Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

How often do you treat your trees (preemptively) during summer?

My trees do not show any sign of pests as of now. The two that had whiteflies are now under control and I see no trace of them. However, I am concerned that they may be lingering and that one or two treatments before bringing them inside for winter will not be enough. I know we have a ways to go before then, but should I be treating periodically to prevent any future issues?

Comments (29)

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    6 years ago

I spray the new shoots / leaves every 2 weeks if I can / can get to it. I use a mix of H.O. (or Neem), Spinosad, and Bt. I spray in the evening and if the next few days are expected to be over 85F then I delete the HO/Neem (oil)component. If I see scale or aphids, the entire tree gets sprayed. If I see Agentine ants, I investigate and treat appropriately.

I have found over the years that every 3 weeks did not prevent CLM so I switched to every 2 weeks.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

I treat only when I see a problem. I inspect every one of my trees carefully every day.

• orangelime1
    6 years ago

Hi Laura same as Vladimir , I don't use any chemicals I usually just wash them off with the garden hose .

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys! George, I can understand why you treat proactively like that in your area. Brian, I remember you saying you wash yours rather aggressively with the hose and have been doing the same. Vladimir, I inspect mine also but worry I'm missing something. I still have the two from OGW quarantined, but I think I'm going to move them closer to everyone else and may treat them at least once more. We are going to have a few relatively cool days (low 80s) so I may spray them down with a weak neem/HO solution just for my peace of mind. Fighting those whiteflies all winter was annoying and stressful.

6 years ago

Yes, I'm in aggressive fight mode right now as I've got CLM established in the area and ACP quarantine areas surrounding me. I've applied two doses of Imidacloprid so far. The summer flush is just beginning so I've got to keep it up as I do not want to lose all that great new growth to CLM. I know its only a matter of time. . .

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Laura, you have every right to worry about pests, especially since you had an infestation last winter, and especially because you keep them in a dry atmosphere under many warm lights...This time of the year rinsing off with a good hose and beneficial insects to a good job at handling such pests you worry about for my trees...

But I don't worry about spraying my trees down until about August when we start to loose day light and beneficial pests start to prepare for fall. So what I do all summer is spray with Fish Emulsion along with fertilizer once a month then every two weeks towards the end of summer until I bring them inside and have not had any problem with any pest at all all winter unless I forget to treat a plant or two this way...The Fish Emulsion natural smothers any eggs just lying in wait to hatch for fall, cleans the leaves of residue, fertilizes at the same time, and prevents pests from sucking or laying eggs of the leaves. For me it works for mites, white flies, scale, thrips, and mealy bug...So far thank God

Unfortunately it never occurred to me to treat my Hoya plants this way and they were the only plants that got badly infested last winter..I had to throw many out...UGH

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll do that Mike...perhaps even add a little HO. I may give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

6 years ago

Laura, I am comfortable with not treating prophylacticaly because I inspect the trees frequently and thoroughly so that if and when a pest does appear it would not have had much of a chance to multiply and I could "nip it in the bud".

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

You should review the life cycle of the pests of interest. I'd have to look it up myself, but I believe they may have a stage that is in the soil, so inspection won't help. Remember, cycle timing also depends on temperature.

I am also a fan of the water spray, plus I take a white paper towel and occasionally wipe the top and bottom of some moist leaves. Spider mites show up as smears, although you may also see dirt on the leaves. Makes it easy monitor the bottom leaf surface. And yes, I have had spider mites when growing outside. Which reminds me, I need to check my plants, thanks!

Mike, what about the smell from your fish spray? How long till it goes away? I like the idea of smothering the eggs.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hibiscus, inspection has worked very well for me as evidenced by the fact that the infestations that I have had were rare, very small and easily managed.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Hibiscus..I love the smell. I does not bother us New Englanders since the smell can remind us of the seaside....It does go away with hours of spraying and actually does not smell that bad at all...I actually spray everything with it in my yard at the same time.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

I inspect the plants from time to time and if I see any unusual activity or colors, then treat them with neem and soap, I also mist the plants daily or every other day time permitting.

• PacNorWreck
    6 years ago
    I treat with Neem and Agri-Fos quarterly for pests and especially for strengthening the plants ability to fight off root disease.
  • PKG
    6 years ago

Molewacker, what is the "BT" that you add to your spinosad/oil mix?

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    6 years ago

I never see any pests when my trees are outside and only start treating in fall before they come inside. I have only had scale and minor spider mites to contend with thankfully.

6 years ago

I, too do not see pests when my trees are outside and treat before they come in.

I do see slugs, though, that eat the leaves. I think the reason for my slug problem is that the trees are sitting on grass, which grows tall around the pots and the slugs live in the grass and climb up the pots. I just ordered white landscape fabric that I will put my pots on in hopes that that will discourage slugs from climbing up the pots.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had to treat yesterday but only because my new Gold Nugget had a scale on it. I noticed it because I saw some ants. I think I caught it very early and treated thoroughly. I also took the opportunity to treat the two trees from OGW although they seem cured. I wonder how that scale got there...none of my other trees have it...unless it had a very light touch of it when it came from FW, but I've never received an infected tree from them. None of my other trees have it though, and I totally isolated the two from OGW, so I doubt that could be it. Goes to show you to really inspect our trees...the GN has relatively small curled leaves, so it would have been easy to miss.

• PRO
    Greenscape Gardens
    6 years ago

I only spray my trees when they come inside for the fall. When they're outside, the pests have a predator problem lol. When I bring them inside I spray them with hort soap a couple times a week, over a period of 4 - 6 weeks and generally that is enough to get rid of any hitchhikers :)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I saw more scale on that GN. Those of you with recent shipments, check your trees carefully. I just treated it again because it poured last night and it all washed off. I hope this will do it.

• Amanda Tyner
    6 years ago

Laura oh no! Scale creeps me out. I have some black little flies in the 511 on my Meyer. I have been treating it. Ugh bugs. It had to be my Meyer. I swear I'm going to lose my mind if I lose this second Meyer.

6 years ago

They are probably fungus gnats, in which case they will not damage the tree.

• Amanda Tyner
    6 years ago

Isn't it weird to have fungus gnats right now? It's a new pot, fresh 511, and with the days being so hot and dry, you would think it was impossible haha.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Amanda, fungus gnats love new peat moss (in your new mix). I have not seen them when my trees are outside, but perhaps you add a bit more peat? I don't know...?

6 years ago

PKG: the Bt in my spray mix is caterpillar killer, "Bacillus thuningiensis".

From the use description: "Specially formulated combination of insecticidal soap and aromatics. Kills Caterpillars (leaf-feeding). After consuming, caterpillars stop eating and die within a few days. Use in late afternoon or on cloudy days since the BT breaks down in sunlight."

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Amanda, I have opened bags of peat from the big box stores and seen fungus gnats fly out. I would not be surprised if there was lava eggs in some bags like lava eggs of of closet moths in bird seeds and so on.....

• Amanda Tyner
    6 years ago

Mike- Ewwww. I just had to pull more lemons off of it bc it looks like it is struggling a bit. I left one on but I might have to pull it as well if it doesn't get its act together. All of my other trees are thriving and growing incredibly well. I even have a new GN fruitlet! Also have atleast ten calamondin fruitlets. My tiny Meyer baby tree is getting ready to bloom. Haha. It's the tree that thinks it can!

• PRO
    Greenscape Gardens
    6 years ago

Mike - Ya spraying them inside is kind of a pain, but I would like to think it's more effective for all the trouble I go through lol. I bring them straight into the bathroom and put them in the shower so clean up isn't so bad. They get sprayed super frequently for the first couple of weeks so anything that survives the initial hose down can't spread to my other plants. Though if your having such success with just spraying them outside, then I think I will incorporate a couple of outdoor sprays into my routine as well. Preventive measures are definitely important :)

• Emily
    6 years ago

Mike, how do you mix your fish emulsion for spraying? I hope that's not too ridiculous of a question to ask! You gave me a lot of great help this winter (thanks again) and my Meyer has been through spider mites, a repotting with major leaf drop, then fungus gnats BUT I got that under control and I think my first tree is gonna make it :) Amanda I had a fungus gnat nightmare on my hands with fresh 5-1-1 I as well- I ended up crushing mosquito dunks & am going to try mosquito bits in the future.