Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebscrap

Just can't get that feeling

rebecca
6 years ago
I have asked the advice column previously about my living room and have painstakingly removed a lot of 'treasures' from what was once a very cluttered room. (Taking a bow...lol!) Now, however, I want to have my living room 'flow' from my hallway. They seem to have two very different feelings. My hallway is Edgecomb Gray (recently painted so it has to stay that way or my husband would kill me). But presently, my living room is 'Totally Tan'. Can I carry the Edgecomb Gray into the living room? Would that help with the flow or would EG not match the sofas? I am keeping my sofa and love seat as they were expensive purchases, so please don't tell me to change those, but everything else is negotiable. LOL.

Comments (207)

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    You know what, Najeebah. The rectangular table does not jump out at me. It is just a plain boring table and I feel like I am just settling. Funny enough, despite all of you suggesting otherwise, I am still leaning towards the teardrop shaped one. I know my furniture is heavy, but so is the furniture in the display room and it seems to fit. I realize my furniture is more traditional but, as I said before, I tend to mix and match. For some reason, I keep going back to the teardrop!

As I can still return before I take delivery, I think I will order it anyway. Then I will paint my room and put down a rug and see at that point whether I want to take delivery of the teardrop. I can find a rectangular table anywhere at anytime but, for some reason, the teardrop screams out at me. But I do agree that I should not try to match it with the side table. If I am going to go with the teardrop, it will be just the one piece. I know some of you are rolling your eyes right now but I can't please everyone!!!

I'm going to pick up the rug because it too is a bargain ($250 plus tax --which here is 13%!!!). Can return it up to 30 days so I have time to think.

So, the three pictures below show the art, the general light colour of my wall, the table and the carpet I am thinking of piecing together.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

In any event - get the rug!

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    alright, we'll wait to see how it comes together. I quite like the rug
  • indomom
    6 years ago

The teardrop might look very pretty on that rug!

• PRO
    Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
    6 years ago
    Most important thing? YOU have to love it :) excited to see it taking shape....
  • rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Mimy!

I have taken a few pictures of the room as it is now. I painted the wall behind the sofa to get the feel of the living room when you look in from my front hall. The rest of the painting will be done by a professional who actually knows how to paint. LOL

I still am going to go with the teardrop coffee table. It is supposed to come in a few days and I will take a picture. I think it is a little bit of a statement piece and I really like the shape and flow. Meanwhile, I found this rug at Cosco. It incorporates the gray and the tan. I'm not sure if I like this "distressed" look that is big in the carpets right now, but, because it is Costco, I can return it I find something better.

I have a working TV on top of the piano. It may be a bit small so it might look better if I mounted to the wall but I will live with it like this for a while.
  • rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Forgot to attach the pics!
  • jayapple21
    6 years ago

The lighter rug, placement of wall art, and new wall color make a tremendous difference. Nicely done!

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Jayapple. So far, all it has cost me is $200 for the new Costco rug! I think it looks pretty good to say that there are certain items I have to work around such as my big tan sofas and my piano. I always thought that my sofas lent themselves to heavy furniture, but I really like the new lighter look! Stay tuned for the modern glass coffee table--I think that is going to make a huge difference (although many people suggested against it!). I also have to think about curtains. I think I will put a rod underneath the bulkhead and just hang straight curtains to the side of the bay window. If I am going to sit at night and watch TV, I don't want people to see how much wine I drink when out walking their dogs! (I might have to share! LOL)
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Love the wall color and the new carpet! What a difference they make. I think your new coffee table is going to suit you and your space very well. What color curtains are you going to use?

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That was going to be my next question!! What colour/fabric curtains? I think something light and flowy....
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I think something in a natural linen color would look great with the rug and the wall color. Something like this only in a grommet or hung from rings. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Classic-Linen-Blend-Curtain-Panel/8533964/product.html?recset=88e08915-44a1-4a0c-8b8f-0300ee3734f2&refccid=NGQRGPELAJ5KQA2JBZQSZ3XRXY&searchidx=0&recalg=63&recidx=0&keywords=linen%20curtains&refinement= 

Home Goods usually has a good selection of that style. A relaxed roman shade would also look pretty if you have the room to mount them in the windows.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

NO CURTAINS! Sorry for shouting. Curtains on a bay look stupid, IMO. Shades if you need privacy.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Shades...

Library 2 · More Info

Irving Avenue · More Info
    Or nothing at all:
    MDVN · More Info

This just ruins the whole look of the bay:

Traditional Living Room · More Info

• indomom
    6 years ago

Roman shades would look really nice and updated; they also wouldn't interfere with your plants. :)

• jansgirl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

One of my favorites is the second shade that grover posted-especially for privacy .The top down bottom up shades. They come in all different colors but I'd match the window trim or go with your wall color. They end up working like a cafe type curtain where your body is covered but you can still see outside. You could watch TV and drink wine in the nude!

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I can see how shades are much nicer. Unfortunately, it is very hard to mount shades on my window because there is no space between the three windows. Not sure if you can see here clearly.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

That TV is the perfect size for that room. I would not mount it on the wall, but find a nice console to put it on. An updated lamp would also help lighten things up.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Rebecca, get a window professional to look at your windows. I have friends with a very difficult window that covers an entire wall and somehow the guy managed to do a top down/bottom up shade that looks beautiful and works flawlessly. It can be done.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Rebecca, the top down blinds are an inside mount. I can't really see your windows that well to see if this would be easy. You need about 1-2" to mount these. Surprisingly affordable, too. (I'm a cheapskate) Check out: https://www.americanblinds.com/ 

I've bought from them three times now. No problems.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    The room looks good already, Rebecca. I agree to wall mounting the TV while the piano is there, it would look far better, and planned. I would think curtains would work, either straight across or a bent rod around, or the separate rods. Shades look fine too, but I think rather not solid ones, either fully open or fully closed to the outdoors. Something like the pictures posted by Grover would work better
  • rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Do you guys think the table in front of the window is ruining the look of my living room? It's just that I use that table a lot as it opens up and can seat extra people when I have dinner parties. It is really the only place I can put it.
  • mjconti
    6 years ago

If the table is functional, serves a purpose and is useful for YOU and your lifestyle, that is all that matters. Other's opinions on how to make a room picture perfect don't matter. Sometimes picture perfect isn't practical for day to day living. There are as many opinions and varieties of taste as there are people. It is a matter of personal taste. Often times, too many opinions can make us more confused than we were to begin with and makes us more fearful of choosing the wrong thing. Our homes have to please us and work for us. Enjoy your room!

• indomom
    6 years ago

If you use it a lot and that's the only place you can put it, I think you've answered your question. :)

If you did want to move it, is there room behind the love seat? Almost like a console table back there?

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    I had wondered on that, it seems a bit like an extra, but not too bad, particularly for an occasional use room
  • jayapple21
    6 years ago

The window would be nice without the table in front of it but since you use it frequently it needs to stay somewhere near. It think it looks fine with your current coffee table. How do you think it will go with the new modern contemporary glass coffee table?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

The table is fine in front of the window.

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, Marilynjac, 'picture perfect' is always what you see when you go into a staged home for real estate purposes. But those people are living out of boxes in their garage. It is impossible to live in a home that looks staged all the time (although there is something to be said about minimizing!) LOL

No, no room behind the sofa table because the dining room is pretty cramped as it is. As for my new table, it is being delivered tonight so I will post pictures and we will see!
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

The table is not bad, but that faux tree needs to be replaced. Can you put a real one there?

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like my new table!

As for the tree, what's wrong with it? I can't grow a wart let alone a plant, so I have to go with a fake one. I actually have a little mini white lights on it that I turn on for ambience sometimes. If you don't like it, what would you replace it with?
  • mjconti
    6 years ago

Your fake tree is fine. It would be difficult to maintain a real plant/tree of that size: watering the correct amount, fertilizing, is it getting too much sun or too little. They also can be messy, drop leaves, etc. Some fakes are very realistic. Many designers use silk flowers instead of the real thing and that seems to be acceptable.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Rebecca!!! I was, I will confess, a bit of a doubter about the table, but with the new rug(which is fantastic and really brightened the whole space) and the artwork? It looks really great!
    Tree? What tree? ;)
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Since you can't get a real one, I'd replace it with a faux palm(areca, kentia).

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Mimy! I can't believe how much lighter the room feels!
    Should I lose the tree completely? Perhaps just another side table? I like the proportion of something with height there though. Perhaps a tall floor lamp?
  • rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oooops...I pressed submit too quickly! Look at the before and the after! ^^
  • Stephanie Gibbs
    6 years ago
    So, just to muddy the waters, let me add a thought I had. It seems that the real root cause here is the low natural light in the living room. What if you widened the opening, moving your pretty piano but leaving enough room for your tv, and re-trim without a door. OR, make it wide enough for 2 elegant doors like the one you have, to hang on barn door hardware. It is still quite possible to keep the sliding door installation as traditional as the rest of your home, with some imagination. That last bit might be too far out, but it is a thought. I think though, the natural light from your entry may illuminate the LR to show exactly what color for walls and art.
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Don't you love the change? Very, very well done. (and you did a lot on your own--with moral support, of course!)

• jayapple21
    6 years ago

OMG, you work fast, girl! Look how different your living room looks from just 7-10 days ago. All the new items work, including the new table. I like the touch of green from the faux tree but if you decide to remove it here's another option: the bow window sits in a recessed area of the wall. You could get a long curtain rod that goes from one side of the recessed area to the other as high above the window as possible staying within the recessed area. Hang curtains/sheers, keeping them at the far ends of the rod (in the recessed wall area flanking the window) until you want to draw them closed. The vertical curtain might be all you need to fill the place of the faux tree.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Looks great. All that's left is the paint.

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Stephanie--not sure it is even possible but don't want to get into any structural work right now! Opening up the space would create a flooring nightmare too.

Thanks, Jansgirl--yes I do move quickly when I get an idea in my head--it drives hubby crazy 'cuz I expect him to move just as quickly with MY ideas...no time like the present...up and at 'em!!! LOL. Now, as groveraxle says, I just have to get to the painting...hopefully, I can get my painter to move quickly!

Yes, Jayapple, I was originally thinking of doing exactly that with curtains until groveraxle sent a pic of bay windows with curtains and they really distracted from the look of the bay. Now, I'm not sure...

On a different note--every time I return to these comments, I have to scroll down to the bottom. Is there a way to sort the replies so the most recent appear first???
  • rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    BTW...Groveraxle...I did paint the one wall behind the sofa. Not sure if you saw that. Do you guys like that 'greige' colour I chose or would you like to see more grey and less taupe?
  • Harper
    6 years ago
    I like your wall colour.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

I did see your paint sample, Rebecca, and I like it.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    looking good! I think I'd prefer purer gray, to lessen the orange feel, and give the sofa a bolder and deeper look. I also think gray would work better with the new table, but the greige at present can work if you like it. It's a great improvement in any case.
  • mo mad
    6 years ago

Everything looks great! Rebecca, did you buy that rug at your local Costco?

• mo mad
    6 years ago

Everything looks great! Rebecca, did you buy that rug at your local Costco?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I think the paint color is great. I like the color the plant brings to the room as well. Love the new coffee table. The dark wood base gives it some weight but the glass keeps it from being too overwhelming. Great choice!

• PRO
    6 years ago
    I would live with the tree for a bit and see how it feels. I don't happen to like artificial greenery but it is handy!
  • jayapple21
    6 years ago

Although I like your windows unadorned, you mentioned the need for some kind of covering for privacy. Have you considered wide white plantation shutters on the bottom half of the windows (if coverage for the lower part would be sufficient)?

• rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes Mo mad--Costco has these rugs in four different colors. The distressed look. But I am in Ontario Canada so I don't know what your local store would have.

Thanks Jay Apple. That is a great idea and I only would need the half shutters because I am just concerned when I am sitting on the couch at night. However, if you zoom into my bay window you will see that there is a problem melting any hardware on it. The inside is just not deep enough and the outside frame is not large enough to share between the two windows (if you understand what I am saying). I think I will live with them bare for now and hope that there are no Peeping Toms in my area! Of course, at my age, it might be the only flattery I get. LOL

I just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their comments. I have not responded to everyone personally, but have taken everyone's ideas into account and even listened to some! I have come to really rely on HOUZZ and find it amazing that people take the time to help like this. I do this on the travel sites because travel is my passion so, as they say, pay it forward. Love you all!