Software
Houzz Logo Print
brisaidso

Awkward Sad Bedroom HELP

9 years ago
Hi! My husband and I just bought our first home together. I want our bedroom to be a place we WANT to be in, but currently, that is not the case. the layout with the closet and windows makes decorating and layout overwhelming to me. We have two small windows and have to have space for our dog's crate (also open to more aesthetically pleasing ideas on that as well). We have a king sized bed and prefer the minimalist mid century Scandinavian look. I tried to take pictures from all 4 corners of my pretty boxy room.

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago

    Start to look at mid century dressers with a less heavier look.





  • 9 years ago

    There's nothing wrong with boxy -- it avoids awkward spaces. Do you like the colors? Your bed is the focus, here. IMHO, it needs a head board. Other than that, get a great duvet cover, matching pillows and a throw. Make them great.

    You appear to have a roll-down shade, meaning you could your drapes aren't necessary. I'd change them to something satin and fabulous.


    Upper West Side Condo · More Info


    252 7th Avenue · More Info

    Custom Bed and Bench · More Info

    Cypress Cove Estate · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would recommend a light grey on the walls. Can't tell if that is grey or light blue on the walls right now. I would then bring in a dresser that is the mid-century style. (like below) Since there is a window on the wall where you place your bed I would recommend on that wall having a wall of curtains, like the picture below. I would have them in a light color such as cream or white. That way you can have them open sometimes and shut them all the way if you would like. Because it is a small room, I would recommend light bedding, either white or cream. Then bring in accents of yellow or even green for pillows and accessories around the room. Also, bringing in grey accents in the blankets or pillows on the bed.

  • 9 years ago
    I was looking for crate tables today. I have to have mine in the dining room.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Would your dresser fit on the wall where the doggie cage is? If so, it would open the feeling of the room up a lot. Then could the doggie cage be in another room? I don't mean to offend, but I see you have a cover over the cage, so not sure why it has to be in the bedroom? Also, it seems really large for the size of your dog? If those are untouchable thoughts, forgive me. Just trying to make a small space work better for you. You could get a wider woven roman shade for your window and create a faux headboard by getting it long enough that it comes down behind your pillows. Then get a couple more pillows to stand up behind your bed pillows and create a nice cozy look. Night stands in the mid-century look would help the overall look as well.

    Flynn Mid Century Modern 2 Drawer Nightstand, Acorn · More Info
    Compact night stand with MCM styling. Night stands should be the height of your mattress for easy use. The ones you have look a little high? But keep that height in mind.

  • 9 years ago

    Please do not mix brown and black - chose one or the other - to distracting together. Ceiling lights in the bedroom (and living room for that matter) do absolutely no favors to humans. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You can also use plug in sconces so you maintain space on night stand surfaces.

    Metal Industrial Adjustable Wall Sconce, Black · More Info
    Something like this.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would look for a different crate for your furry friend. One that could double as a night stand or that could fit in a corner. Etsy has several different styles. Someone must realize the need!!!

    Start checking out Craigslist in your area for mid century furniture. Thrift stores. Love this type of lamp for you. Headboard, nightstands, dresser or chest of drawers. I think your wall color is fine.

    The drapes are too dark but I think your windows are fairly small and need something to appear larger, A wider curtain rod and simple ivory panels that extend beyond the window onto the wall. Can't tell what your blinds are like.

    If you like minimal I'd go w/ a solid-light duvet. Have some fun w/ a few pillows.

    Chelsea Creek Apartment · More Info

    I like you your B & W camera art and will reuse them somewhere but would like to see a good sized piece of art on the wall across from your bed. That's up to you. What do you like?



    Black And White E Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, White, Black, 72"x72" · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    These would be handy, white one from zulilly. This is where mine like to sleep hmmmmm
  • 9 years ago
    Your bed, being a king in a small room, will dominate the room regardless of how you decorate. Will it fit on the solid wall where you currently have the dog crate? Usually, you want the bed to face the opening into the room but, in this case, I think I'd try it on that wall. If not, it definitely needs a headboard centered on that window. Get the bed placed and furnished before buying anything else for the room. I'd move the dog crate out and let him sleep with you; there's nothing better than snuggling with a doggy! Good luck!
  • 9 years ago
    Irene, thank you for posting the images of that crate cover. I saw that example, but didn't understand how it worked!
  • 9 years ago

    I think Flo has a great idea for mounting a roman shade the full width of your bed to act as a headboad. You could then add panels to either side. This crate actually has a midcentury type look to it and you could even add short legs to it to give it even more of that style. I'm sure you could paint it as well. If you were to use it as a nightstand, you could turn the latch side toward the side wall so it wasn't so obvious. Add a second nightstand in a coordinating style.

    Your white duvet is a good starting point for a Scandinavian look. Add white sheets and clean lined white pillow shams. Stack the pillows and shams as opposed to propping them up. I would find a pretty off white color for your walls and add drapes in the same color. Then add a midcentury style dresser in a medium wood tone. If you need to keep a ceiling fan (I know I couldn't live without mine) find a more modern lower profile fan and use table lamps and one on your dresser for lighting. Something like this in white will blend into your ceiling.

  • 9 years ago
    What we do for our pets lol
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hang wide drapery panels properly so they make a backdrop with the window that is as wide as the bed. This keeps your bed opposite the door which is supposed to help you have optimal secure and restful sleep. This is a much larger window in a much smaller room than yours, but you get the concept shown here. If you want more softness, matching fabric roman or regular shades underneath can add that.

    252 7th Avenue · More Info