Software
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_russell10

Exterior update

Looking to update the exterior of our new home. Besides landscaping what would you suggest doing? I find it so drab and outdated.

Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago

    Funny, I think your house is really pretty and classic. I would consider removing the shutters on at least the big window on the bottom right. Additionally, the bush in front of that window is not particularly lovely. You might consider updating landscaping.

  • 9 years ago

    Smit's right. Also, some judicious pruning of the trees would let a bit more light in.

    The tree on the left looks like it's too close to the house, and that low crotch and leaning trunk are an accident waiting to happen. Could be rotting in the crotch. Be proactive and get that out of there.

  • 9 years ago

    Paint the front door a nice bright color and put pots of annuals on the stoop. I'd wait a bit to do more and live with it for a while. Looks like the lawn needs some attention. Lovely home!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Simple adds like colorful furniture t compliment a brighter door to start. A stronger expression on the walk leading eye to door, perhaps with a unique planting aligned with door.
    If your region allows, remove the storm door to allow the new door color to read stronger. Maybe a nice pole lantern with a hanging basket.

    Making the walrus first floor window unique to other windows by removing bush and shutters will really highlight that portion of the house.
  • 9 years ago

    Agree with other posters - remove/trim that bush so you can see the bottom of the window trim. I think the black and white is fine - just needs some color pops! Add some pots of colorful flowers. How about these fun bistro chairs (find a matching table)?


    LeisureMod Devon Modern Indoor Outdoor Aluminum Dining Armchair Red Set of 2 · More Info

    It's hard to tell, but is that a bench off to the left on the porch? Add a fun cushion and pillows and get a small outdoor cart (like a bar cart) where you can put some plants and tray with a pitcher and cups.

  • 9 years ago
    That is a front porch swing to the left. It's currently painted green but plan to paint black or red if we get a red door. All the shrubs to the right and under that window are going to be pulled. A few of you suggested taking the shutters off the lower right window. Will that look odd if there are shutters everywhere else? I was also thinking about a flower box on the top right window bc there is so much space. Thoughts?
  • 9 years ago
    Tall planters w evergreen in the center and surround with bright annuals. I would also add a larger light. Pretty home.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I can't tell if the siding is white or cream? I would paint it bright white. I also notice the garage is gray? I would paint that white as well it would expand the look of the home. By removing the shutters from that wide front window, it will give the window more presence and it is a lovely window. Might use some power washing too. Of course, landscaping improvements and I would definitely remove that double trunk tree on the left corner of the porch. This home just needs some tweaks as mentioned and you have a lovely home! Best to you!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Big improvement! You will need to power wash the brick of course, and once those overgrown shrubs are pulled it will open up your home.

  • 9 years ago

    The house isn't "outdated ", the landscaping is. I'd improve that.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    After shrubs get addressed, find three colorful pots in your favorite accent color. One tall ( +/- 30" to 42") and one medium ( +/- 24") to the right of porch to balance the double columns left of stairs, and one medium height ( +/- 24" match the right side medium for a stronger symmetrical reference) to anchor the column pair on the left. the mediums should allow the plantings to crest over the base of the columns to become one visually from the photo view you shared. Large pot might be on earth to find this balance and should overlap or be back dropped by the brick. them the medium will be placed on angle toward the stairs for composition nd mirrored to the pair of columns. The point is getting the eye to flow from window, along walk from drive, to the stairs and door and then make the period of this sequence the steps.

    Plant COLOR in the pots to brighten the shady front porch. and bright is good for this reason. You can always balance it with some white to anchor the color if needed. add a wispiness to the plantings to break the architectural lines and soften the entry. A taller fern, shade tolerant grass, etc. this could be a perennial depending on your region so next year you're only buying a few annuals and filling in voids. Some ferns stay green and lush all year, read labels to maintain winter interest.

    Add a complimentary shade of the favorite color to the porch swing in pillows or paint the whole swing, also brighten the door to coordinate with the color infusion.

    opinion on flower box on upper level, don't. You want the focus to be the entry, adding visual weight and color above will distract from that. If you want a planter box, consider an oblong one on legs as a "rail" on the porch. perhaps a 24 to 30" long and +/- 24" high so you can see over plants while seated and through window. One justified to each set of double columns on the porch to left of stairs. White, wicker look or equal lighter looking material/detail on the boxes will appear more like architecture versus added accessory. Upstairs window boxes are great if watered and cred for, and difficult to water and care for. Put the effort where you can enjoy them from the swing and first floor rooms and care for them with ease.

  • 9 years ago

    I think I'd take the shutters off that top window in the middle, too, where one of them actually leans against the wall at an angle! :)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    We agree with @sm m Planted containers add interest and elegance to the front door area and along the porch. Easy way to "make an entrance" :) Eye of the Day

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Colorful Pots · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Porch · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Banyon Tree Design Portfolio · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I'd remove all the shutters, paint the storm door and swing a lighter color, maybe robins egg blue or light sage green.



  • 9 years ago
    We've been hard at work. Still planning on a new colored door and will update the porch swing to match. Also need to power wash house and get multch. We'll do potted plants eventually. It still feels drab to me. And I hate the flashing between the brick and foundation and how much it shows. I included some close ups so you could see what I'm talking about. Anyway to disguise it?
  • 9 years ago

    You could paint the flashing to blend with the brick. And, while you're at it, paint the concrete foundation. Then plant a thick-ish ground cover, like pachysandra that will grow 4-6" tall and it will cover almost all of it. By next year, you won't notice it.

  • 9 years ago
    The updated shrubs look great! You have given me some courage to rip out my old boxwoods! I would love to see a bright yellow or blue on swing and door. Keep posting updates. Your house is lovely!
  • 9 years ago
    We are going to have a new front door put in with 1/2 glass to let light in. We are thinking a robins egg blue as someone previously suggested. Two questions. Would you put on a new screen door or just remove it? Would you paint the frame white? It's currently black. I worry about white being too different from my siding color and front porch posts.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would do white trim around the front door and keep door white as well. It is kind of hidden and white catches the eye first. I don't see blue on your front door working real well.

  • 9 years ago
    Flo - you don't think the white is just going to clash with my columns and siding? There is no way I'd match whites. I thought a little color would be nice.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would take out that porch swing that is off to the side. It doesn't do much for the design and is pointed at a wall so there is no view anyways. I would add in some comfortable outdoors rocking chairs and small sofas, things like that. Add some bright pillows to lighten the space up and some bright colored potted plants. As well as remove all the existing bushes from the garden and replace them with some vibrant colored ones. I would also suggest hanging some potted plants as well as lining the pathway with larger scaled rocks on the sides of the concrete and around the garden. Also lining those paths with small lights may help brighten it up at night. Maybe making the window shutters and such a lighter color. As well as hanging small things like more lights on the walls or something like a clock or outdoor sign of some sorts. If you wanna update anything like landscapes or hardscapes or building something to add in. If you live in Georgia we would love to draw up a design plan for you. As a bonus if you email clint@sugarhilloutdoors saying you are from houzz and madeline sent you we will do the consultaion for free.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Let us know if we helped!?! we love being able to transform your yard into your dream yard!!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would make all trim same white. That would be consistent and the porch swing too which is very sweet.