Software
Houzz Logo Print
meddr101

Update entry way

9 years ago
Desperately needing help updating our entryway. I could really use some suggestions on functionality and how to make it look/feel put together. Need storage functionality because our cat likes to chew on shoestrings or purse strings any string related item. Can anybody help us??? :(

Comments (41)

  • 9 years ago

    Center your storage bench on the carpeted portion of the wall. Consider adding a shelf with cubbies and hooks for additional storage.https://www.houzz.com/products/entryway-wall-mount-coat-rack-w-3-cubbies-in-prvw-vr~14910170

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Vistas!!
    We were thinking about getting a longer seated bench for the space, that's why it is there and off-centered. I think I would like something a bit for formal. I would rather have a beautiful piece of artwork rather ham the shelf and hooks. Was thinking to have the storage in the shape of more a drawer or even just a thin console table.....??
  • 9 years ago

    What....you want to move kitties favorite sleeping spot? Just kidding.... I think if you center the bench on that wall and hang some artwork above it and if you want to, a tallish plant at the end of the bench by the light switches. Very simple but nice.

  • 9 years ago

    Frank Lloyd Wright Tree Of Life Design Doormat · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Add a console and storage ottomans underneath.

    My Houzz: Eclectic Treasures Warm a Dallas Home · More Info

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Just a take on a entry console table... you can do what ever you like in design as I have not seen your interior so can't play off of it. Just a place to take off from if you will... offers a nice narrow entry table of 12" to 14" and the kitty has a basket! You can accessorize any way you like.

    Good luck!

  • 9 years ago

    a simple mirror above oval or round would be very nice!

  • 9 years ago

    instead use more furniture just open the closet and use it like a mudroom

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks dyliane..., but the doors next the front door are actually an office. But that would have been a great idea.
  • 9 years ago

    Do you need seating on the wood floor portion so people can sit and remove shoes before they touch your carpet?

  • 9 years ago
    I think it would've nice to have storage for shoe removal. Our cat likes to chew on shoestrings, so we can't leave them out by the door. But I don't like the idea of people going into the office to put them and pick them up. I'm not sure if seating is a good idea or just a console-like table that they can be Stored in?
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe something like this??
  • 9 years ago

    Center the bench on the wall. Half on and half off the carpet doesn't look right.

    Can you show a picture with the bench centered, please?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you require shoe removal before walking on carpet then just slide the shoes into the coat closet, close door and make sure the cat's not in there.

    Then use a console table with art, lamp, etc. like you show above.

  • 9 years ago
    Here would be the new placement, but those doors lead to an office that I do. It feel comfortable allowing guests to use for their shoes.
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry about that, I do not feel comfortable with guests using.
  • 9 years ago
    How about a narrow hall tree with bench and built in storage
  • 9 years ago

    Didn't know you needed storage for guests shoes, thought it was just your family. There's only so much that you can do, then....since your cat chews strings.

    The console with storage ottomans underneath will allow someone to sit on the other ottoman while taking off their shoes. You can also have a folding chair in your office, that you pull out next to the door so folks can sit and take off their shoes and put them in the storage ottoman.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm confused? Why don't you place a narrow console with baskets and ppl can drop their shoes in to the basket.... if you don't want them on the carpet with shoes you can remove it from beneath the console when guest come and place it on the wood portion for them to use. Why don't you feel comfortable with people using the bench?

  • 9 years ago

    That looks much better centered....is there still a problem?

  • 9 years ago

    Aside from the shoe & shoestring dilemma, something tall on the wall in place of the low bench would add visual height and make it look more like an entryway. Maybe a cabinet with doors on the bottom that open that could be used to temporarily store visitors' shoes.

  • 9 years ago
    Please search narrow hall tree. I think you will like it
  • 9 years ago
    I am on an iPad. Try the Edwin hall tree at wayfair in white
  • 9 years ago

    Gotcha P Banos.... it's a shoe dilemma

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe a nice large basket off to the right of the bench would solve all the problems?

    Then a piece of art above or a large round mirror or other?

    Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    Narrow hall tree... ok, I'll check that out! Thanks for all these great ideas. I am unable to use a basket, our cat will still be able to get to the shoes. Thinking I need to do something that can be closed.
    Wondering if there is enough room to leave the seating there or if we should use more of a narrow console table instead, so it doesn't make the space look too cluttered. Do you all think there is enough room for the seating??
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Guests will slide shoes off and push into the office--not breech the secret office space. This shouldn't be so difficult.

  • 9 years ago

    Entry · More Info
    Windows & Doors · More Info

    Small console with two storage ottomans. Extra seating + shoe storage.



  • 9 years ago
    So I found this, narrow table with shelves that looks like would be a great option. What do you all think? It only comes out 17 inches, its narrower than the bench that's in the picture. And I can still display a beautiful piece of art above????
  • 9 years ago
    After talking with my husband and taking a serious look at the functionality, we decided to go with storage ottomans. I was thinking about using 3 small ones, putting them together to create a long bench here. Plus it will offer as additional seating since they can be pulled apart.
    We were looking at some online and I came across some that had a cowhide print and some that had nail head designs.
    Would it be terrible to get 3 of the same square ottoman, 2 with neutral color and one with the cowhide print???
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe something like these?
  • 9 years ago

    I would still put the ottomans underneath a console, otherwise it will just look like 2 cubes that you need to move somewhere else.

  • 9 years ago

    If you don't want to spend on a console, hang a long narrow shelf above. It will make sense out of the ottomans (and give you a drop zone near the door).

  • 9 years ago

    ps. I'd pick the nailhead one over the cow...think we're all going to get tired of hide. But nailheads have always looked good.

  • 9 years ago
    True, the reason I am hesitant about have a shelf or console, is the half wall across and then there is another shelf I. The same room across from the dinning room table. Would it look odd to have so many "shelf" areas,
  • 9 years ago

    We can't see ay shelves in your photos.

    But I think one would work well with the ottomans.

  • 9 years ago

    What shelves? I am liking the cow - more interesting.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Console table for suggestions:


    Rustic console table · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Some ideas, love the zebra rug, would look great at the door