Software
Houzz Logo Print
taylorc99

Okna 600 review

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We had Okna 600 series windows installed in early February after months of research and locating an okna dealer. Our new windows exceeded our expectations in terms of both quality and appearance. The main reason we needed windows was because of our bedrooms, especially our children's bedroom. The rooms were freezing in the winter and like an oven in the summer. As soon as the windows were installed we noticed a dramatic improvement that night. February had some very cold days and we were able to stand by the windows and not feel a draft.

The install team did a great job and seem to have sealed everything properly. They used foam as that seemed to be the most advisable method of insulating according to the pro's on this forum.

Thanks to the information we received from this site ( we must of read about 3 pages of various window topics) we were able to narrow down our search to a few highly regarded window brands recommended by a lot of the pro's. In the end we chose the Okna 600 and look forward to the difference we see with the heat. We are supposed to get some very warm weather next week.

We had a total of 17 double hung style windows installed and one large picture window. All the windows are white except for 3 on our sun porch that we decided to get a cherry interior to match stained trim on out porch. The cherry that Okna uses looks very classy and its almost a perfect match.

thanks for all the information this site has to offer.

Comments (34)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You certainly chose a very nice looking window, they will serve you well for many years. The Okna 600 series is a top rated window offering. The Okna 600 is right up there in terms of quality with Soft Lite " Elements" and Sunrise " restorations". We always like to see consumers do their research.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm about to pull the trigger on new windows and the Okna 600 series is first in the running for me. I have spent hours looking at reviews, reading what you guys post on various sites, and have even allowed some sales guys into my house - I detest the high pressure sales pitch of buy now and get the best price, hogwash! Anyway, I certainly want to compare apples to apples on other manufacturers. So I'm looking at Polaris and Soft-lite as well in the Knoxville, TN market. Which models are comparable from both and is the balance mechanism an issue to consider that makes it a deal breaker. I've read that the block & tackle is the best. Appreciate your advise!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Soft-lite’s Imperial LS or the Elements would be good choices that are comparable to Okna 600. While I prefer the block and tackle, the constant force is a very good balance system. I’m not overly familiar with the Polaris lines, so I’ll let others help out there.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The Okna 600 is an excellent window and it compares to both the soft lite elements and imperial LS. I used to offer polaris ultraweld at one time and although it was a pretty good window, both the Okna and Soft Lite are better windows and also much better looking.

    the block and tackle is an excellent balance system and so is the constant force, especially when constant force has a teflon coating.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You looking at casements , double hungs or sliders?

  • 8 years ago

    Dbl hung only plus one fixed. All openings are 3.5' wide except for bathrooms and dbls are more affordable. Only thing about dbl hung is the half screen and who opens both anyway?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I’d get prices and then decide, I’d consider The Polaris Thermalweld plus instead of the Ultraweld since it is prettier and built just as well IMO.

  • 8 years ago

    So thus far for my 16 dbl hung / 1 fixed prices; Okna 600 10.3k - grids on 6 and bronze ex color. Polaris TW Plus - 2 separate dealer prices, verbal at $790 ea. before add-ons, other...and hold on to your cookies...25.5k and this same guy priced Soft-lite LS at 31.9k and the Pro at 25.5k. I about s@#& a brick when I read the prices. I'm thinking he doesn't want my business and I'm not even an engineer!

    So I'm down to the Sunrise - appt this Sat. and the Okna. I briefly looked at the Slocomb but nah.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If all the installation methods,details and window specs are the same and reputable companies the Okna 600 sounds like the winner. I am not a fan of the Sunrise double hung and would not consider it.

  • 8 years ago

    Home run for the okna here.

  • 8 years ago
    Jim Lewis - I’m also in Knoxville. Can you let me know where these estimates are from and what you decided to go with?
  • 8 years ago

    Window Works in the only retailer in area that sells the Okna 600 & 800 series. The others are Winterseal in Morristown area - way over priced on their products and Keith Window which offered the Polaris and even suggested that I go with the Okna at the quoted price. toddinmn stated above that he doesn't like the Sunrise product/dbl hung - not sure why, never inquired. But Hullco offered the Sunrise Restorations at 12.7k/exterior color & grids. Their project mgr came by my place cause of my concern about install method - they are the only ones in area that use foam insulation around windows BTW. Others don't because of expansion problems they have experienced. I haven't contracted with anyone yet. They all aren't good about follow up, I wondered at times if they were really interested in making a sale.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for the follow up! I hate trying to beg people to take my money! Do they want the job/sale or not? I am going to window world tomorrow to look at the Okna. Your sizes sound exactly like my layout. We are in the process of adding onto our home so that’s what I’m buying initially. Once this project is complete and we tackle the rest of the house, i will be replacing all of the others which are currently 25 years old. We live in a mid70s rancher, all the windows are basically the same size. Without going back thru all of the posts on this thread, i can’t remember if your estimates are including installation, but I’m assuming they are. My salesperson at Keith has been very responsive, i will say. Did you also talk with Sterling at all?
  • 8 years ago

    I'd be guessing but they are more the other spectrum of sales where there is no pressure to buy...none at all. And all estimates included install.

    My approach to searching for windows was to find products that stood out amongst the hundreds that are out there and ones that are available in our market. I pretty much reduced the selection down to a few. A lot of the guys in this industry who comment on posts here are very knowledgeable and have assisted greatly in my search. I have also spent a lot of time on various sites reading reviews that others have posted. Do your homework, it will be to your benefit.

  • 8 years ago
    I have learned more about windows in the past week than i EVER care to know! Lol!! I’ve narrowed it down to 2 choices and am waiting on final estimates, hopefully today. I can’t believe how long it takes just to get estimates back. Thank you for your input, and yes, the guys on these forums have been very helpful!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Good luck. You are at the end of the tunnel.

  • 8 years ago
    • Hi WonW, been meaning to get feedback on your and others opinions on Sunrise Windows and specifically the Restorations line - any thoughts?
  • 8 years ago
    Jim- You and I, Road trip to WonW! :) Lol
  • 8 years ago
    Not to add another brand of windows to this thread, but i wanted to keep my posts together for simplicity. I’m shopping windows (narrowed down to Polaris Ultraweld and Okna 800 and 600) as well as 2 sliding patio doors (narrowed down to Okna Elegante and ProVia Endure). I’ve received my quote on the Ultraweld windows, still waiting on the Okna quote. I’ve received 2 quotes on the ProVia Endure slider from 2 sources. These quotes are based on purchasing the door only, no installation as my contractor will be doing the install. So basically, they’re apples to apples in comparison. There is a $2000 difference in the quotes which obviously makes me lean towards the cheaper of the two. That supplier doesn’t carry Polaris or Okna so I’m now tempted to shop the ProVia line of windows. If i did, which line of ProVia would best compare to the Ultraweld and Okna 600 or 800? And is this a product you would recommend?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I’d price the Polaris Thermalweld Plus, I prefer it the Ultraweld myself, its built on the same platform as the Pro-Vias Endure.

  • 8 years ago
    Toddinmn- The Polaris dealer in town didn’t offer the plus. Just the TW and the UW. That dealer is also $2000 more on the ProVia doors than the other. That’s why I was adding ProVia windows into the lineup. I just don’t know which line of ProVia is comparable to those I’m already shopping. I figure if he can sell the doors for that much cheaper than the Polaris, then the markup they have must be pretty substantial and worth entertaining other lines of comparable quality and cosmetics.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The Thermaweld is now the Dynaweld which is there entry Level window now. The Thermalweld Plus is completely new window that replaces the Thermalweld as there mid level window,

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    To the question that was asked previously by @Jim Lewis , the Restorations is a very solidly built window. Happy to have you if you want to road trip it down here.

  • 8 years ago

    Restorations seems it has all the right components to make it a good choice and the exterior color has a 20 yr warranty compared to the 10 yr on Okna which was my first choice and came in a little over 2k less. But the Sunrise dealer is offering 48 mths no interest which is very appealing.

    And BTW, thx for the invite but all my free time is being spent remodeling my home along the Holston River, east of Knoxville.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I’d take the Okna hands down.

  • 8 years ago

    So toddinmn, respectfully, why not the Sunrise? What specifically do you not like about their Restorations line? Is it just their dbl hung product or entire company/product?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    double hungs and Sliders, I have not used Or serviced any of there other products. I think the under engineered and often overpriced. There performance numbers ok, but I have my doubts about there air infiltration numbers.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I'd have to agree that Okna 600 dh for $2k less is a slam dunk assuming installation and service are equal. The Restorations are nice, but I wouldn't choose an inferior window due to a better paint finish warranty and at a higher price. The paint coatings are very similar and the actual scratch and fade resistance will be nearly identical. I've found them to be extremely durable regardless of manufacturer. I can't say that I've processed a single warranty claim on it in thousands of windows installed over the last decade plus... Knocking on wood

  • 4 years ago

    I must be the first one to say that I hate my Okna windows. They put them in a double wide mobile home. They are double hung and they are heavy. When I go to pull down the top and tilt it in, they always go crooked no matter how careful I am and they jump the track and I can't get them back in. One, something busted that had to be fixed trying to get it back in. I don't know how many times I had to call the window company to come and put them back in. We got these to be easier to clean so my husband who is 74, wouldn't have to get on a ladder to clean the outside. It isn't worth it, so now they will be cleaned again from the outside and I guess I will be the one to get on the ladder as he has a lot of health problems. I paid over $13,000 for these to have it easier, not harder. One thing is that the strings on the sides seem too thin for the heavy windows. I had a contractor here and told him about it and he looked and said it is ridiculous. Thought It was me being a woman, even though I followed the instuctions from the company, but it started to go crooked for him too. Never again!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Seems odd and unusual. Something seems wrong . Typically these problems occur when someone takes them and does not put them in correctly. This will also result in broken parts at time. If they are not operating easily there is something wrong. The strings are very strong and are rarely a point of failure, your contractor is just not that familiar with windows. The top is typically a little harder to pull down, I recommend to owners to just tilt them in vs removing the sashes. Tilt the lower in rest against the sill then lower the upper tilt in and clean it , put back then clean the lower.

    Larger windows can be a little trickier dues to size and weight .

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Please don't take offense Robin, but what you are describing is almost entirely indicative of user error. Especially the section about something breaking after being forced. This is undoubtedly the result of two things:

    1. Not raising the window high enough prior to tilting the window in and...
    2. Lifting the window out of the balance shoe in the process of putting the window back in and effectively NOT disengaging the clutch mechanism (i.e. the hard to move part).

    I am sorry that you are having a hard time with these window. If you'd like to call me and I could FaceTime or Zoom with you to show you how to work the windows and to assess any damage that may be preventing the proper operation.


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    A mobile home ? Anyway, this is a situation where you are NOT operating the window properly and has absolutely nothing to do with the window itself. Whether its soft lite, okna, sunrise or xyz window, you will encounter the same exact problems unless you operate your new windows properly. User error is not a window issue.

    Windows on Washington has hit the nail on the head. I would heed his advice.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I saw the Okna 600 along with a few other companies and decided to go with Okna 600. I am paying $8100 for 10 replacement windows in all white. I feel we received very good pricing for what seems to be an excellent window.

    I posted another post with more info. There has been a lot of price increases in the past 2 years according to all the companies I talked with because of all the inflation.

    i will provide an update after install.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Remodeling Company in New Albany, Ohio