Software
Houzz Logo Print
kshavu

Please help choose window/door style.

9 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of choosing new windows and doors for our little house that we bought last year. I've decided on black windows but deciding on the style and number of grilles in front door and windows. Do they all need to match? This is a mock up I did online. I would have the front door the same as the front window with 6 lites in the door. Other option is I have 4 lites in all windows/doors but is that too farm-housey? I plan on doing something with those stainless poles too and adding a decorative railing around the flat roof.


Thanks in advance!




Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago

    Really, hmmm...well we're definitely replacing the door as our entrance area is too dark. I had my heart set on black windows but will reconsider!


  • 9 years ago

    Another option, maybe black shutters instead of replacing the windows?


  • 9 years ago

    I like your mockup!

    kshavu thanked Sammy
  • 9 years ago
    The windows look fine to me. I would only change the door. The poles definitely need to white and more substantial.
    The inside window dressing needs to be considered, so that when seen from outside it looks the same on all windows.
    kshavu thanked Jan
  • 9 years ago
    I think the black windows look great!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Assuming the windows are vinyl and or can't be painted

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Marvin recently came out with a nice mid-level fiberglass window line. Don't skimp on the installation contractor

    kshavu thanked Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    While I agree that the black Windows look nice I would not change them unless they were needed for energy efficiency.. The black door in your mock-up looks great! Changing the posts will help, too. Then new landscaping will make a huge difference. Cute house!!

    kshavu thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for all the responses. The windows are fine, efficiency wise. We did have a chunk of the exterior concrete window sill break away over the winter and thought while we were at it I'd change the windows too. We love this little house and plan to stay for the long haul now that the kids are almost all out. Any changes we do we want done right with high quality materials.


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Here is a little inspiration with white Windows and black shutters and how about replacing the covered entry with this pergola and cover it with vines and flowers as a way to welcome visitors?...
    Private Residence - Casita and Garage · More Info
    kshavu thanked Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    And I like the shiny black door ! But blue or red or even a French blue or green are also so pretty....
    kshavu thanked Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
  • 9 years ago
    Alt-alt way to make the windows contrast, paint the house ;)
    But no one else said - I don't think all the windows have to match, in terms of panes. Maybe I'm a bad Houzzer, but I can't imagine switching windows that are good just to change the color.
    Definitely get some glass in your door, but will it let enough light in under that entry roof? That's where I'd spend my money.
    kshavu thanked wteam
  • 9 years ago
    As a side note, I painted some of my windows dark brown to match ones I had to replace. You can't tell and I saved some money as they weren't very old. Eventually I may replace them as the new ones are nicer.
    kshavu thanked kcccrn *
  • 9 years ago

    My windows are all vinyl and in the big window the grilles are between the glass, so can't be painted. I think for now I'll just do the door and fix up the entry area posts, etc. and leave the windows for now. Maybe some shutters however the window over the garage I don't think there's room for anything but a very narrow shutter which won't look right I'm sure. I was considering doing the windows because we're planning a reno on the inside that effects the back side of the house with adding windows in the kitchen and a large slider or french door to the back yard. Our window supplier really tried to talk us out of doing a french door even though I had my heart set on that. Not quite convinced but he did show us a nice slider that has that french door look since its wood on the inside and clad outside to stand up to our harsh winter weather.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I will say? I got talked out of French doors on one part of our house so we did sliders. I have regretted it ever since....we didn't think we had quite enough depth to do them but I wish we had just gone for it as it would have worked out fine !
    French would just look lovely with your new house and your new front door with more glass in it
  • 9 years ago

    I like your mock up with the darker windows... I'd do a front door similar, but not quite as traditional. More glass as mentioned above or less panes.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Porter! Love that first front door.

  • 9 years ago

    It would look great with how you did the mock up.......any of them would!

    kshavu thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    Love the light fixtures with Porter's first door, too.