Software
Houzz Logo Print
brittpetro

What tile pattern?

9 years ago
We're putting 12x24 gray tile with grout that blends in our entryway and kitchen. I've always liked a thirds pattern and picture the tiles going horizontally. We like clean lines and a modern look.

Our tile guy suggested doing it vertically because of the narrow section of the entry that leads into the kitchen. And so that the tiles would match the direction of the bricks.

Will vertical tiles look odd, especially next to the kitchen cabinets?

Should I go vertical, horizontal or a pattern to avoid this issue?

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago

    I personally would also prefer horizontal especially once you get into the kitchen. I once put similar tiles in a long skinny bathroom and a horizontal tile layout when looking in from the door made it appear to be more of abnormal shape instead of a long skinny bowling alley effect.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I'd run the tiles the length of the kitchen in thirds.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice!
  • 9 years ago

    Rethink the gray. First, that very gray flooring is very trendy - so more likely to become dated. Second, warm wood tones and cool grays do not bring out the best in each other. The grays were meant to work with the popular white or very dark wood cabinets. You can have a tile with gray, but it should also have some warm tones with it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You and the tile person should do a dry layout out from end to end in opposite directions to determine which layout would visibly look better. No guessing and no problems as you will visually see exactly what ends will look like.

    A little work in the beginning can save a lot of headaches. Sometimes a size of tile simply does not work and a larger or smaller size can make a dramatic difference.

    Don't just pick out a pretty tile pick out a tile thats shape and size works in your room.

  • 9 years ago
    jhmarie yes, we are having the cabinets painted white so the gray will make more sense. Hoping it all works with the brick wall. Thanks for the advice!
  • 9 years ago
    wannabath thanks for the dry run suggestion. Looks like we're sticking with my gut and doing horizontal 1/3 pattern. I will definitely do the practice run though!
  • 9 years ago

    Britt E - I going to mention something that some old-schoolers (or husbands) would balk at doing in the past. fI really think that you should also paint the bricks. I think you'll find that after painting the cabinets, the wall will not look very good.

  • 9 years ago
    Yeh, we have gone back and forth with painting the bricks. We decided to do everything else first and then make the call.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I can see you figured out the orientation of the tile, but I feel compelled to ask if you ruled out a pattern? The image you posted with the two tiles in opposite directions is actually a good pattern for the varied spaces and will further the visual flow from entry into kitchen giving you a more modern feel.

    If you are doing the dry fit test, consider trying the herringbone pattern you created in your photo. More dynamic, more flow, less need to worry about orientation and relating to other elements.