Software
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Cote D'Or Openibg In Virginia Beach, Virginia!!

Opened first day... 5/2017


next day bloom..

Enjoy your day!!


Laura

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago

    Another beauty

    Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked cc (Space Coast FL 9 )
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, CC and Rox!! I'm really excited with this first time bloomer for me!!

    Laura

  • 9 years ago

    Wow love the color

  • 9 years ago

    Stunning!

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Laura, great photo! I actually just picked one of these up at a Tampa Lowes and was doing a quick search to see if anyone had any real world photos and of course I found your timely post :)

    It struck me as a little unusual so I decided to buy a little 4 tipper. Looks like two tips just bloomed themselves out so I'll probably have to wait a while.

    One bit of info (the hang tag) says it is a robust grower, but their web site says slow grower. So, I'm hoping for a robust, yet slow grower. Here in FL they all want to grow so dang fast... leads to lots of leggy plumeria...

    Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked irun5k
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Richard and Robert!! Thanks for the kind comments!!

    Hi Brian!! Always nice to hear from you!!

    Im sure this beauty will do well with your heat and humidity down in Tampa so it will have some of the same colorations that you see in mine. I think it's one of those trees that is overlooked at times but it certainly gives me a smile when I see those blooms open. As far as growth habit, mine is not a fast grower and I'm so glad to see it's not lanky as well. This is the second season for me and it's a nicely shaped tree that looks like it would be classified as a slow grower. Makes you wonder when you see it label robust but label slow.. lol!!

    I hope you are having a great summer and seeing lots of beautiful blooms!!!

    Take good care!!


    Laura

  • 9 years ago

    Laura,

    You are still one of the greenest thumbs on the planet. Have been gone quite some time as I was tied up with another new business venture.

    I got four inflos on the cuttings from Key West last year and every last "flower" fell off before it ever opened. Have three new inflos on my first yellow (NOID) purchased in Hawaii five years ago and I'm concerned the same thing is about to happen so I watered the heck out of it this evening. If the stems are dropping off the plant, is that a sign of thirst?

    Best, and nice to be back looking at all of the wonderful photos from everyone on the forum.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi Mike!!

    Its wonderful to see you here !! I hope you are doing well and that your new business venture is a success!!

    We have been having a lot of heat here in the Mid Atlantic region and your trees do need that water!! Don't be afraid to water especially if you have a fast draining mix. Sometimes the mix gets so dry that you have to water again to make sure it's finally able to hold that needed moisture! ( but not sitting in water)

    I'm sorry to hear of your bud loss on your other cuttings last year. Sometimes they do this due to the variety and or it might be in to much direct sunlight. Some varieties are finicky when it comes to bud drop, so just make sure it's watered well and drys out before you water again. Try and keep it in a mostly sunny area but not in this awful direct sun/heat If you can. I have had to move a few out of the late direct afternoon sun. It's just to hot for them with the heat indices in the triple digits.

    Im sure your Noid yellow will do well for you and I can't wait to see pictures of your new beauty!!

    Always a pleasure and thank you for the kind comments!!

    Laura

  • 9 years ago

    Laura,


    Thank you so much for the response. Really struggling here. Attached are some photos that show like a white "fuzz" on the inflos and also what appears to be a bug on the underside of one of the leaves. Seems the same thing is happening with the inflo appearing dry and the potential flowers just falling off. Would hate to buy some generic bug spray...any ideas for you experts? Best, as always.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Mike!!!

    Looks like Mealy bug under the leaf to me. I would take a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol and wipe it away. Discard in the trash.. If you have more of an infestation, I would use Bayer 3 in 1 insect spray to keep them in check. Make sure you use in the shade or on a cloudy day. If you only have this one patch, just use the Q-tip method. That will take care of webbed nest of Mealy bugs..

    i see that you noticed this white sap during or after a rain storm?? I have seen this too and it seems to happen during a strong shower.. wait to see if it clears up after the rain stops and the tree drys out. It's kind of a reaction to the blooms due to the strong rain and you see some latex being released. It's like it's being hit and it's feeling the effects and it's just bleeding a little.. it should be fine after it drys and the sun dries up the moisture.

    Hope all is well with you!!

    Take good care!

    Laura

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, thank you. I had some Bayer Insecticidal Soap that I used to spray all five plants. They are pretty much out of the sun from about 7:30 PM until about 11:00 AM in the morning. The Insecticidal Soap says it kills mealy bugs, aphids, and a number of other pests. Sprayed the underside as well as the tops of the leaves and saw all sorts of things leaping for their lives.

    Keep your fingers crossed and best.

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, have two more inflos on other plants now. I actually increased the watering and it looks like everything has a more healthy look and the chutes on the other inflos seem to have stopped dropping off. Also stopped the bloom booster about four weeks ago as well. They are starting to look much, much, better.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Mike..


    Sounds like you have a good plan in place for your trees.. I also have been watering a lot with these high temps and the trees are loving this along with the humidity we both are seeing here on the East Coast. It's like living in Thailand !! Hahaha.

    I don't like to use those bloom boosters either and only tried them many many years ago u til I learned more about the proper balance of what is used by the trees and why it's better to have a balanced NPK or close to a 3:1:2 ratio.

    I am also seeing many beautiful blooms and I have been working on potting up over 50 little one gallon trees. It seems that it never ends, but you know I love seeing the rewards..

    thanks for the update..

    here are a few pictures that I hope you enjoy!!

    Take good care,

    laura

    Fuji Mist

    Chompoo Orathai

    Kapalua

    Raspberry Sundae

    JL Dane

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, as I said a few years ago when you were hand pollinating things, you are the absolute bees knees. I have so much of a problem getting these plants to not blow or fall over from being so top heavy. Broken branches...but new cuttings.


    Anyway, many, many, many thanks for your watering advice. Still a bit of a novice at this and afraid to over water, but I think your as usual expert advice has probably saved the day. May finally see the first flower from my Key West cuttings from five years ago from a lovely Lady that gave them to me. Looks like my very first plant from Hawaii that was dropping blooms is getting a bit happier, and my King K is waiting to jump out. Thank you.

  • 9 years ago

    Your trees are looking so healthy, Mike!!

    Continue to water when needed and don't be afraid to give them water during this hot/ humid summer! You have a good fast draining mix and as long as your trees are not sitting in water and you let them dry out a little between watering, you are fine!!

    The top heavy trees are always an issue and I like to tie my trees to the fence or deck railing. If you don't have anything to tie them too, you can go to the big box store and buy some rebar. They come in 4 foot sections or Six / eight whatever size that will be appropriate so you can pound them into the ground next to your container and then secure. This will take care of them toppling over unless we have a huge Gail, northeaster or hurricane. If that's the case, I water the containers and Lay them on their side so they don't get battered by the elements!! Once he storms pass, then I will straighten them and secure them.


    Congtatulations on your blooms!!


    Laura

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, beautiful blooms. I ache for the day I have my first bloom. It will be momentous. Wow, so glad I found this forum. I am obsessed with growing plumerias. Just a newbie but reading and watching tons of videos to learn. Looking forward to learning a lot here.


    Andre

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, would you have any interest in trading some cuttings? Looking to diversify my plants. You have different varieties from me and hopefully I do from yours. Any interest?

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Andre!

    Welcome to the group!!

    it is very special to finally see your first bloom and feel the excitement of growing this in your own garden!

    Be careful of some of those videos on utube from certain " specialist!!" Some of those do not give the correct information and might steer you in the wrong direction! Just an FYI for you being new. If you need any advise.. the regulars here are very knowledgeable and we all don't mind answering questions!

    Again, welcome!!

    Hi Brennan...

    i usually don't trade or take cuttings unless there is a specific reason to cut, but I do like to help or give out when I have some from breaks or storms knocking them over.

    Thank you for you interest in my collection. I do have quite a few varieties and I do have a few that are rooting now ( cuttings) Once they have rooted, I'll post here for you and I'll give you one that you don't have in your collection. Many years ago I would cut just to share with friends and I wasn't watching how the overall shape of the tree would be. Now, I'm more sensitive about cutting and trying to have a better balanced/ shaped tree.

    Have a great day!!

    Laura


  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, Laura!

  • 9 years ago

    Laura, Thank you for the welcome. I think I mislead you all :). I do not have plant ready to bloom but wishing for that day. If I am successful possibly next season. I will definitely ask for tips here as I love the vibe here with a lot of sharing even seeds from in your case. Wow! Awesome! If there is a newbie test to be completed, please let me know so I can complete requirements :). I too looking to add to my 3 cuttings just planted and a rooted plant my sister gave me all the way from TX. I do not have big enough plumeria yet but I have lots of worm castings. So I can trade worm castings for cuttings/seeds :). Can't wait to see more bloom photos from everyone. Here are my cuttings and rooted plant.

Sponsored