainfour

Front Door Color

9 years ago

I have been stewing over this for months. This is a dark area, leaving me even more up in arms. I have heard black, turquoise and dark grey. We just replaced the glass in the door so I want to leave it as is . Please excuse the landscaping it is in the works!

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Central Park West · More Info

    mcclainfour thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    flowers for pots · More Info
    Coleus would do well in that somewhat shady area. Just pinch back tiny new leafs that start in the center of the leafs. This will keep the plants from getting long and "leggy" and keep them compact and create a "lush" grouping of color.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looking at the picture, you seem to need balance in that area. I would bring one of the lightest color of your roof and paint the door. Your roof looks like a mixture of many shades of grey. The lightest grey would look great. Otherwise, you can paint the front door the color of your garage door. Again, to bring some balance to this area. Or, continue with the color of your shutters. Or, use white to match your trim. You have many choices.

    mcclainfour thanked FLAIR INTERIOR DESIGN
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Is that a wood door w/ glass or a storm door over your wood door? If you feel the area is dark I would not tell you to paint it a dark color. Go lighter but not white or beige or gray. Come on! This is where a house says "welcome!". Or not.....

    I'd also lighten up the furniture you have there.

    Custom Home Built By SFH · More Info

    Green Door Colonial Renovation · More Info

    Harbor View Hills · More Info

    Queen Anne Bungalow Resurrection · More Info

    mcclainfour thanked jansgirl
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Just remember, dark colors "recede" visually, so any color darker than your trim will "recede". I don't recommend that for your front door. It is already "shaded" so you need "light".

  • 9 years ago

    So many great ideas so far. To explain more about the door. The white trim around the glass in the door is how the glass comes from the factory it will be painted the same color as the rest of the door.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    First your home is charming and inviting. Your grass courtyard area is a perfect set up with less maintenance with a few ideas I have posted. Here a few ideas and lightens up the area while giving you texture. I would remove the furniture on the front porch area. I think the grays in your roof would add a spark to your door. . Trellis with greenery or a flowering vine. The space to the right is bare and needs something to soften. Bushes with a large vase for height or water feature..

  • 9 years ago

    I have never thought about what you did with the landscaping there. What a difference! We had planned to add more azaleas and some sort of tree to the right off the shuttered windows. Thoughts?


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Second option and door color possibility. I tried to make the door a tan to view. I like the blue the best as it picks up the colors in your roof. Best of luck with your decision.


    .

    mcclainfour thanked Jodie White Designs
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Did you mean to the "left" of the shuttered window in front? Be careful you don't overplant and then it becomes "visually" blocking I would do low for your first two rows in that area and then something a bit higher, but not as high as hydrangeas. Also, make sure whatever you plant will work and live with the sunlight of the area and the duration of sun per day. Also, install watering devices to keep things watered properly. Don't overwater!

  • 9 years ago

    I would say paint the door an orange color.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think Azaleas are great and if you did a tree something that is not going to be huge. Depends on your climate and placement of sun. Hostas add great texture as well .

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree with Jodie, I like the blue option the best.

  • 9 years ago
    Limewash the entry wall and upgrade the lighting.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree on lighter blue front door as suggested by Jodie White Designs. A fountain, water feature would be great with hostas added around it. A large planter close to door with mixed plants for height, light bright colors, some greenery and a spiller plant over type plant that trails over container. Add yellows and reds. It looks happy and welcoming. Paint bistro table the same blue to lighten up area. It will be so nice looking.

  • 9 years ago

    Jodie's light blue gray door is very nice for the home and works well with the roofing.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The roof is a small l portion of your curb appeal and should basically disappear visually. If you want some blue gray paint the shutters and garage door but leave roof in the background category. Front door is best in light color.
  • 9 years ago

    ?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What I meant, @Porter was I wouldn't make the roof the focal point by repeating the color. Keep the focus lower. Some photos of brick, with similar features.

    Country House in Tenterden · More Info
    Recessed door in a deep teal.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Brick Home with Red Door · More Info
    Raspberry door pops! Darker trim.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Exteriors · More Info
    Kind of hard to see but the door is a medium to light gray with light gray roof.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Yellow Front Door · More Info

    mcclainfour thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago
    I love the raspberry door with dark trim unfortunately all our trim is siding.
  • 9 years ago

    I vote for Flo's first comment...perfect.

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio