Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snzuckman

Kitchen table

stephani zuckman
6 years ago
Hi! First 3 pics are my kitchen. Last picture is the table we are planning on having delivered this week. It measures 69 by 42 inches and has a marble top. Do you like the table in the space? What type of chairs do you think would work? (I want to stay away from ultra modern chairs, and they need to be kid/family friendly with 3 little boys.). In addition, We are thinking of painting the island a glossy charcoal grey. Thoughts? And Lastly we want to swap out the pendants. Any ideas on what would work for this space? Open to feedback. Thanks.

Comments (28)

• janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    I think the chairs you already have around the similar, smaller table would work with the larger, oval table. Seems like a no brainer to stick with those until after you get the table and then re-visit.

Totally agree about the pendants! Everything else looks incredible. You need something bigger and not yellow.
  • stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank u! We just bought the house- the photo is what the old owners had (from listing). Their table inspired me to get a larger one of a similar style. Are those IKEA chairs? I'd be happy to save some $$$ there!
  • PRO
    Organic Home Staging
    6 years ago

Agree on the chairs that you currently have. I love the idea of painting the island a gray color - I have done something similar with white cabinets and it looks amazing. Lastly the pendants I would do something larger such as these pictures

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    Cute table:) I love the warmth that your wood island brings. Maybe bring some of that same warmth to your dining room with a wishbone chair...
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I second the motion of a graphite painted island.... would be very pretty and some clear glass or silver tone pendant lights in lieu of the yellow pendants.

https://www.build.com/kichler-43996/s1274471

Kichler Avery

The table is nice and I like the shape. However, with little ones I worry if it is in fact real marble that it will get damaged quickly with alkaline foods and the like.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Always love a lantern light over an island as well such as posted above... comes in a polished silver and black as well... I love the polished silver. The light is darlana lantern by visual comforts:

Available in 4 sizes from small pendant up!

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't go for that table. With that top, you'll then have 3 different colors and types of stone tops going on in one space.

• stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What would you suggest?
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Stephani, do you lean toward wanting an oval table or are you not concerned about the shape and just want to like it?

Given the kids, you probably want to get something to stand the test of time and if it's slightly rustic nothing really shows up or other... if you have 3 boys (I do/did now grown) it's a lot of wear and tear. You need to seat 5 so a table that seats 6 will be your best option. Will a 72" rectangle fit?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I'm sorry, I forgot to ask... is this your main eating area or more a place you will eat breakfast and lunch with the kids?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

do you need something a bit smaller. This would seat 6

• stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi porter. We will have a formal dining room but expect we will use this as our primary eating spot.
    72 (when measured out) seemed tight. 69 fit nicely. I thought the oval would be ideal due to the room layout.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

This Cabria table at Crate and Barrel is 60 and has a 18" leaf to extend if needed which is a bonus if you have company and even for company need to angle the table a bit.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Jofran 856-72 Burnt Grey Dining Table

Themine.com

Monarch Specialties I 1080 Metal Dining Table

by Monarch Specialties

Themine.com

Arwen Dining Collection

World Market

• PRO
    Savvy Cabinetry Design Interiors
    6 years ago

It is a great shape- for space and your number... however, are you prepared to dust the base every day? And as asked, if this is a real marble top, you may want to rethink this for wear too.

Another vote for not painting. Live with it and see. Also, these look like newer cabinets and as soon as you paint them you will void any warranty on them.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The World Market table is 59" and you could do chairs vs. a bench I believe... a tad small for the long term if this is your main table, but if it is the size that fits... something like this will seat your family. Round I believe to seat 5 will take up too much space in the area as it appears in the photo.

Round would be very pretty if you center it under the light... is that possible in that area? The kitchen is on the other side and .........

54" round is the smallest you could go with 5 people... This table also comes in a very dark wood and has a leaf so can extend add'l if needed to a semi oval.

Hayneedle.com Hooker Corsica 54" round dining table

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

60" plus one leaf

Dearing Dining Table

by Laurel Foundry

What style table do you prefer....... modern like the one you were considering with marble?

• stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Open to style. The marble table that we found was what both myself and my decorator friend thought would best work with the space.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Lantern style pendants would look great. However, the statement made earlier about the three different surfaces clashing is worrisome. Are you planning on getting a different table now?

Modern Country Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

No to paint the island gray. I actually like the current wood as it goes well w/the flooring while adding some warmth to the cooler decor items.

• jdgail
    6 years ago

I like picking up more wood but would lean toward the table top/table so it's the opposite of the island. Agree with the multiple stone tops. Are you getting the barstools in the picture or will you have to purchase those as well? I would avoid the wishbone rounded chairs for seating 6 and remember, if you are not ordering them together, those chairs have to fit under the table/between the legs..

• stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The barstool aren't mine. I'm not sure what to get for that space either.
    I kinda thought although different materials the white, grey and mixture of white and grey on the marble would complement nicely but maybe not.
    Thank you for your insight.
  • stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Tawna- I am not sure! It is supposed to be Delivered tomorrow and I am second guessing myself.
  • jdgail
    6 years ago

Can you/would you want to offer to buy them from the owner? Many times they can't be used in the next home and $100 or so will solve your problem.

• stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We closed a few weeks ago and the place is now cleared out.
  • acm
    6 years ago
    i like the table for your space. you'll ground it with good chairs. don't get sucked into second-guessing each of the five million decisions you have to make!
  • stephani zuckman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks acm! Appreciate that.