Software
Houzz Logo Print
mlcolblue

Help with kitchen decorating..

9 years ago

This is a picture from when we 1st remodeled. Looking for some suggestions on brightening up the space...I don't want to paint the cabinets or change granite. I have added woven window treatments since this picture and hav


e wooden bar chairs at island.

Comments (32)

  • 9 years ago

    I'd remove the 4" dark backsplash all the way around and put in some light tile to add some reflectance and light. Consider replacing the wood stools with something lighter or colored, or recovering the seat cushions, if there are any.

    Otherwise, colorful rug in front of the sink? Light/colorful accents here and there? Double the number of recessed lights, add under-cabinet lighting if you don't already have it. Maybe replace the black dishwasher with a stainless one to remove one more dark hole...

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    In addition, I would replace the pendants for ones with larger profile and more light.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Something open like this would provide more interest, reflective qualities and triple the light. Do change wood stools or paint them maybe bright green or yellow. Small changes can make big difference.
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, that is one big spot of brown you have there.

    Whilst the cabinets and the floor are very nice by itself, they don't match well, but drown each other out. Since you don't want to change the cabinets, what's left is to change the floor.

    Yes, of course you can add all kinds of colorful things in warm tones and I would suggest some plants too, to make it less sterile. But it will stay way too blend-in brown in my opinion.

    So I would find the nicest vinyl in a different style like tiles (NOT wood) and in a warm tone. Just for the kitchen. And I do realise that the flooring is probably around the ground floor. But it just doesn't work here. So let it be layed on top of it, in such a way that it doesn't harm the flooring underneath if ever someone decides to put different cabinets there.

    How about such a pattern of tiles:


    Hilltop villa · More Info

    On the next picture you can see how good it looks if a wooden floor is next to a floor of tiles. Those tiles also bring color into the kitchen.


    Путешествие в Индокитай · More Info

    You could even go for a more outdoors look, but in a warmer and brighter tone than this picture that I found:


    Colorful Traditional Home · More Info

    Now, I do realize I found pictures of actual tiles, but it gives you some ideas.

    Have fun!

    mlcolblue thanked Maria Privat
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Are you opposed to changing the hardware on cabinets. How about wallpaper as there are some great looking wallpapers today to update and transform a space, Lighting will do wonders as well. Lovely kitchen and nice too see the bones without all the clutter in a space.

    mlcolblue thanked Jodie White Designs
  • 9 years ago
    Great ideas so far. How about adding a few glass doors to your cabinets, with lighting inside. Backsplash and under cabinet lighting. You could also try LED tape lights above your cabinets for a subtle glow -- just something to try... I don't know whether it will really look great since your cabinets are tall and approach the ceiling. Add some runners to break up all the wood you have. Good luck!
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! I did add under cabinet lighting a month or so ago, which helped. I have toyed with making a cabinet or 2 glass front. Perhaps I'll get pricing on that.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    A few glass fronted cabinets would be nice. Trick is picking right ones.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Maybe the ones either side of sink? Or the two above dishwasher? If you light them, you need glass shelves or wood shelves just block light.
    mlcolblue thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    I had a local cabinetmaker router out the panel of a cabinet door and then took the door to a glass place that installed the glass. This was an older small cabinet I was redoing for a bathroom, not a kitchen cabinet, but the cost was between $40 - 50 total. Prices may vary in different parts of the country, but that is how I did it.

    I think you may want to add some art and a few other accessories that express your personality. There is a present trend towards minimalism, but I do like a kitchen to have a little personality:)

    mlcolblue thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    Your kitchen is beautiful. I am so glad that you did not succumb to the gray/white frenzy! I think that colorful runners and simple curtains would be perfect. I know that you added woven blinds.....but not sure how they will brighten things up.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! Any thoughts on places to look for runners? I see lots of area rugs I like but not as many runners. I do like the warmer tones - so - gray/white, while pretty is not me. It is a frenzy - hard to find any kitchens that don't have white cabinets right now!


  • 9 years ago
    Are you saying it feels dark in the kitchen or that you want to add some bright color?....the most obvious solution would be to add more lighting...directional ceiling cans that can be directed to the cabinets and appliances...more/ larger lighting over the island....under base cabinet lighting...sconces where needed ...but if all possible adding windows will be the most uplifting...I have seen cases where painting the ceiling in a pale sky blue make a room feel brighter as well painting the walls a pale sunshine yellow bring life to a room... as to runners... I love them in kitchens but they perform best if you get a fairly heavy high quality wool runner in a darker color so that cleaning is not a weekly ordeal...this will not work toward your goal of brightening up...
    mlcolblue thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Changing out hardware, updating lighting over bar and rug for texture visual. Can you put updated photo since you put blinds up and added bar stools. Need measurement of space where runner is going and island bar measurement for decision on pendants of individual or linear.

    mlcolblue thanked Jodie White Designs
  • 9 years ago

    What a gorgeous kitchen! I think you just need to personalize it. As others have mentioned, rugs, window treatments, perhaps more interesting pendants will liven up the space. Don't forget the basics like dishtowels, pot holders, trivets, etc. I can see a large, beautiful, ceramic bowl full of seasonal fruit on the island. And you'll never go wrong with a bouquet of flowers. How about a small plant or two by the window? Or some collectible pottery? Shop your house, add a few things that you love, that reflect who you are. Then show us the results!

    mlcolblue thanked einportlandor
  • 9 years ago
    Perhaps a more recent pic of how the kitchen looks now will help...this blank portrayal is misleading as to what your kitchen may look now...it looks like you were not even living there at this point...
    mlcolblue thanked btydrvn
  • 9 years ago
    How about this for a runner
    mlcolblue thanked Harper
  • 9 years ago

    This is nice is it available on line?


  • 9 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I am seeing accents of red or cranberry to brighten countertops/decor .
    mlcolblue thanked Stacey
  • 9 years ago

    A runner will make such a difference. Is there a color you lean toward?

    Also, coordinating pads/cushions on the stools will break up some of the wood, too, which I love, by the way.

    Getting your decor out and on the counter and island will make such a difference. That will also help you probably pick a color for the rug/cushions as they are probably your favorite color. Then add some greenery....real or faux. Some herbs maybe?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Still now word of colors and sizes? I like this rug for brightening the kitchen and works well with your cabinets, floor and counter-tops.


  • 9 years ago
    Jodie ...love that green rug...do you have the resource?...
  • 9 years ago
    Also the gold cut-out pendant light?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you like that green rug, consider a similar green glass subway tile backsplash! That would be a bright affect for your beautiful kitchen.

    4"x8" Ocean Glass Subway Tile Aqua Frosted · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    remove backsplash, do some glass listello or subway tile. You can add some color with a rug and accesories on tops

  • 9 years ago

    Here's an indoor-outdoor runner in a great pattern. You could do the glass tile border in the blue-green from the rug. Overstock.com, Ballard designs all have interesting indoor-outdoor runners.

    Indoor/Outdoor Ofelia Area Rug, Multi, Hallway Runner 2'6"x8' · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Rug resource is Surya- I found on Amazon- surprisingly which I normally go direct to Surya but it is to the trade only What a deal on this to. l

    Surya Mystique M-317 Transitional Hand Loomed 100% Wool Moss 2'6" x 8' Runner

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Worlds Away for lighting actually on Houzz and it is silver finish not gold

    Worlds Away Nova Greek Key Silver Leaf Pendant Lamp · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Jodie...thanx for the resources...hate to admit this but I am really just now graduating to ordering on the internet...I am so tactile it is a hurdle to buying things I can't touch first...add that to liking old things better than new ...I am still a novice at this
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Removing the 4" backsplash and adding a lighter color backsplash (maybe white or the lightest color in your coutertop) will help. Along with under cabinet lighting.

    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    mlcolblue the aqua runner is from Wayfair.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH